What is your recommended small change to make?

Options
MFD7576
MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I was just curious,

What small changes have you guys found most effective on the path to glory? So far Ive cut out soda and what not, but I would like to see what else the world of health has to offer :)

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Leave a little on your plate.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Eat less.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I created a very strict system to follow so this whole thing would become a thoughtless process. it helps.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Add in exercise every day!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Eat less of ALL the types of food I've always eaten, without cutting anything out. It's the only way I've stuck with this. Oh... and having my goal at 0.5 lb loss/week, that way I have a lot of calories to eat while losing weight.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I found eating more vegetables was a good first step for me because it doesn't involve avoiding anything or deprivation. The more low-starch veggies I ate, the less room I had for everything else, so I not only felt better, but I lowered my overall calorie intake without really trying.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate not milk chocolate (I can't stop with milk).
    Also lower calories during the week so I can relax on the weekend
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Move more. Park at the back of the parking lot. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk on your short breaks and lunch break during the work day. Just making it a habit to move a little more each day adds up and often leads to becoming more active by choice.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Cooking your own meals, if you don't cook start with one meal a day. Also weighing your food, even if you eating more than a portion weigh it anyway.
  • NoSFan
    NoSFan Posts: 11
    Options
    I enjoy going out to eat. So I eat half (or less) of whatever I choose from the menu. Helps me enjoy life and stay within my calorie allotment.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Scotch and coke.

700kj per can adds up, especially if it takes a 10 pack to feel the affects.

I'm sure going from 6-10cans a weekend to zero helps. Especially when drinking lead to food. So 5 cans lead to a whole pizza and a lava cake.

And there you have it. 11k KJ for dinner. Like 2700 cal for one meal.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    1. I drink more water.
    2. Eat slower/chew more so that I give my brain time to know that I'm satisfied.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Eat less. And I like high volume, so lots of veggies and always meat/protein..and fat.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, move more everyday steps wise (I have a tendency to do my workout and stay seated for hours afterwards), don't let my cheat meal be so extravagant that it derails my progress for the entire week (I do a better job of working it into my calories now), and eat more fruits and veggies everyday. My other piece of advice is not to think that you have to lose the weight super fast, you are able to progress at your own pace and work towards losing weight each week.
  • mkvigneau
    mkvigneau Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Measure (weigh) everything. I had no idea how much I was eating.
    Hand in hand with that is log everything, especially the stuff I am not proud of. It is amazing when I can see it's bad, but not that bad, compared to not logging, and then thinking, "well, I blew this day, so I might as well eat the fridge."
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water! I found out most my, "hunger cues," were just my body asking for more water.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to second taking smaller bites, chewing thoroughly, and eating slower. It helps you feel more satisfied with less food.

Also weighing my food has made a huge difference from past attempts at weight loss.
  • DressedInDreams
    DressedInDreams Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale has probably made the biggest difference for me so far. That, and changing my goals to 1 lb per week. 2 lb was too aggressive and I was hangry.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started logging.
    I cut one toast at breakfast.
    Logged fries once and then decided to cut them out.
    Kept salad in the fridge to have with meals.
    Started the treadmill, 15 minutes a day.
    Took the stairs more often.
    Cut snack calories by half; switched to low fat cheese.
    Joined the health club, one month with an instructor.
    Took up Zumba, weekly.
    Signed up for 5KM charity walks.
    Cut restaurant meals weekly by half.
    Took up Yoga.
    Bored with walking, took a running class. Signed up for some runs.

And so on.
  • golfgirl99
    golfgirl99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Logging prior to eating out. I look up and make a selection before I go. If left to my own choice while hungry I'm doomed. Same thing goes for bringing my lunch to work. If I don't and eat at work it's usually a bad idea and hard to track.