But my weight DID come on overnight!

Options

Replies

• ValentineNicole
    ValentineNicole Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Alright, let me answer as much as I can :)

@mamapeach910 I'm pretty sure I'm accurate. I have a digital food scale, and I measure in grams to be as certain as I possibly can. Nothing goes unrecorded except water and tea. If I'm out and can't measure, I throw out a few bites in case of overweight products. I would have nothing to lie about here - no one knows me and I'm anonymous because this is the interwebs, LOL. Frankly, all this negativity is exactly why I'm fed up with my doctor - it's yet another case of, "Ok, but you don't know anything..." If I didn't know anything, I wouldn't be so concerned. This would just be "normal" for me.
    -
    @kamakazeekim I'm 29 years old. I was on birth control until right about when I started gaining weight, actually, although I never really thought of it that way. My periods are pretty normal, kind of short and heavy, and they come and go in spurts. Since I am anonymous here, I also had an abortion right before all of this started - basically immediately prior. I will get my hormones checked.

@smr09012 My insulin may be slightly high, as my blood sugar tends to run high. Between 90-98... I don't know if that means anything or if that's irrelevant and just caused by the weight gain.

@ReeseG4350 I am very very foggy headed and tired, although I equate that to the weight gain as much as a potential issue. I find it hard to focus and stay on task. But I'm carrying an extra 50% body weight right now - yikes! My hair is thinning and I do lose maybe a half dollar sized ball each time I shower. Good hair products have helped a lot in the last couple months, but that's one of my biggest issues - my hair also does not grow.

I think everyone's advice is spot on - a second opinion is needed. If I'm wrong and there's nothing medically wrong, I'll be over the moon - no one wants to wish for health issues. I just want to feel like myself, and this just doesn't feel right.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I looked in your diary. There are a few weird entries that could be inaccurate and mean that you're eating more than you think. Mainly it's the stuff you don't eat every day. You seem to eat the same things most days, which is fine.

Pork Generic - Baked Pork Chop, 1 medium (3oz, with bone, raw) (yield after cooking, bone removed): What? 3 oz with bone raw is different than yield after cooking, bone removed. Don't use this entry.

Chicken - Wing, Baked, Roasted, 4 Wing: What brand? Isn't baked different than roasted? 240 calories may be low, if there was butter applied.

I noticed that you didn't log any exercise during the entire month of March. Although exercise is for health, not weight loss, its possible your metabolic rate is a bit low. You may not have as high a BMR as an average person. You may need exercise to help you on your journey.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Find a new doctor. If everything you say is correct (and I'll assume it is) something is going on.

For those who say a thyroid problem wouldn't keep her from losing if she's eating 1400. Some people with thyroid problems have an extremely low maintenance number, well under the recommended minimum daily intake of 1200 cal. So Eating 1400 could very well not do a thing for you if you're in that group. (even have you gain).

With the correct treatment and diet (under care of a competent doctor) most people will be able to lose weight.

Don't start starving yourself without getting the proper diagnosis.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    That hair loss thing is alarming. Does your doctor know about that and still refuse to test your thyroid?
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Most doctors only test the TSH. Very few will test the full thyroid panels because of insurance issues and payment. I know first hand because of having to drive 3 hours to New Orleans to get a doctor willing to order all of them and pay out of pocket for both doctor and labs. $1500 later I know I have thyroid problems and am still waiting for the endocrinologist appointment.

To get that endocrinologist appointment I had to take the records from the doctor at Tulane to the doctor up here for a referral. None of the endocrinologists up here will see you without a referral.

So, its very possible she could have Hashimoto's and a very normal range TSH.

Good luck Op. It's hard to find a good doctor.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Grumpy619 wrote: »
    hi! thought I would chime in....I am NOT a fan of calories in vs. calories out.....honestly, there is soooo much more involved! I lost 97 pounds 6 years ago & have maintained that loss. Now, I am eating the same amount of calories (yes, I got into the habit of writing everything down & still do) and exercising even more (running half marathons, marathons, CrossFit, biking, hiking) and have gained 20 pounds in the last 2 years. My doctor says it is all Menopause related and I have to "tweak" my diet- less carbs, more healthy fats, and yes, fewer calories!! I gained 50 pounds of my excess weight years ago in a 6 months stint on medication---yes, calories in vs. calories out did NOT work then, and doesn't always work now......
    -

But that's still calories in vs calories out, your numbers simply changed. If your Dr thinks it's menopausal that probably means that your 'calories out' has been reduced naturally due to menopause, while as you say yourself you kept eating the same amount as you were when your 'calories out' was higher. The number of calories we need changes depending on our age, sex, activity level etc and it isn't going to stay the same your whole life. 'Tweaking' your diet to make your calories in match your calories out doesn't go against the idea of CICO.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Grumpy619 wrote: »
    hi! thought I would chime in....I am NOT a fan of calories in vs. calories out.....honestly, there is soooo much more involved! I lost 97 pounds 6 years ago & have maintained that loss. Now, I am eating the same amount of calories (yes, I got into the habit of writing everything down & still do) and exercising even more (running half marathons, marathons, CrossFit, biking, hiking) and have gained 20 pounds in the last 2 years. My doctor says it is all Menopause related and I have to "tweak" my diet- less carbs, more healthy fats, and yes, fewer calories!! I gained 50 pounds of my excess weight years ago in a 6 months stint on medication---yes, calories in vs. calories out did NOT work then, and doesn't always work now......
    -

Not to derail the thread because it's not about you, but CICO applies ALWAYS.

What you're not accounting for is that the CO part of the equation is a moving target. As we age, our TDEE changes. You need to recalculate your maintenance calories.

CICO always works, but the numbers don't remain constant. You're the one making the mistake of thinking they do. You won't be able to eat the same amount of food and maintain the same weight over the years.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1. Agree on finding a better doctor. It took my OB/gyn to DX my Hashi's, and it wasn't like I was requesting that specific test or anything (I had by that time given up on ever feeling well or awake again, my PCP having run six bajillion tests, none of which was TSH or TPO). I went to my OB based on symptoms that I wouldn't have imagined had anything to do with my thyroid - he was the one who made the connection.

2. Agree that it's still CICO. Yes, you may have to eat fewer calories than you did before in order to create that deficit. But it may be a surprisingly smaller deduction than you think. You need to experiment and find your sweet spot.

3. I know it doesn't seem fair. I was on an "it's not fair - other people CAN eat X amount" kick FOR YEARS. Where did it get me? Fat. I finally dropped the "it's not fair" thing by being an adult about it and having some perspective. What IS fair? A person with paraplegia is going to look at me and say "it's not fair" that I can work out and create more of a calorie deficit that way - and she'll be right. Yet another person will say "it's not fair" that she has cancer and can't STOP losing weight, whereas I have the choice - and she'll be right too. What in life is fair? Play the hand you're dealt. Really do your numbers, be VERY realistic and honest about your activity level, lower calories in increments if you have to...but you will not lose weight until you create a calorie deficit.

For the record, and this is only me, but I was pretty damned severely hypo-T yet I did lose weight before I was ever medicated...IF I created a calorie deficit. Following starting medication, I still have to create a deficit. That's just how it is. Hope you feel better soon.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Alright, let me answer as much as I can :)

@mamapeach910 I'm pretty sure I'm accurate. I have a digital food scale, and I measure in grams to be as certain as I possibly can. Nothing goes unrecorded except water and tea. If I'm out and can't measure, I throw out a few bites in case of overweight products. I would have nothing to lie about here - no one knows me and I'm anonymous because this is the interwebs, LOL. Frankly, all this negativity is exactly why I'm fed up with my doctor - it's yet another case of, "Ok, but you don't know anything..." If I didn't know anything, I wouldn't be so concerned. This would just be "normal" for me.
    -
    @kamakazeekim I'm 29 years old. I was on birth control until right about when I started gaining weight, actually, although I never really thought of it that way. My periods are pretty normal, kind of short and heavy, and they come and go in spurts. Since I am anonymous here, I also had an abortion right before all of this started - basically immediately prior. I will get my hormones checked.

@smr09012 My insulin may be slightly high, as my blood sugar tends to run high. Between 90-98... I don't know if that means anything or if that's irrelevant and just caused by the weight gain.

@ReeseG4350 I am very very foggy headed and tired, although I equate that to the weight gain as much as a potential issue. I find it hard to focus and stay on task. But I'm carrying an extra 50% body weight right now - yikes! My hair is thinning and I do lose maybe a half dollar sized ball each time I shower. Good hair products have helped a lot in the last couple months, but that's one of my biggest issues - my hair also does not grow.

I think everyone's advice is spot on - a second opinion is needed. If I'm wrong and there's nothing medically wrong, I'll be over the moon - no one wants to wish for health issues. I just want to feel like myself, and this just doesn't feel right.

thank you for being brutally honest here. i would most certainly get a second opinion. something could be wrong since it started after your abortion. find a new doctor, one that will take you seriously and go from there. good luck. :)
  • ValentineNicole
    Options
    That hair loss thing is alarming. Does your doctor know about that and still refuse to test your thyroid?

No - to be honest, I did not go into specifics as to why I thought my thyroid may be off. The reason I suspected it was because a loooong time ago when I was a very active dancer/cheerleader in high school, I tested having a low thyroid. I was underweight regardless, due to extreme activity, and the doctor opted to do nothing about it.
    -
    @britishbroccoli - I will double check the measurements I used. Both the pork chops and wings are oven roasted without adding oil, cooked until crispy - just the way I like my meat. The added oil is always in the veggies :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    3. I know it doesn't seem fair. I was on an "it's not fair - other people CAN eat X amount" kick FOR YEARS. Where did it get me? Fat. I finally dropped the "it's not fair" thing by being an adult about it and having some perspective. What IS fair? A person with paraplegia is going to look at me and say "it's not fair" that I can work out and create more of a calorie deficit that way - and she'll be right. Yet another person will say "it's not fair" that she has cancer and can't STOP losing weight, whereas I have the choice - and she'll be right too. What in life is fair? Play the hand you're dealt. Really do your numbers, be VERY realistic and honest about your activity level, lower calories in increments if you have to...but you will not lose weight until you create a calorie deficit.

^^^^^ slow.clap.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

No - to be honest, I did not go into specifics as to why I thought my thyroid may be off. The reason I suspected it was because a loooong time ago when I was a very active dancer/cheerleader in high school, I tested having a low thyroid. I was underweight regardless, due to extreme activity, and the doctor opted to do nothing about it.
    -
    @britishbroccoli - I will double check the measurements I used. Both the pork chops and wings are oven roasted without adding oil, cooked until crispy - just the way I like my meat. The added oil is always in the veggies :)

If you appear to a dr's office and ask him/her to check your thyroid (or anything else) without any explanation, the dr will assume you are some idiot who watched a tv show or read a blog last night about hypothyroidism (or whatever), panicked, consulted dr google self diagnosed with some fashionable illness and then decided to run to the dr to verify the diagnosis. Get an appointment with your dr, explain your medical history, your current symptoms that are worrying you, make absolutely no wild guesses about what could be wrong and ask the dr help you with identifying the problem. Otherwise you are not going to get to the bottom of it.
  • ValentineNicole
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

If you appear to a dr's office and ask him/her to check your thyroid (or anything else) without any explanation, the dr will assume you are some idiot who watched a tv show or read a blog last night about hypothyroidism (or whatever), panicked, consulted dr google self diagnosed with some fashionable illness and then decided to run to the dr to verify the diagnosis. Get an appointment with your dr, explain your medical history, your current symptoms that are worrying you, make absolutely no wild guesses about what could be wrong and ask the dr help you with identifying the problem. Otherwise you are not going to get to the bottom of it.

That is a very good point. I am a very very passive person - and I get shy quickly. Maybe I just need to be assertive and explain exactly what's going on, instead of saying "maybe, sort of, I'm worried."
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Most doctors only test the TSH. Very few will test the full thyroid panels because of insurance issues and payment. I know first hand because of having to drive 3 hours to New Orleans to get a doctor willing to order all of them and pay out of pocket for both doctor and labs. $1500 later I know I have thyroid problems and am still waiting for the endocrinologist appointment.

To get that endocrinologist appointment I had to take the records from the doctor at Tulane to the doctor up here for a referral. None of the endocrinologists up here will see you without a referral.

For Hashimotos to affect noticeably her metabolism, she should have to be at the point where not only her TSH but also her T4 would be completely out off limits, she would have no energy to walk up the stairs and she would be falling asleep while in the middle of normal activities. Hashimoto's can be diagnosed from antibodies years before her TSH or T4 are affected, but there will be no significant change to the metabolism at this point. Until it gets really really bad it can perhaps affect a bit weight, mostly by water retention, but cannot add 60 lbs!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to repeat my own posts, but is this possible: Can you get a copy of your full medical file from your previous doctor(s)? A comparison of stats may help both you and your doctor tremendously.

Part of a good medical diagnosis involves medical history. There may be a missing puzzle piece that may save you a few frustrating and/or expensive tests. Just a suggestion.
  • ValentineNicole
    Options

thank you for being brutally honest here. i would most certainly get a second opinion. something could be wrong since it started after your abortion. find a new doctor, one that will take you seriously and go from there. good luck. :)

I was always too scared and upset over the situation to even go to a follow up appointment - it was a full year before I even saw a gynecologist, though I was honest with her about the situation so she could she if anything was wrong. I think I may just need that second opinion after all. I hate to feel so discouraged... and most of all, I just want to be ME again. I want to be healthy...and I want to have the energy to run every day like I used to. Now, I feel like I'm tired at 2pm from carrying all this weight, and a good run makes my knees hurt and my body ache instead of giving me the happy high I'm used to.
  • ValentineNicole
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I don't mean to repeat my own posts, but is this possible: Can you get a copy of your full medical file from your previous doctor(s)? A comparison of stats may help both you and your doctor tremendously.

Part of a good medical diagnosis involves medical history. There may be a missing puzzle piece that may save you a few frustrating and/or expensive tests. Just a suggestion.

I really wish, but because I've moved a lot in the last 5 years - Tennessee to Minnesota, to Michigan, to California, back to Tennessee - I never kept a general practitioner. My last steady doctor was actually in the same clinic I'm at now, but they no longer had my records and had to re-establish me as a patient. My whole family goes there, though, so they made an exception and let me back in. The doctor I used to see still works there, but she had no openings. I'm not sure she'd remember the tests I took that long ago though.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

-

You tested with an underactive thyroid and the doctor left you untreated?

I... wut?

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

For Hashimotos to affect noticeably her metabolism, she should have to be at the point where not only her TSH but also her T4 would be completely out off limits, she would have no energy to walk up the stairs and she would be falling asleep while in the middle of normal activities. Hashimoto's can be diagnosed from antibodies years before her TSH or T4 are affected, but there will be no significant change to the metabolism at this point. Until it gets really really bad it can perhaps affect a bit weight, mostly by water retention, but cannot add 60 lbs!

You really can't make generalities. My sister's reading were unbelievable (seriously, the endocrinologist didn't believe them and the lab re-ran them three times). According to all accounts, she should have been dead. Yet, she was functioning. Not well, but she wasn't falling asleep in the middle of normal activities.

• ValentineNicole
    Options

-

You tested with an underactive thyroid and the doctor left you untreated?

I... wut?

It was borderline low, iirc - bear with me, because it was like 12 years ago. But it stood out in my mind like a sore thumb, because I was always worried as to what it could mean.