Squats with bar - too heavy

Options
Amyaya
Amyaya Posts: 107 Member
Hi everyone,

I started the gym about a year and half ago and since then I have been mostly doing classes.
One of them is body pump class and slowly over the past 6 months I began to be able to add more and more weights.

I currently do 20 - 22.5kg for squats track.
My issue is that I sometimes find it hard lifting the bar up high to bring it to the back for squat position!!! I can't bring it up higher than my chest. It feels like my wrists will be damaged or something sometimes (not all the time, sometimes I can!).
This is really frustrating because I know I can squat with that weight but I cannot life them up to the position to start with.

I hope this makes sense?
Do you have tips or solutions to this?
Maybe I should learn the proper clean / clean press moves?

Thank you!!

Replies

• cassie858
    cassie858 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    BUMP - I would like to know about this too! :smile: I was recommended the Smith Machine, as the bar is on a rack so you don't need to lift it up, but I have since been told that Smith Machines are incredibly bad for you.

I can squat 40-50kg but lifting the barbell with my arms I can only manage half that!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think I understand what you are saying but let me clarify ..

are you saying that you load the bar on the ground and are THEN trying to put it on your back? so you are basically cleaning and pressing it onto your back???

If that is what you are saying then you are doing it wrong. You need to put the bar in the squat rack, load the weight, get under the bar, and then squat …

as you have access to a gym, I assume they also have squat rack/power cages..???
  • cassie858
    Options
    Yep that's definitely what I mean.. My gym only has a Smith machine, no squat rack :neutral_face: So I should probably change my gym then!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First, start with a power clean. I’m linking to a youtube tutorial (skip the first 1:47).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfkaxK1dy0

Now, you have the bar on your front shoulder. Do a push press. See linked youtube tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeTXdlYdC2U

Only now, with the push press, you don’t have to get full extension. You just need enough height to get the weight over your head and let it come down on your shoulder.

As to your wrist, you might not have enough mobility in the shoulders and wrists. If you’re struggling to get in the wrack position after the power clean, you’ll want to work on mobility.

• ndj1979
    Options
    First, start with a power clean. I’m linking to a youtube tutorial (skip the first 1:47).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfkaxK1dy0

Now, you have the bar on your front shoulder. Do a push press. See linked youtube tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeTXdlYdC2U

Only now, with the push press, you don’t have to get full extension. You just need enough height to get the weight over your head and let it come down on your shoulder.

As to your wrist, you might not have enough mobility in the shoulders and wrists. If you’re struggling to get in the wrack position after the power clean, you’ll want to work on mobility.

yea, but don't you think that is bad advice as there will eventually become a point where OP is just not going to be able to do that as the weights get heavier…

Isn't it also a little dangerous?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cassie858 wrote: »
    Yep that's definitely what I mean.. My gym only has a Smith machine, no squat rack :neutral_face: So I should probably change my gym then!

any gym that does not have squat racks/power cages is not worth the monthly membership you are paying…IMO …

so yes, get a new gym…

I HATE squatting in the smith machine and I pretty much refuse to do it….
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you find a new gym.

Barring that, take a look on http://exrx.net at hack squats. Also, give front squats a go by cleaning the bar from the floor as AllanMisner said.
  • cassie858
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow great videos @AllanMinser thank you!

@ndj1979 lol - you have me there, I will have to stick my hand in my pocket if I want to get anywhere :smiley:
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to squat with a rack, not only will it be easier to get the bar into proper position but it provides safety if you should fall or drop the bar.
  • Jo5ie
    Jo5ie Posts: 33 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think you are talking about the squat track in body pump and this is not the same as doing squats in the gym. I lift about 22kg for this track also but if you aren't strong enough to put the bar on your shoulders then you can drop the weight, practise the clean and press to get it there or ask a friend to help you lift it onto your shoulders (some instrcutors dont like you doing this). Sometimes in the squat track you can go slightly lighter if you need to and do deeper squats and get a better workout. In Body Pump its as much about the technique as the weight you can lift. Overtime your overall strength will increase which will make this bit easier.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    You need to put the bar in the squat rack, load the weight, get under the bar, and then squat …

Yeh. This.
    (And, damn fine guns there, ndj! How much are you lifting? Reps? What's your single max lift? (Just curious))
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    cassie858 wrote: »

any gym that does not have squat racks/power cages is not worth the monthly membership you are paying…IMO …

so yes, get a new gym…

I HATE squatting in the smith machine and I pretty much refuse to do it….

This. The weight you can squat with a smith is not comparable to what you'd be able to squat with a barbell because a barbell requires balance and core strength and works more muscles. You also can't squat to a natural squat position/full depth potential because the bar is fixed. IMO you're better off doing goblet squats with a heavy dumbbell than using a smith.

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you want to squat heavier, don't plan to do it that way at body pump class. Go someplace with a real squat rack and do a progressive lifting program. You are asking for injuries doing what you are doing.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    She's talking about squats during a Bodypump class, though, where it wouldn't be possible to use a squat rack. Olympic bars aren't used--it's a smaller bar with smaller weights. Load the bar with only what you can safely lift over your head, even if that means not squatting as much as you're capable of.

If you want to squat heavier, you need to move away from classes like Bodypump which are high rep and to an actual lifting program where you utilize the squat rack.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lili61 wrote: »
    She's talking about squats during a Bodypump class, though, where it wouldn't be possible to use a squat rack. Olympic bars aren't used--it's a smaller bar with smaller weights. Load the bar with only what you can safely lift over your head, even if that means not squatting as much as you're capable of.

If you want to squat heavier, you need to move away from classes like Bodypump which are high rep and to an actual lifting program where you utilize the squat rack.

this
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    You need to put the bar in the squat rack, load the weight, get under the bar, and then squat …

Yeh. This.
    (And, damn fine guns there, ndj! How much are you lifting? Reps? What's your single max lift? (Just curious))

LOL thanks man..

I am on this program right now:

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html

last time I tested one rep max on deads it was #385

I have not tested one rep max on squats or bench because no spotter..

I can bang out about four sets of 5 chin-ups with 50# weight hanging from my waist...have not tested out one rep max on curls yet...I think I will do that this weekend...

eat, lift, repeat, and then cut :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    The Smith Machine is much maligned. Sure, free weights are better because of bar path, stabilisers, etc, but it's better than nothing.

That said, a gym without a squat rack is no gym at all.

I hear you ...but I just feel weird in the smith machine...it feels like too much pressure on my knees...do you not get that feeling?
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Also, just putting it out there, if you're squatting whole tracks with what's about 45-50 pounds, you're probably not going to get a lot of benefit from Bodypump for much longer. It sounds like a progressive overload program would be great for you.
  • Amyaya
    Amyaya Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow everyone - thanks very much for your comments!!! I totally understand that if I can't safely lift I prob shouldn't try! I agree it's looking for injuries.
    And yes I was talking about the squat track in Body Pump class so what I need to do is load weight up on the floor and lift up.

Because I've only been doing classes since I started gym I have limited knowledge on those machines everyone is talking about. But I want to start utilising the free weights and machines now.
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You could always try doing squats on the smith machine. Or do rack squats.