Dress sizes

Options

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've not gone down a size yet - not even close - 50 lbs down. Just depends on your body type. Average is supposed to be 10 lbs per size...
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    At 220 I was a size 20. At 198, I can aaaaaaaaalmost fit into a 16 if it a "curvy" cut. I think I'll be there by 190.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    started at 250 and was in a 20/22ish? (jeans)

227 now and the 20s are loose but the (only) pair of 18s i have are way small - so not sure if they are true to size, or small or whatnot, cause i can barely get them over my hips. (im thinking sizing is way off). i need ot go to a store and see....

the top is where im losing weight (down 4" on my bust) and am a L/XL (depending on cut) in tops now.

• ceevee6
    ceevee6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I lost about about 22 pounds to get from a 14 to a 10 in a David's Bridal strapless dress. Like the other poster's mentioned, it's going to depend on the widest part of your body. I have a larger bust, so an 8 would fit everything else but squeeze the bee-jesus out of my chest.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    It totally depends on what size you are, where you lose weight first, and where you shop.

For instance, I will always be an XL in shirts at Talbots and Coldwater Creek because I am tall and have wide shoulders. However, at most department stores, I am a loose L/almost M.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I've lost 51 lbs and I went from a US 16 to a US 10. I'm 5'11.

Woo. I've now lost another 15 lbs and I'm a US size 6-8. The higher the size, the more weight must drop to drop a size. The difference between a US 18 and US 16 might be as much as 25 lbs. The difference between a US 10 and a US 8 was about 10 lbs for me, but I'm ungodly tall.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I didn't drop a size until I lost over 20 pounds when I first started out. Once I incorporated lifting, I started changing shape completely, and most recently, I dropped a size without losing weight.

Try incorporating more strength training as you lose. It will impact body composition and the way you look as you lose.
  • iheartdinosaurs
    iheartdinosaurs Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 35 pounds and am still wearing the same size (18/16, depending, I am 5'6.5, and currently around 210 pounds). I get the discouraging feeling, but at least things feel slightly looser? Then again, I was wearing 14/16 at 170-180 lbs, so I don't expect to see major clothing size changes over the course of my major weightloss....
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs and went from a 6 to a 2. But I've gained back almost 10 of those and I'm still a 2 - so it depends on where the weight is going and how much is fat vs muscle and so many other things!
  • Kate5283kate
    Kate5283kate Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure when I first went down a size, but at 233 I was wearing a 16 Plus, on a good day. Today I am wearing a size 14 sheath dress at 196.5. Not sure if that's 3 sizes down (16 plus, 14 Plus, 16, 14), or if there's overlap between normal and plus sizes?
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has mentioned, I didn't lose a size until I hit my 20lb weight loss mark. I'm now down 25lb & the new size is starting to get a bit loose.
    It definitely can be discouraging to not lose sizes, but I've noticed that even clothes of the same size look different (and better!) as I lose weight.
    Keep it up!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and at 140lbs down I have gone from a 28 pant to an 18 (I think. The size 22 jeans I own are way too big at this point). So calling it 5 pants sizes lost means I had to lose about 28lbs/size.
  • cazpom37
    cazpom37 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40lbs and have gone from size 22 dress to a 16!! I think that seems like a huge drop for a fairly small loss (in comparison to my size), but as everyone is different heights and builds it would be impossible to say a general rule.

similar to myself. i lost 35lbs and went from a 22-24 to a 16. i am only 5ft 2 though, don't know if that makes a difference?
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I lost 33 lbs and went from a 16 to an 8 in woman's sizes. It depends on the cloths, I shopped at target and needed a size 12? I don't concentrate on lbs as much as before. I try and buy cloths that I look good in. Good luck keep going:-) Mary Ann
  • cpink1022
    cpink1022 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think there are lots of things that factor into it. One thing would be if you weren't wearing
    the right size to began with. I know I would avoid buying something if it went passed a certain size. I even found myself buying a size that was a little too tight because I didn't want to go up a size. Let me put it this way I was buying size 12 dresses, but when I was properly measured I was a size 16. Now, eight months later I'm a size 10.

Anyway, we all loose wieght differently.
  • 42squared
    42squared Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Took about 20 lbs to for me to go from a 16 to a 14. I'm about 5'3". I think I probably was over a 16, my pants were pretty tight (muffin top all around) but I can now take off my 16's without unzipping them. I still wear a mix (thank you belts) , but i'm slowly replacing them with 14's as a i wear them out.
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm a 16 (UK), when I was 40lbs lighter, I was only one dress size smaller (14), but I felt great! I'm just short of 6 ft, so even in slimmer times I was never smaller than a size 14. It depends on your build as well! I wouldn't worry about dress sizes that much - who cares what the label says if you're looking & feeling wonderful??!!
  • lilbea89
    lilbea89 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Took me twenty five pounds to get from a 16 to a 14 or 12 (I hate how I can have three different dress sizes from different stores that all fit me the same). But I'm only 5'1"
  • LaraArmstrong16
    Options
    Ive lost no weight but my measurements have changed dramatically. Especially in my legs! I've gone from a UK 14 to a UK 12 for bottom half. Nothing for the top yet though. All my family carry our weight in our legs so i guess it just depends on your genes. But everyone is different :)
  • priyac1987
    priyac1987 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ive gone from 196lbs to 144lbs (-52lbs) and I was a size 18 (UK) and now I am a size 12 (UK) :)