Can't consume 1200 calories

Options
I can't consume 1200 calories and I don't know how to do that and to eat clean? I stopped eating sweets, bread, fast food and that stuff so is there any way to consume 1200 calories without 'bad food' ? Help me please :smile:

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your best friends when you're trying to boost your calories. This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as bad food

Add oils, avocado, cheese to your food

Eat chocolate, chips, cookies or whatever you like

Cutting out foods can lead to crashing and burning for many people, you may buck the trend but generally best to learn how to eat everything to your calorie limit

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Friend me. Check out my diary. It's not all "clean"....I do about 80/20 whole foods to processed things. I eat 1500-2k calories so you can easy cut out the bad stuff and get 1200.

You can easily consume 2000+ calories on healthy food. Depending on your definition of clean, some of these you may have to exclude....but for a general idea of healthy foods that can easily add up to 1200 calories: chicken, fish, eggs, beans, green beans, spinach, cheese, yogurt, lima beans, white/black beans, whole grain rice, nuts, honey, carrots, celery, hummus, venison, lean beef, tomatoes, broccoli. I mean really the list is endless.

BTW - are you sure 1200 is what you should be eating? Recheck your calculations, that is the minimum suggested by most health care professionals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    There is no such thing as bad food

Add oils, avocado, cheese to your food

Eat chocolate, chips, cookies or whatever you like

Cutting out foods can lead to crashing and burning for many people, you may buck the trend but generally best to learn how to eat everything to your calorie limit

All of this!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I hope you're talking about 1200 net. Reading you exercise at least 5 days a week, your intake should most likely be quite a bit more in order to properly fuel your body while losing.
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1100 and 1200 daily...always get enough and with the exception of a few days right before my period, I am not hungry. I agree with that list above. I eat eggs, cottage cheese and chicken for protein. I eat a tortilla or sourdough bread if I am craving the breads..usually with the cottage cheese and chicken. But sometimes a burrito with beans, cheese and avocado really hits the spot. I add quinoa into the mix. I mix in a lot of veggies so I get those. I love sautéing mushrooms, onions, spinach and kale in some olive oil. Some days I have a smoothie with banana and berries and almond milk. Gives me more calories and fills me up. Play around with your foods and I think you will find it won't be too hard after a time.
  • emmajwillams256
    emmajwillams256 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be careful of entering starvation mode. I find that once I stop being hungry, I start holding weight. If you are having a hard time hitting 1200, you are most likely eating too little. I agree that calorie dense foods are the best way to go...avocados and almonds are my go-to snacks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    downton-abbey-lady-violet-GIF-season-2-episode-5.gif

Part of being healthy and fit is not only getting rockin' nutrition, but also fueling your body properly.

1200 calories is nothing...it's bottom of the barrel for a sedentary female.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Usually, the fastest and easiest way to add calories is with oil and fat. Add a sour cream based salad dressing or some hummus. Or coconut or olive oil.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    There are no "bad" foods.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You mean 1200 calories per meal, right? Because 1200 calories per day is a piece of cake, pun intended.

You obviously ate over 1200 calories per day in order to need to lose weight. Your problem is that you're labeling foods as "good" and "bad." No food is bad. If it fits into your calories, eat it.
  • profilce
    profilce Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody! I checked this calculator twice and it says I should eat 1200 calories a day. I exercise 5 days a week.In these 5 days, I'm at the gym on Monday. I can eat like 700 calories and then I think that I ate too much. But I know that I should eat more because I shouldn't starve myself and I'm not trying to do that. I agree with you Lindsey! I've gained pounds last year because I didn't work out for one year and ate lots of junk food like pizza, mc donald's stuff etc
  • katiely95
    katiely95 Posts: 63 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was having the same problem in the beginning. I started to become "afraid" of foods, eating much lower calorie and macro-wise than what myfitnesspal would allow me to eat to successfully complete my log. After pretty much starving myself, which I didn't even realize, because I'd claim to be "full", I had the worst attack of binge eating I could ever have imagined and made myself really sick. I also stopped losing weight for a little while. I finally started having more nutrient dense foods, like Ezekiel bread, and tortillas, guacamole and even yogurts and cookies every once in awhile, and I'm finally losing weight again, even though I upped my calories. I feel so much better on the daily, and even when working out.

Please, don't let this happen to you. I'm currently going to the doctor because I think I may have caused some bodily harm from it, due to symptoms I have been experiencing. Even if you aren't hungry, add butter to your veggies, or cook with olive oil. Use real sugar instead of 0 calorie sweeteners.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I just do not understand when people say they have a hard time eating 1200 calories. I have a hard time eating that cause it is too low for me.

You need to have a better relationship with food.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bad foods is an outdated term. You can eat at McDonald's and burger King if you want as long as you hit your macronutrients goals for the day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    profilce wrote: »
    Thank you everybody! I checked this calculator twice and it says I should eat 1200 calories a day. I exercise 5 days a week.In these 5 days, I'm at the gym on Monday. I can eat like 700 calories and then I think that I ate too much. But I know that I should eat more because I shouldn't starve myself and I'm not trying to do that. I agree with you Lindsey! I've gained pounds last year because I didn't work out for one year and ate lots of junk food like pizza, mc donald's stuff etc

Let me guess...you selected 2 Lbs per week as your goal (very aggressive) and you put your activity level to sedentary...even though you're probably not sedentary...and obviously you are working out so you need to account for that activity too.

As others have stated...you don't need more volume...eat more calorie dense foods...eat some frickin' fat...it's good for you. Srly...dietary fat is essential to proper and balanced nutrition.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Fast food, cookies, pizza, chips, french fries, cake, and similar delicious foodstuffs doesn't cause weight gain. Having a surplus intake of calories causes weight gain.

As previous posters have mentioned, there is no such thing as bad food. And if you are working out 5 days a week, you should be eating way more than 1200 calories.
  • profilce
    profilce Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13‌ yes if that 1kg per week? I put my activity to active because I spend most of day walking and then I have my training. :smile: Maybe I should lower my goal?
    As one girl said before, I'm a bit scared of that food and I only eat it when I really have to like when I'm in a rush, like today I ate one apple pie at mc donald's.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

What did you enter when you checked this calculator twice? You didn't answer my question of 1200 net or gross either, but I have a really bad feeling you mean gross.