Crossfit

Options
2»

Replies

• clabq0914
    clabq0914 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ^been in plenty of boxes :)

I guess there's a market for everything. If you want that skinny runner look with hipster haircut and striped knee high socks throwing such diet fads around like paleo and primal, then it'd be right up your alley. Depends on which side of the fence you are on, but kool-aid is probably the best description for crossfit, since it's mostly considered a marketing sport, rather than a body or physique training.

Wild butterfly chinups, daily olympic weights AMRAP, constant 7day a week full-body workouts, hernias, and torn labrums, go for it OP!

201908178327439749132927.gif

Kqctx.gif

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    clabq0914 wrote: »

201908178327439749132927.gif

Kqctx.gif
    SEIZURES!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    leahkite wrote: »
    I think it's an abomination and a fast track to injury. It's great that men and women are embracing olympic lifts, but crossfit takes it too far and throws form out the window to make it an espn saturday morning competition.

If your fitness goals are to have some lean muscle mass and nice toned body, crossfit would not be good. I think it's best suited as an extreme cardio and that's it.

I think image and health wise, nothing will replace traditional resistance training with an emphasis on proper form and nutrition. Working out is not supposed to be fun or a party. If you don't have the passion, motivation, or vision to be in the gym, then it's not for you.

On top of that, paying $100's+/month to be in a warehouse with a pallet of stacked boxes and some rope doesn't sound even click with me.

Sooooo I'm assuming you've never gotten inside a box (of any kind).

To the OP, give it a go! I love it and my husband recently drank the kool-aid too; it's become a 2nd family to us!

I'm an Oly lifter and I've been to 3 boxes here in town...they all practiced speed and volume over form with their Oly lifts...in that RE, I agree with the term "abomination"
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    CJMQ wrote: »
    I started in January and I absolutely love it. I work harder and do much more variety than when I work out on my own, and it’s fun to learn new skills. I still go to my old gym when the class schedule doesn’t work, and was shocked at the strength gains I made in only 6 weeks. My friends have been complimenting my arms and I feel like a bad-*kitten*! My one caveat would be that you really need to take responsibility for your own learning and safety- some coaches do very little teaching, and I have had to ask persistently for advice on scaling and feedback on my form during lifts. Embrace being a beginner and don’t let your ego set you up for an injury.

You shouldn't have to take responsibility for that, that's why there are coaches. If the place you go to doesn't take responsibility in making sure proper scaling, form and safety is happening then you need to find a new box.

• foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think it's an abomination and a fast track to injury. It's great that men and women are embracing olympic lifts, but crossfit takes it too far and throws form out the window to make it an espn saturday morning competition.

If your fitness goals are to have some lean muscle mass and nice toned body, crossfit would not be good. I think it's best suited as an extreme cardio and that's it.

I think image and health wise, nothing will replace traditional resistance training with an emphasis on proper form and nutrition. Working out is not supposed to be fun or a party. If you don't have the passion, motivation, or vision to be in the gym, then it's not for you.

On top of that, paying $100's+/month to be in a warehouse with a pallet of stacked boxes and some rope doesn't sound even click with me.

To the OP, give it a go! I love it and my husband recently drank the kool-aid too; it's become a 2nd family to us!

I'm an Oly lifter and I've been to 3 boxes here in town...they all practiced speed and volume over form with their Oly lifts...in that RE, I agree with the term "abomination"

But the AMRAP man! Sure you could have form, but you could also get 3 more reps.
  • longhorns2014
    longhorns2014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    CJMQ wrote: »
    I started in January and I absolutely love it. I work harder and do much more variety than when I work out on my own, and it’s fun to learn new skills. I still go to my old gym when the class schedule doesn’t work, and was shocked at the strength gains I made in only 6 weeks. My friends have been complimenting my arms and I feel like a bad-*kitten*! My one caveat would be that you really need to take responsibility for your own learning and safety- some coaches do very little teaching, and I have had to ask persistently for advice on scaling and feedback on my form during lifts. Embrace being a beginner and don’t let your ego set you up for an injury.

You shouldn't have to take responsibility for that, that's why there are coaches. If the place you go to doesn't take responsibility in making sure proper scaling, form and safety is happening then you need to find a new box.

I have been doing crossfit for 3years. I had a great coach that taught me the importance of form. I've seen people doing crossfit and their form is off and I can help to think omg I hope you don't get hurt. If only more coaches would teach the importance of form.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, I’ve been doing crossfit for a year. I am best at the strength training, worst on the gymnastic moves and overhead squats, and working to improve my mobility and stamina. I go about 3 times per week, but might up that soon.

I think people should take personal accountability for their work in the box. Yes, the coaches should teach good form, but it is up to you to learn and practice it. If you let your ego push you past what you are, you’ll get hurt.

There is a group called crossfit love, you should check it out. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/99-crossfit-love
  • longhorns2014
    Options
    Yes, I’ve been doing crossfit for a year. I am best at the strength training, worst on the gymnastic moves and overhead squats, and working to improve my mobility and stamina. I go about 3 times per week, but might up that soon.

I think people should take personal accountability for their work in the box. Yes, the coaches should teach good form, but it is up to you to learn and practice it. If you let your ego push you past what you are, you’ll get hurt.

There is a group called crossfit love, you should check it out. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/99-crossfit-love

I totally agree with you. Ego is the number one cause of people getting hurt. Knowing your limitations is always a good thing to know and not moving to the next level before you are capable of doing so. That goes with any sport.
  • longhorns2014
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

• longhorns2014
    Options
    I was part of a box. My coach was a 3rd degree black belt of 30 years and a crossfit coach. He was all about form and if he saw not doing proper form he would let you know. If you continue with improper form he would stop and walk you step by step to make sure you didn't get hurt and you could learn proper form. Have not found that type of coaching since then...
  • longhorns2014
    Options

One thing that you'll find in a box is a group of people who understand where you are at in your trading because they have at one time or another been there and immense support from one another. You should try it! You'll enjoy it!
  • longhorns2014
    Options
    ernurse167 wrote: »
    I started about a month ago and I love it.

That's awesome! Once I started I never looked back. Glad you are enjoying it!
  • longhorns2014
    Options
    itsmegina wrote: »
    I've been at it for a couple of months now -I absolutely love it. Every workout is different and so challenging. It is totally scaleable to your fitness level. My box is very welcoming to beginners, and from what I've heard from others, that's the rule rather then the exception :)

Yes it is! You won't find the support like you do in a box. Glad to know you are loving it!
  • longhorns2014
    edited March 2015
    Options

Why should working out not be fun?

I agree with you. Why should working out not be fun?
  • longhorns2014
    Options

Don't knock till you try it.

I agree with you. Why should working out not be fun?
    Don't knock till you try it.
  • longhorns2014
    Options
    Love crossfit. Do it 3-4x days per week as well as mix in some other heavy lifting.

Awesome!
  • rawbmeow123
    rawbmeow123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    2 years in to crossfit ex weightlifter. If you guys consider yourself weightlifters stop referring to it as oly lifting. You would be laughed at be any reputable weightlifting coach. Sorry I'm not sorry

F, 29, 58kg weightclass
  • rawbmeow123
    rawbmeow123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    2 years in to crossfit ex weightlifter. If you guys consider yourself weightlifters stop referring to it as oly lifting. You would be laughed at be any reputable weightlifting coach. Sorry I'm not sorry

F, 29, 58kg weightclass