can't consume 1600 calories

Options
1235»

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ok..maybe I need to rephrase this. I didn't gain fat from a medical issue. It's been more difficult to lose weight due to it. Secondly..sure I can eat 1600 with no problem..if I change my diet to pizza and crap. That's why I was heavier prior. It's not that I "don't know how"...it's more difficult while eating healthy. Why doesn't anyone get it? Also..I AM successful..I AM losing and toning. I know the truth and can accept it..but rude is rude! :'(

I manage to reach 2000 cals without eating pizza and crap on a daily basis. I do still enjoy pizza and other "crap", if you by crap you mean burgers, fries, ice cream, cookies, beer, wine & margaritas, just not every day. But mostly I reach my goal within 100 cals on either side by eating healthy foods.

It is entirely possible to reach 1600 calories on good, healthy foods without having to stuff yourself with broccoli.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Yes you can. I believe in you.

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    <rolls eyes>

Because you got to where you needed to lose weight by eating less than 1600, right?

This is always my thought, lol. How did you get overweight to begin with when you can't manage to eat 1600 calories?

1st off...youre comment is rude. Obviously I didn't care no track my intake. I am eating very healthy now so I fill up on less food. I also have a medical issue I care not to.discuss. Thanks to everyone.else for the positive input

Medical issue won't cause you to gain fat simply due to the issue. You still have to eat above maintenance.

Stop stop right there.

Uncontrolled diabetes and Undetected Hypo thyroid either or a storm of both can make one gain weight. Both medical conditions.

You are an EMT guy aren't you? You should know better.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    <rolls eyes>

Because you got to where you needed to lose weight by eating less than 1600, right?

This is always my thought, lol. How did you get overweight to begin with when you can't manage to eat 1600 calories?

1st off...youre comment is rude. Obviously I didn't care no track my intake. I am eating very healthy now so I fill up on less food. I also have a medical issue I care not to.discuss. Thanks to everyone.else for the positive input

Medical issue won't cause you to gain fat simply due to the issue. You still have to eat above maintenance.

Stop stop right there.

Uncontrolled diabetes and Undetected Hypo thyroid either or a storm of both can make one gain weight. Both medical conditions.

First off she already stated that she has an issue, which I'm assuming has been diagnose by a doctor. Secondly she is losing weight not gaining, as she stated that already.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    <rolls eyes>

Stop stop right there.

Medical conditions can change the numbers but not the basic CICO formula

Maintenance calories can be lower due to medical conditions

Doesn't make him wrong in his assertion it's still down to calories in calories out
  • runner475
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    <rolls eyes>

Stop stop right there.

First off she already stated that she has an issue, which I'm assuming has been diagnose by a doctor. Secondly she is losing weight not gaining, as she stated that already.

I'm refering to MrM ... They said "Medical issue won't cause you to gain fat simply due to the issue. "

I'm not talking about OP.

Also just because thyroid is diagnosed doesn't mean the end of treatment. The TSH and/or T3 and T4 test are to be done periodically as in every 6 months and very much encouraged by insurance. The medication strength has to be adjusted as the test results come in.

Let's say in Aug 2014 my TSH reading was 0.2 and meds prescribed was at 125 mcg. Chances are b'coz TSH level has fallen so low they would lower my meds. This roller coaster changes every time reading go out of suggested range.

With Diabetes and Thyroid it's an ongoing process. You cannot say "it's diagnosed so it's the end of treatment"

EDTA : Typo
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    <rolls eyes>

Stop stop right there.

Medical conditions can change the numbers but not the basic CICO formula

Maintenance calories can be lower due to medical conditions

Doesn't make him wrong in his assertion it's still down to calories in calories out

so much this...

CICO still applies you just have to get the in and out side right...which may require medicine..
  • runner475
    Options
    <rolls eyes>

Stop stop right there.

Medical conditions do not make you gain weight without you actually eating at a surplus. That's not hard to understand. Both of those conditions you mentioned would both require you to eat at a surfs to gain weight.

I know you are itching to come at me but at least pick your battle properly. Also, the emotion you are showing in your post isn't a good look.

And yes, I am an "EMT guy", thanks for creeping my profile. Hope you enjoyed the pictures as well. I love my fans.

In that case - Explain me consequences of Hypothyroidism with incorrect med strength. What are the symptoms.?

As for EMT - you brought that up couple of times. That's how I know. Yeah!!! Saw your pics. You look cute.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Are you using skinny/diet/non fat products? Change those to normal products
    no fat yogurt for normal yogurt
    skim milk for full milk etc
    Use a spoon of olive oil in salads/dressings or cooking ( 120 calories) etc etc

And why was this flagged?

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Are you using skinny/diet/non fat products? Change those to normal products
    no fat yogurt for normal yogurt
    skim milk for full milk etc
    Use a spoon of olive oil in salads/dressings or cooking ( 120 calories) etc etc

And why was this flagged?

I attempted to flag your question but it didn't work.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP, you lost about 10 pounds and have 10 pounds to go. Any chance you could increase your calories and drop weight a little slower? Also, any chance you could incorporate foods in moderation and balance?

Last, what is/was the medical condition?
  • kaviles1976
    kaviles1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    <rolls eyes>

Stop stop right there.

I'm refering to MrM ... They said "Medical issue won't cause you to gain fat simply due to the issue. "

Also just because thyroid is diagnosed doesn't mean the end of treatment. The TSH and/or T3 and T4 test are to be done periodically as in every 6 months and very much encouraged by insurance. The medication strength has to be adjusted as the test results come in.

Let's say in Aug 2014 my TSH reading was 0.2 and meds prescribed was at 125 mcg. Chances are b'coz TSH level has fallen so low they would lower my meds. This roller coaster changes every time reading go out of suggested range.

With Diabetes and Thyroid it's an ongoing process. You cannot say "it's diagnosed so it's the end of treatment"

Hashimotos (severe thyroid) is just one my conditions. Others medical issues can cause great edema. I said weight gain...not necessarily fat gain. While others reduce your metobolism. I am in the health field...
  • runner475
    Options
    <rolls eyes>

Stop stop right there.

Hashimotos (severe thyroid) is just one my conditions. Others medical issues can cause great edema. I said weight gain...not necessarily fat gain. While others reduce your metobolism. I am in the health field...

OP said it.
  • runner475
    Options
    OP, you best bet would be to look up these 2 groups in MFP

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/16887-butterfly-chasers

You'll get lot more technical response to your question
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    OP, I honestly did have the same question about once being overweight and not being able to eat 1600 calories all of a sudden. I saw your answer about easily being able to do it eating "pizza and crap". Anyway, I eat 1600 calories a day. Have a look at my diary if you want ideas. I do eat ice cream or something every night.

I didn't see if you were weighing everything on a food scale. If you are not, you could easily be eating 1600+ without knowing it. Just a thought.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'll offer an idea. You have managed to get control by carefully counting to your allowance, but are afraid to eat too much and end up worse off (uncontrolled weight gain).

What if you looked at the added treat at the end of the day to get you to your allowance as an experiment? Use the same type of treat and the same portion every day you need to get to your minimum. Track the results.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    monkey-washing-a-cat.gif

This thread has been cleaned up, please stay on topic.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP my question was genuine and there was no snark intended. I was truly interested in hearing the explanation.
    It hit home with me, because my tdee is 1600, and I need to work to stay under it! I haven't eaten pizza for months, nor do I shovel junk food down my throat! However, days on end filled with chicken breast and vegies don't appeal to me either.
    I'm still learning, and I'm totally aware there are things I can tweak in my diary to make staying under my goal easier, I just have to re find my willpower that has gone awol and get off my *kitten* and start exercising....