Fun Weight Loss Facts

Options

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Im feeling attacked and hurt.... you guys are being rude about what doctors told me. Have any of you talked to your doctor's and a nutritionist about your weight loss goals and got professional help???
    The Internet is not always correct either.

The lowest my nutritionist said was 1400 for me. But I am morbidly obese sooo... my "maintenence" calories is WAY higher than normal. And probably more about 2500. But like I said, it's a GREAT starting point in that it makes people look at what they are consuming. Then they can gather more scientific evidence for proper nutrition and calorie goals.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You guys dont have to be so MEAN about it... god... i get it... ALL OF YOU ARE BEING SO MEAN!!
    I went out and got professional help and advice and you disagree. Agree to disagree and let it go!
    You dont have to keep pestering and attacking me... do you want me to cry?? Well good cause you got that....

Seriously??? How old are you? Obviously not emotionally old enough to be on this site.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Where was anyone being mean?

#1 is true...burn 3500 calories more than you eat and you lose a pound. But there are many factors that go into weight loss that make those calculations inaccurate for most people.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

#1:
    it takes 3500 calories burned to lose 1pound!

#2:
    Current weight×10 = the caloric intake your body needs to maintain current weight

Goal weight ×10 = the caloric intake you need to be at (should not be under 1100 for women and 1300 for men)

Subtract the 2 caloric intake values and that is how much you "burn" just from dieting!

Add your calories burned from exercise and divide by 3500 and that is your estimated pounds lost.
    (This is just rough estimate calculations... often times weight lost is more than estimated value.)

Hey Allie.. Don't be bothered. Not sure how long you've been on MFP, but you'll find things like this happen often if you post something. I posted something once a while back that I thought was just a helpful fun fact & people sarcastically mocked & were rude to me also. It upset me as well. I like getting on MFP but I only come into the community typically to read things. It's hard to post anything without getting sarcasm. Not everyone is like that but you do have them. Thank you for sharing your post & don't be upset. Just pep up & push on girl! :wink:

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You guys dont have to be so MEAN about it... god... i get it... ALL OF YOU ARE BEING SO MEAN!!
    I went out and got professional help and advice and you disagree. Agree to disagree and let it go!
    You dont have to keep pestering and attacking me... do you want me to cry?? Well good cause you got that....

You seem to be emotionally unable to handle the internet. Have you seen a professional?
  • Labellayamii
    Options
    My doctors told me this. And i thought i would share that information. No need to be rude to someone for trying to be helpful

Thank you :) Finally found out how much of a calorie intake I should be on!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    My doctors told me this. And i thought i would share that information. No need to be rude to someone for trying to be helpful

Thank you :) Finally found out how much of a calorie intake I should be on!

@Labellayamii

The information in that post is incorrect, however if you would like to figure out your correct calorie intake, I'm happy to help.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Funnest fact of all...imperial measuments are irritating!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    #1:

#2:
    Current weight×10 = the caloric intake your body needs to maintain current weight

Goal weight ×10 = the caloric intake you need to be at (should not be under 1100 for women and 1300 for men)

Subtract the 2 caloric intake values and that is how much you "burn" just from dieting!

Add your calories burned from exercise and divide by 3500 and that is your estimated pounds lost.
    (This is just rough estimate calculations... often times weight lost is more than estimated value.)

Actually #1 should say it takes 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. I can fluctate several pounds of water weight without a deficit of 3500 calories based just on sodium intake or time of the month.

#2 Sounds more like a calculation to find a BMR estimate (calories burned at rest) and not TDEE (total daily energy expenditure/maintenance calorie level). I say this because:
    • I weight around 150lbs right now
    • My BMR (calories I burn doing nothing) is 1428, just slightly less than my weight x 10
    • My average intake for the last 30 days is 2006 calories and I've lost 4.7 lbs in that same 30 days.

No one is trying to be mean. People are just pointing out that your post is a little misinformed.

Did you get the information from a dietitian or a nutritionist? Reason I ask, is because a Dietitian has to actually go to school for awhile and specifically study nutrition. A nutritionist doesn't have to have any educational training about nutrition.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    #1 yes
    #2 no

and this is the internet…deal with the responses...
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Oh and I believe the minimums where changed last year to 1200 for women and 1500 for men, but I'll need to look it up to be sure.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    ....dude. stahp. no way would i ever eat 1400 cals. In fact, today I ate 2800...lol...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ml03b5nufb1s2whrio1_500.gif
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Oh here's MFP's message about it:
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals

They even have a link to where they got the information from (NIH/National Institute of Health).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    sorry, out.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Mean people thread!!!!!!!!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    #1:

#2:

#2 - Not true. I think it's more x14-16 to estimate what maintenance might be. Once you get that, then adjust as needed.

And no subtracting whatever. It's weight x 10 to get an estimate on the calorie goal (that includes exercise calories) to figure out an estimated deficit. x8 or 9 if you are obese.

If you are trying to include exercise calories, then just stick with MFP. MFP is based on the NEAT Method which means you eat exercise calories back. No need to do all that you are trying to do because it's already something done for you by MFP.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

And on a Friday! (for 45 more minutes)
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    To add, doctors tend to be misinformed. Nutritionists tend to follow fads. I'd look for a registered dietitian to talk to if you want to verify the information you've been told.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

And on a Friday! (for 45 more minutes)

YAY! BINGO!
This discussion has been closed.