Bummed...what have I done?

Options
Last year I had lost close to 30 pounds. I was so proud and felt awesome! Well I've gained almost all of it back. I cannot seem to get back on track. When I get home after a long day at work I have a few drinks, relax, do a few things around the house, make dinner (not healthy anymore) and sit my booty on the couch for the night. I cannot get out of this funk and my clothes are getting tighter and tighter. I used to go for walks or bike rides every night. I was counting calories like a mad woman and I felt really good! Life has been stressful....we have moved and bought a house, work has been a little stressful and in the meantime I've put this weight back on.
I am so mad at myself and feeling almost depressed about it. How can I jumpstart back to the way I was before? I was thinking of trying Advocare's 21 Challenge. I've heard great things about it. When I lost the weight last year I didn't do any special plans...just cut calories and exercised. but this time I feel like I need something to get me started.

Any thoughts or comments??

Replies

• ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Eat less and move more. The more you move the better you will feel. Sometimes you just have to get up and get moving no matter how tired you feel.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    No need for a jumpstart (whatever that is considering you're clearly not a car battery) just start, right now, right this second, start weighing and logging and being diligent with your intake. It's really that simple, no need to do anything special, just do what you know you need to do.

Rigger
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Since you are looking for comments, have you SEEN the distribution on am@zon reviews for the Advocare 24 day challenge? There's more 1 star reviews than anything else, yikes! I'd read those first, since those people tried it.

w9gh5adx01j2.jpg
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well first of all, being mad & beating yourself up about it is only going to make you feel worse and most likely drive you to eat more. Accept that the weight is back - it sucks, but it doesn't have to be permanent.

I'd say start with baby steps. Are you logging your food? If not, start, even if you don't change your eating habits right away. Sometimes just seeing the numbers can give you a kick in the butt. Since you've moved, why don't you go for a walk/bike ride to check out the new area? Don't think of it as "exercising", you're just exploring & getting some movement in as a bonus. You might plan on only 10-15 minutes, but once you're out you will probably realize you want to go for longer.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was to see logging and exercise as appointments that I made with myself. I would track everything I was going to eat for the day first thing in the morning. To avoid the "going home and sitting" mind set I would take my gym clothes with me to work and change before I left. That was I would not be tempted to go home and sit. I also changed my route that I drove so I would have to pass the gym on the way home.

I would avoid any of the jump start stuff. I just think they don't benefit you in the long run.

Good luck!
  • Megoondas
    Megoondas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. Two years ago, I did a great job of keeping myself on track and I lost some weight; started to feel really good about myself. Then my grandfather, who lived next door to me growing up, was dying of cancer and I spent lots of my free time with him and my father. He passed in February of 2013, then my other grandfather passed in August of the same year. I put on the weight I lost, and an extra 10 pounds! I stopped making that commitment to myself at the time when it was most important.

I've recently begun getting up at 4:30am every weekday to exercise before work. I pack my breakfast, lunch, and snacks the night before, as well as my work clothes and whatever I need for the next day. Something kicked me in the butt - I don't know what it was...an epiphany? I knew I could do better and be better for myself. Even though I started getting up very early to get my workouts in, I have more energy than I've felt in a long time. I know if I wait until after work to exercise, I won't do it, so I get it done first thing. Within the first week of doing this, I already felt more energized because I realized that I have control over the choices I make. I have two kids at home, a 6- and 7-year-old, and I work full time, so I know what it's like to get home from work then have to do MORE work. But I realized that it's not an excuse.

During that "epiphany," I also realized that this is something I have to do long-term. The changes I've made are ones that I can stick with. I know I can dedicate 45 minutes to an hour of exercise 5-6 times a week, and I know I can stick to the foods I've been eating. I'm not going to lose weight quickly by doing this, but slow and steady wins the race. It's hard work to keep on it, but it'll be worth it...it already is worth it. I feel so much better (I feel in control), and I've started losing weight. You don't need a quick fix, you need to see the big picture. <3
  • RudeboyCantFail
    RudeboyCantFail Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When you say you get home from work and "have a few drinks" are you talking about alcohol? If so, and it's a daily thing, alcohol is a depressant and may be contributing to your "feeling almost depressed." You might want to think about cutting that back as one step. Aside from depression, personally I find when I drink alcohol I lose all motivation to do other productive things afterwards. I limit my consumption to social activities.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    A lot of people use MFP to help create healthy lifestyle changes. Eating less (preferably healthier) and moving more. There is no jump starting, there is just making day in and day out choices to a healthier lifestyle. Start counting calories now :)
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you remove all the details from our stories, we have more or less the same one. Lost a bunch, hit a ton of obstacles and made the choice to stop working at it, gained a bunch back. Clothes getting tighter again. Not wanting to go up and have to buy more, but not really sure I could muster what would be needed to get back on track with all the current obstacles.

I started with just fitness. I love working out. That bumped up my energy and made me feel like I had more to give. And it made me feel more confident that I COULD tackle the obstacles (less overwhelmed, less depressed).

I then set my goal to maintenance on MFP. And started logging again. Day 1 goal was just to log. I was over (obviously, as I'd been gaining). Day 2 goal was just to eat less than Day 1. Day 3 and onward was just to be at or below maintenance. I monitored my deficit for a couple weeks, and set a stretch goal (that would amount to a 0.5 lb loss per week). Once I nail that, I'll see if I can manage 1 lb per week.

You may be able to go a little faster. I am trying to manage a lot (including my mental health), and since I control very little in my environment right now, I am being extra gentle with my dietary changes. I would actually be happy with maintaining until my lifestyle does change (it will, this is temporary), and then turn more full focus and energy to food and weight loss at that time.

My point is more that it's okay to ease into it. It's a big adjustment. You can take a few weeks to slip in and work your way up. Build yourself up. You don't have to beat yourself up, and you don't have to dive in with a jumpstart. It doesn't have to be all to the max, all or nothing, 2 lbs a week, immaculate diet, etc.
  • korishka
    korishka Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started with the 24 Day Challenge and I lost 15lbs.. I wouldn't suggest looking to close at reviews on a website especially because those people are not buying it through a distributor and getting proper support. I stand behind Advocare 100%, a very good friend of mine just hit her 50lb mark because of Advocare. I have reached 20lbs myself. The 24 Day Challenge is a great way to jump back in a long as it is done properly, through a distributor getting the right support, meal plans, and coaching.
  • iamchuckbass78
    iamchuckbass78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. That's where I am about right now. I'm completely beating myself up over it too. A week ago I started using meal replacement shakes and really watching my calories. This week I started doing the 30 Day Shred. Looking at before/after weight loss photos motivates me too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    just do what you did last time...it's not really rocket science.

If you are looking for motivation look inside not on the forums.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what's so much harder about making healthier dinners than 'not healthy' dinners, if you're going to cook anyway.

What do you do when you just sit on the couch? Buy an exercise bike and do it on the bike instead. It doesn't have to be 'either or'.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a good routine before, but it was based off of living somewhere else and a less stressful job. Just because that worked for you then doesn't mean it will now, considering you have moved and have additional stress. Make a NEW plan. Do something different than you did before: can you workout before work? Can you start making healthier dinners just a couple times a week to begin with? And, I'm not encouraging using alcohol as a reward, but maybe make sure that you don't have a drink until after you've gone for a walk or for a bike ride.

Put something in the crockpot in the morning or prep a meal and then pop it in the oven when you get home. Without thinking about it go out and walk or ride your bike. Then come home and do your relaxing routine. I incorporate my workout time as part of my work day (even if it is directly after work). That way it's not an option. Then I come home and wind down for the day.

I get out of work anytime between 3:00 - 3:30 but go directly to the gym, so if anyone asks what time I get off of work the answer is 5:00 or so.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    korishka wrote: »
    I started with the 24 Day Challenge and I lost 15lbs.. I wouldn't suggest looking to close at reviews on a website especially because those people are not buying it through a distributor and getting proper support. I stand behind Advocare 100%, a very good friend of mine just hit her 50lb mark because of Advocare. I have reached 20lbs myself. The 24 Day Challenge is a great way to jump back in a long as it is done properly, through a distributor getting the right support, meal plans, and coaching.

What is your friend going to do when it's time to come off of the Advocare? Will she have learned portion control and developed a healthy relationship with food? Is she planning on forking over the cash for the shakes for the rest of her life?

Also buying through a distributor is the worst thing you can do with these types of programs. They'll always have your contact information, they'll always view you as a potential customer, and they'll be there waiting like vultures as soon as the weight comes back.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The diet marketers bank on people like you that want to start feeling better right away. Don't get suckered in. I suggest making a personal contract with yourself to do something different this week; not to difficult a goal, something you can definitely do. Make that a permanent change and you have a new habit. Re-evaluate in a few weeks and change something else. Over time you will be back to that bike-riding, active, slimmer you.

Right away if you switch to one drink in the evening you are going to see a significant drop in daily calories.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I've never done Advocare because I know it doesn't work, but I've known at least 10 distributors/users, and none of them have kept the weight off. That's enough evidence for me.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Honestly, given that you're looking at a drug-fueled hyper-restrictive diet as a solution, I strongly suggest you start by focusing on movement and exercise. Get some short workouts in - do it in the morning if the afternoon is too rough. Or just take a nice walk after dinner and before couch time. Getting involved with a pyramid scheme full of stimulants and extreme calorie reduction is NOT likely to reduce your stress. I think if you can start to feel a little better the rest will fall back into place, and I always believe that exercise is the best way to feel better.
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I can relate- I just got back on the wagon again myself. For me, winter hit in NOH- coldest winter on record, so no walking outside. But what got me back on the path was hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions. Doesn't have to be a long time- but it helped to get back in the routine and there was accountability. Only had 2 session...over the past 3 weeks and I am completely rededicated to eating and working out. Its hard to eat bad when I feel the uncomfortableness in my muscles after strength training...it's a reminder of what I am working towards.
  • 1Foot2Foot
    1Foot2Foot Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been there, several times, and most recently I ran across this set of easy action steps from a MFP user/blogger to help get started (for the first time or the 10th time), http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2014/04/29/5-things-you-can-do-in-the-next-24-hours-to-start-your-weight-loss-journey/

Going through these really helped me feel some control right away, especially meal planning. If I take a couple hours to plan ahead for the week, I don't have as many tough in the moment decisions that often lead to poor choices. In the last couple of months since I've gotten serious again about my health, I've been able to be gracious with myself and have lost pounds along the way.