Do you really think one can be happy FAT?

Options
sjadev1108
sjadev1108 Posts: 26 Member
This issue has come to my attention often lately with the amount of reality TV shows focusing on body image and issues (height, weight, etc.) I keep hearing people say they are "fat and happy". I also saw on an E! news report the other evening a girl that is a plus size model (size 24). She claimed she was very happy and comfortable at her weight. My question is, do you think this is REALLY a reality? Do you really think someone can be "happy" if they are morbidly obese? I know for me, I love eating, I love food....I mean I genuinely LOVE it and have a great appreciate for food and the way it interacts with life and the way it tastes. Yes, I like eating what I want, but I don't LOVE the consequenes. I don't like being winded, or thinking I might die young, or not being able to shop for cute clothes, or having clothes hurt me. For me, I also like to LIKE the way I look, although this isn't the reason for my health journey. I know for some people aesthetics aren't the key, so maybe in that aspect they are HAPPY. However, I don't see anything positive coming from not fitting in public spaces, or not being able to use stairs. Tell me what you think, are these public figures really happy at their morbidly obese weight??

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    sure why not...

do you think people with 10% body fat have perfect lives? Of course not, regardless of body type we all have day to day issues that affect whatever we are happy, sad, depressed ,etc...
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I think I don't get to tell anyone if they are or can be happy.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think they are happy with where they are! I know some say that they are happy to cover other issues. For some realizing what you may be missing or limiting yourself from is not apparent until you actually lose weight. For instance I didn't realize that as happy as I was being in the house that it may have had something to do with my weight - just not wanting to be out with the public. Not until I lost weight and realized I am now more comfortable being outside. We build our lives around our circumstances and most of us try to make the most of that and some profess to be happy despite the limitations that being overweight brings with it.

As time passes for some they suffer a multitude of health issues and then realize what that perceived happiness cost them. In no way do I thing being overweight equals unhappy just as being a 'normal' weight doesn't automatically equal happy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't be happy being morbidly obese...but I was happy as a clam when I was fat and overweight...I wasn't healthy, but I was perfectly happy...I was sure a lot happier than when I was super skinny.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I think people can be happy fat....but imo I would think a fat person would secretly always be wondering what life would be like skinny? I think people can choose to focus on positivity and appreciate what they have at any size, but the culture of "fat and happy" does point to an unhealthy lifestyle which would cause people to be unhappy. If you're fat and active and eat well...ok, maybe that's not so bad and maybe you are happy deep down. But if you want to say I'm fat and happy and go sit on the couch and eat a box of cookies every night that just seems like a recipe for feeling like crap..So..I guess it's complex...I guess we don't really have an answer...I wasn't happy fat. I had my moments of happiness but I always wanted to be thinner, then again I still feel that way. So, I guess I didn't give a good answer at all...Haha!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Body image is just one component in someone's life. Some really care about it and some don't.
    Happiness is more than just how someone looks. Heck I've seen and known many a person whom many consider have the "perfect" body and they have lots of other baggage that an overweight person doesn't have.
    IMO, there's one main reason one shouldn't be too fat or too overweight....................it creates a higher health risk for that individual.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    sure why not...

• ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You can be fat and happy. I don't buy the whole fat and healthy thing though.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Ofc you can be because its a state of mind. For most people theres more to life than just weight. Thats not to say its healthy, just there are plenty of other factors that go into being happy. Just becayse you cant imagine yourself being happy that way, doesnt mean other people cant be. I'd hazard a guess that if they had the choice to be thin at no cost then they would choose that.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Well for starters, you jumped from "fat" to "morbidly obese". There is a difference. I do think people can be overweight and happy wit their lives, and I know that skinny people can be unhappy with their lives. Fat/overweight doesn't mean you are out of shape just like being skinny doesn't mean you are in shape. Generally people who are not active get winded and tired, fat or skinny. But there are larger people who are active and in decent shape. Now I'm not saying that it is good for them to be carrying around excess weight; they would probably be able to do more if they slimmed down. But as far as happy goes they are probably fairly happy.

As for the plus size models, generally they are happy also and they have to keep in some sort of shape to still look good. However just as skinny models are photo-shopped to look smaller, plus sized models are photo-shopped to look fatter. We live in a very looks oriented world and right now it is extremely divided.

I do have a hard time believing that the 500 pound woman who is doing photo shoots and saying excess fat is sexy is a truly happy woman. She must be in constant pain and have a hard time moving around. I do not see how anyone can be truly happy in that situation. And I don't believe it is a good idea to support furthering the mindset that it is normal or healthy to be that heavy. There are too many known health risks.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Because nobody who's thin ever had a bad day....
  • monicalferrier
    monicalferrier Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think happiness comes from self-confidence. If you love you, how you look doesn't matter.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Happiness is a state of mind, not body.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I think happiness comes from within and I give very heavy people, who are still genuinely happy, a lot of credit for being so. I think in society there is a lot of pressure to be young and attractive, and too much of what defines attractive equates to thin. However, there are heavier people who are in great health, for the moment. There is too much science about how excess weight adversely affects health, to believe that obesity is healthy in the long run. But let's not confuse happiness with health, I've known a number of (thin) people with chronic and even terminal illness who maintained their sense of happiness. So yeah, I think people can be truly happy while obese.
  • weightofgold
    weightofgold Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Happiness is a state of mind, not body.

• tryitonemoretime
    Options
    Of course. I am 260 lbs and happy. I am not even sure whether losing weight is something that i really want. I exercise now to get fit, because i want to get job oversea and i know everything wont be as easy and relax like in my hometown.
  • sjadev1108
    sjadev1108 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to equate skinny with happy, or to say that thin people never have bad days. I do, however, think that being obese, you have put more obstacles in your own way.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think happiness comes from self-confidence. If you love you, how you look doesn't matter.
    sorry couldn't resist
    tumblr_mhtj13BTmr1rs2qgko1_500.png
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    someone CAN be happy and SHOULD be happy no matter what their weight. Happiness should not come from any one physical aspect. A person deserves to love themselves for who they are regardless of their weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!