Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Pop question: What's better? Someone giving bad advice in a supportive and caring way, or someone giving good advice in a brusque and blunt manner?

Assume these are the only two options when considering an answer.

The thing is, it's not always brusque and blunt! Sometimes you brusque guys are pussycats.

You just don't suffer fools gladly.

Sometimes, it's not good advice either. This is one of the posts from the thread she's referring to:
    I am certified Fitness instructor and want to say that although you can go low carb and cut out fruit, but you are also losing important vitamins and nutrients your body needs to feed the brain and muscles and assist in proper circulation. Skinny does not mean healthy!!!!

There's another 2 pages of people arguing with judiness because they disagree with how OP phrased something 3 pages earlier, but none of them thought that misinformation was worth correcting. They think it's more important to make her repeat a half dozen times over that she maintains a calorie deficit by counting carbs instead of calories, something she's never denied to begin with. They also choose to ignore the reality that for a lot of people, removing carbs, all other things being equal, makes a difference because of an underlying medical condition that may not be diagnosed or even suspected yet, PCOS being the first that comes to mind. Rather than suggest that, or even just leave the thread altogether, they keep arguing about word choices.

Oh you are really reaching. People are cutting carbs because they're reading a tarot deck and self-diagnosing PCOS so everyone should give them a pass or suggest they have that looked into?

Give me a break.

Not even remotely what I said, did you even read it all? In the middle of a fight because she said she counts carbs instead of calories, someone threw out their little broscience that low carb = no fruit = brain and muscle damage. Not one of them thought that was important enough to correct. If it's all about keeping it real and correcting misinformation, and that's really what everyone was there to do, why ignore that and instead keep harping on something she'd already restated repeatedly? Other people did correct it, just not the ones who were allegedly there to give tough love and correct "misinformation."

Oh good grief. Cherry pick away. You found one example. Wow. People stuck to the op and didn't derail the thread and stuck to the site guidelines. Amazing.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Rather than suggest that, or even just leave the thread altogether, they keep arguing about word choices.

This kind of thing goes on in many threads...if they get long enough, you'll see...

Try saying something about your "diet."

And someone will chirp "It's not a diet. Diets fail. Make a lifestyle change!

When acutally - what you eat on a regular basis...is....your...diet.

But you have to make sure you word it properly so someone with an issue with words doesn't come and correct you.

You'll even see someone making fun of my comment about not calling junk food junk food..and calling it "fun" food. In the context of this thread, the idea was it was to be an occasional treat added to a nutritionally sound diet (oops, lifestyle change, ) that meets most if not all of your daily macros...just for FUN. Not for every meal, every day...and then he suggested that we rename diabetes to "diafunbetes" or something like that and added "fun" to other words like cholesterol etc. When if anyone had bothered to read the context of the discussion (the serious one, not the silly sarcasm posts..) they would know what I meant. Unless I misinterpreted the mocking...which I doubt...but hey. I could, I suppose, call it "bullying" too...but....

I really don't like the way the term bullying is thrown around these days. Everything that is not in agreement is "bullying" to some people. Wow...maybe it's time everyone puts their big person panties on and just listens to one another.

I don't think it's bullying, but I do think it's hypocrisy. People go in those threads to troll and argue, or sit back with popcorn and watch the arguing. Why not just admit it, instead of pretending they're doing it for some greater good? Think how much time would be saved if they'd just admit, "I really don't care if you listen to me or not, I'm just here to poke you with a stick to see how long it takes to make you blow up or leave the site?"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Pop question: What's better? Someone giving bad advice in a supportive and caring way, or someone giving good advice in a brusque and blunt manner?

Assume these are the only two options when considering an answer.

The thing is, it's not always brusque and blunt! Sometimes you brusque guys are pussycats.

You just don't suffer fools gladly.

Sometimes, it's not good advice either. This is one of the posts from the thread she's referring to:
    I am certified Fitness instructor and want to say that although you can go low carb and cut out fruit, but you are also losing important vitamins and nutrients your body needs to feed the brain and muscles and assist in proper circulation. Skinny does not mean healthy!!!!

There's another 2 pages of people arguing with judiness because they disagree with how OP phrased something 3 pages earlier, but none of them thought that misinformation was worth correcting. They think it's more important to make her repeat a half dozen times over that she maintains a calorie deficit by counting carbs instead of calories, something she's never denied to begin with. They also choose to ignore the reality that for a lot of people, removing carbs, all other things being equal, makes a difference because of an underlying medical condition that may not be diagnosed or even suspected yet, PCOS being the first that comes to mind. Rather than suggest that, or even just leave the thread altogether, they keep arguing about word choices.

You and two other people in that thread corrected that person's statement, and he/she never came back to argue, so what would've been the point?

Also, the OP in that thread has not said that she has any medical conditions - she is clearly (from her posts) looking for a quick fix or a miracle diet. Her logic isn't exactly sound. When her weight loss slows down from her low carb diet (which it will), she will likely move on to the next diet, which will then be the "only diet that works" for her.

The posters in that thread are trying to get her to understand why she's really losing weight on her low carb diet so that when she reintroduces carbs she won't be surprised when she gains that water weight back.

What's the point of the 4 pages of arguing they've already done, when she's already explained it to them?

why do you care?

• ndj1979
    Options
    Rather than suggest that, or even just leave the thread altogether, they keep arguing about word choices.

This kind of thing goes on in many threads...if they get long enough, you'll see...

But you have to make sure you word it properly so someone with an issue with words doesn't come and correct you.

You'll even see someone making fun of my comment about not calling junk food junk food..and calling it "fun" food. In the context of this thread, the idea was it was to be an occasional treat added to a nutritionally sound diet (oops, lifestyle change, ) that meets most if not all of your daily macros...just for FUN. Not for every meal, every day...and then he suggested that we rename diabetes to "diafunbetes" or something like that and added "fun" to other words like cholesterol etc. When if anyone had bothered to read the context of the discussion (the serious one, not the silly sarcasm posts..) they would know what I meant. Unless I misinterpreted the mocking...which I doubt...but hey. I could, I suppose, call it "bullying" too...but....

I really don't like the way the term bullying is thrown around these days. Everything that is not in agreement is "bullying" to some people. Wow...maybe it's time everyone puts their big person panties on and just listens to one another.

I don't think it's bullying, but I do think it's hypocrisy. People go in those threads to troll and argue, or sit back with popcorn and watch the arguing. Why not just admit it, instead of pretending they're doing it for some greater good? Think how much time would be saved if they'd just admit, "I really don't care if you listen to me or not, I'm just here to poke you with a stick to see how long it takes to make you blow up or leave the site?"

so it is trolling to correct pseudoscience? that is an interesting definition ...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just gonna throw this out there, since it hasn't been mentioned yet... but in the Mid-Atlantic, where we have Rita's Water Ice, there's 'Peeps Ice'. I've had it. It tastes exactly like a Peep. And yes, it's yellow.

peeps.jpg
    fe9e4afdcbfc29d36f841f7003531904.jpg
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I have never seen Peeps Ice at a Rita's. Must look next summer!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Is walking, chip on your shoulder listed in the MFP exercise data base?

So you think you have everyone on "the other side" and their motives all sussed out here. I'm just speechless. You are making so many assumptions that it's making my head spin.

It's great that you low carb and found a way of eating that fits great for you, but seriously, everyone else who low carbs is now under your protection and exempt from any sort of criticism? It really, really comes across that way from your posts.

• ndj1979
    Options
    not to start WWIII but I think peeps are disgusting...sorry
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Agreed. I think the only thing grosser are Circus Peanuts.

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Agreed. Effing gross. I'd way prefer something else gross that tastes good, like cafeteria-style, square pizza and freezer food like hot pockets and buffalo wings and curly fries.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Agreed. Effing gross. I'd way prefer something else gross that tastes good, like cafeteria-style, square pizza and freezer food like hot pockets and buffalo wings and curly fries.

LOL - agree ...

now give me some cadberry (sp) Easter eggs, and I will crush those things...
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Amitysk wrote: »
    734590_506568392737403_1528353008_n.jpg?oh=d0f977db1d7cd5b6439b0a2b8317d0e8&oe=55878ECF&__gda__=1434659630_fc9745c02a1a674186c40c43641e4e8b

I'll just leave this here...

That one. I'll eat the eyes on that one.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    tzbrjjE.gif

Unfortunately, the ones who need to hear this the most will not hear it. It's all they have. They'll never give up their last ditch argument in favor of common sense.

I hear it loud and clear. I know what he's saying. Some people like myself who got themselves into a bad rut eating processed foods find themselves liberated by not making the diet part and parcel with them - in moderation.

I made mistakes even on here with the 1st Phorm supplements - but I did the right thing and eliminated them for Natural Force - a complete 100% natural protein supplement. Is it "processed" sure, you can't just take Whey Protein from milk and concoct some supplement without processing, but what constitutes the powder once it's created - that's what counts. If it says "Natural and Artificial" in it, it's bad news. If it says "Enriched Flour", no thanks. If it says "aspartame", "sucralose", or any other artificial sweetener not deemed safe, forget it.

I don't think processed foods are a necessary component of a balanced diet - hence why I can't endorse what he's saying but I can understand from his perspective why he's saying it.
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Amitysk wrote: »
    734590_506568392737403_1528353008_n.jpg?oh=d0f977db1d7cd5b6439b0a2b8317d0e8&oe=55878ECF&__gda__=1434659630_fc9745c02a1a674186c40c43641e4e8b

I'll just leave this here...

That one. I'll eat the eyes on that one.

You don't eat the eyes because you want them to watch you as you eat them, don't you?
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't know... I mean, I'm not disagreeing with the OP at all. But some of these responses... a whole pizza... bacon... yeah, they have macronutrients but will not help me with macronutrient goals. If I ate a whole pizza, I'd have to try like hell to make up the protein to balance it with the fat and carbs. Are we talking chicken breast and cottage cheese pizza? Typically, the proteins on a pizza are at least 50% fat (and some type of sausage), be it salami, pepperoni or Italian sausage... or bacon... or linguica or ground beef or meatballs.

Or maybe I'm assuming too much. Do most of you not have macro goals and just follow CICO? I know my protein goal is somewhat high at 40%.

I know what you mean. There are days where I'm lazy and I eat from McDonald's for the entire day, and even when picking out their higher protein choices, I can never eat enough to satisfy my hunger without going way over in calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Last Saturday, I skipped breakfast, ate a small turkey sandwich with cherry tomatoes for lunch, then went and watched SPONGEBOB at the theaters with my DD and 2 of her friends while chowing down 2 hot dogs, a tray of nachos with cheese, a small pop corn, box of Milk Duds and a diet Coke. For dinner I had a chicken breast with a little Terriyaki sauce on top and a whole bag of spinach.

Good thing I don't go to the movies all the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options

LOL - agree ...

My most favorite Easter treat ever! When I was a kid, my parents would hide those for our Easter egg hunt. My brother would get so mad because I would always find them first and hoard them...
    I have eagle eyes!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If it says "aspartame", "sucralose", or any other artificial sweetener not deemed safe, forget it.

Not deemed safe by whom?
  • Ninkyou
    Options

LOL - agree ...

I'm not a huge Peeps fan. I'll eat them occasionally. They're just too sweet for me. I like the Cadbury Caramel Eggs. The regular Eggs are also too sweet for me. So weird. I'm generally a HUGE sweets fan. I guess there always a few exceptions. :'(
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Is walking, chip on your shoulder listed in the MFP exercise data base?

So you think you have everyone on "the other side" and their motives all sussed out here. I'm just speechless. You are making so many assumptions that it's making my head spin.

It's great that you low carb and found a way of eating that fits great for you, but seriously, everyone else who low carbs is now under your protection and exempt from any sort of criticism? It really, really comes across that way from your posts.

Thanks for the assumptions and sussing of my motives there. You are always free to ignore and move on. All I've ever asked is why some people, and I never said it's all of them, never choose that option? It's the internet, and unless this is the only website someone has ever used in their life, it's blatantly obvious why it happens, so why not just admit it? Some already have in the confessions thread. Seems to me the high horse is pretending that's not what's going on.
This discussion has been closed.