Is diet pop really bad for you?

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    vbaez6 wrote: »
    My name is jessica , and I'm addicted to diet pop! I'm trying to give up, it has 0 calories/carbs... So why do I keep hearing it will,prevent weight loss????

One concern about artificial sweeteners is that they affect the body’s ability to gauge how many calories are being consumed. Some studies show that sugar and artificial sweeteners affect the brain in different ways.

The human brain responds to sweetness with signals to eat more. By providing a sweet taste without any calories, however, artificial sweeteners cause us to crave more sweet foods and drinks, which can add up to excess calories.

So in conclusion, don't use artificial sweeteners if you can help it (AKA diet soda).

OK, I'll play this game... let's say that hypothetically, what you are saying is true (hypothetically because you haven't actually cited a study). I drink diet soda, which is 0 calorie and has artificial sweetener. I then should crave more diet soda, right? So I drink more sweet-tasting, 0 calorie diet soda. Now what? I drink more? Let's say I do, in fact, drink even more diet soda.

So hypothetically, let's say that I just consumed 3 bottles (20 fl. oz.) of diet soda. at 0 calories per 8 fl. ozserving:

3 bottles X 20 fl. oz = 60 fl. oz / 8 = 7.5 servings x 0 calories per serving = 0 total calories

So far I'm at 0 calories, but maybe it won't end there. In fact, maybe I will drink 3 more bottles.... no, cancel that - let's go back to a week ago (2/27) when I drank 2 fillings of a 100 fl. oz. mug of Diet Pepsi.

2 x 100 fl oz = 200 fl oz. / 8 fl oz. = 25 servings x 0 calories per serving = 0 total calories

I know that seems like an insignificant amount of calories, but Fitbit says I walked 12.66 miles (17 hr. day at work, mostly walking around) so I figured that I might have exercised enough to be safe. Maybe... but I know it is hard to work off all zero of those calories.

ETA: This is sarcasm, just in case you were wondering.

You're conveniently leaving out the part where you overpower a police officer, take his weapon and use it to rob a 7/11 of all it's Little Debbie snack cakes because you could no longer control the urges of your sugar addiction that were prompted by all those artificial TOXINZ that you consumed

Allegedly.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    svirds wrote: »
    Water is best for hydration. There is no nutritional value in soda at all, but it is loaded with other junk. I personally do have a strong reaction to artificial sweeteners, especially aspartame. That's a person choice based on what you believe or how your body responds. My two cents would be - why put chemicals and crap in your body if you don't need to?

Exactly, why would you?

In today's paper, there was a full page ad from the World Health Orgainisation, supported by the Heart Foundation and the Cancer Council. "Say NOOO! to soda!"

"This week, the World Health Organisation confirmed its new guidelines for sugar. Adults should consume less than 10 teaspoons a day, ideally no more than six - about half a can of soft drink. Too much sugar can cause toxic fat to build up around your vital organs and can lead to cancer, type 2 diabetes and heart disease."

Surely, all these experts aren't delusional and are not all idiots.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The WHO would never say "toxic fat". Who was quoting the WHO?

So the WHO put out a recommendation to limit refined sugar in the diet. Diet soda has no refined sugar. Done.
  • LeenaGee
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I quoted from the ad in today's paper. No wording was added by me.
    It said "NOOO to soda"

Diet soda was not mentioned in the ad.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So the WHO did not use the term "toxic fat" an AD SPONSOR used the term. Who was that, just out of curiosity? What is their agenda?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Water is best for hydration. There is no nutritional value in soda at all, but it is loaded with other junk. I personally do have a strong reaction to artificial sweeteners, especially aspartame. That's a person choice based on what you believe or how your body responds. My two cents would be - why put chemicals and crap in your body if you don't need to?

Exactly, why would you?

In today's paper, there was a full page ad from the World Health Orgainisation, supported by the Heart Foundation and the Cancer Council. "Say NOOO! to soda!"

"This week, the World Health Organisation confirmed its new guidelines for sugar. Adults should consume less than 10 teaspoons a day, ideally no more than six - about half a can of soft drink. Too much sugar can cause toxic fat to build up around your vital organs and can lead to cancer, type 2 diabetes and heart disease."

The thread is about DIET soda. Not sugar. You got your soapboxes mixed up.

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    It has always helped me lose weight. I have a Diet Barq's when I'm craving something sweet and it really hits the spot.
    My brother tried to tell me that it stopped you from losing weight, years ago. It's funny, because he was arguing that with me when I was at my goal weight, and had hit it while drinking 1-2 (or more) a day.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I lost 126 lbs drinking diet soda. (I gained it back due to injury, not due to diet soda). You may read things saying it's bad for weight loss, but each person is different. If you find it helps you to lose weight and not feel deprived, go for it.
  • LeenaGee
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As I said, I quoted the whole ad as written in the paper. It is the same ad that has been televised nationwide for the past year and the words "toxic fat" are used. Apparently it is a joint campaign between the State Government, Heart Foundation and Cancer Council to encourage people to eat well, be physically active and maintain a healthy weight.
  • sarashahgholami
    Options
    dantl wrote: »
    It does prevent weight loss because of the chemical artificial sweeteners such as sucralose, acesulfame-K (potassium), saccharin and aspartame. They have zero calories, but the chemicals and the sweet taste with zero calories doesn't trick the brain that you are eating sugar and instead stimulates your appetite so you eat more to make up for the calorie deficit the brain is expecting. It causes you to gain more weight and proportionately more fat and in turn slows your metabolism.

I would suggest a few things. You can put lemon or cucumber slices in your water to flavor it. You an also try sparkling mineral water (Perrier has flavored waters) or using plain and mixing with a little bit of 100% cranberry juice with a touch of stevia. The more you can fall in love with regular water - the better your weight loss.

Yer funny, Bro.

Have a look at my profile pics and tell me again it "prevents weight loss"

I'm laughin' over here ...

1425152206280.gif

I actually agree with him. I was never into sodas but bought a pack of diet dr pepper a few months ago and liked the taste. I noticed that every single time I had one, which was not often, my stomach would be RAGING with hunger and I would go over my caloric goal (not by much, but I felt compelled to eat) despite the discipline I have on days I do not drink it.

I think everyone is different but after my experiences, I can totally do without diet soda!
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    On a very basic level, I see no nutritional value in diet soda whatsoever, so why drink the crap.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Exactly, why would you?

You are talking about this press release I assume:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

There is no mention of 'toxic fat'.

Extract:

“We have solid evidence that keeping intake of free sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake reduces the risk of overweight, obesity and tooth decay,” says Dr Francesco Branca, Director of WHO’s Department of Nutrition for Health and Development. “Making policy changes to support this will be key if countries are to live up to their commitments to reduce the burden of noncommunicable diseases.”

The WHO guideline does not refer to the sugars in fresh fruits and vegetables, and sugars naturally present in milk, because there is no reported evidence of adverse effects of consuming these sugars.

Reducing sugars intake to less than 10% of total energy: a strong recommendation

The recommendations are based on analysis of the latest scientific evidence. This evidence shows, first, that adults who consume less sugars have lower body weight and, second, that increasing the amount of sugars in the diet is associated with a weight increase. "

So, basically, if you eat a lot of sugar, you have more risk of being overweight - not exactly a shocker, not relevant for people not overweight (as long as you have good dental hygiene) and totally irrelevant to the topic at hand.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    On a very basic level, I see no nutritional value in diet soda whatsoever, so why drink the crap.

Because it helps some with adherence, has no negative effects in reasonable doses for many, and some people like the taste.

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    dantl wrote: »
    It does prevent weight loss because of the chemical artificial sweeteners such as sucralose, acesulfame-K (potassium), saccharin and aspartame. They have zero calories, but the chemicals and the sweet taste with zero calories doesn't trick the brain that you are eating sugar and instead stimulates your appetite so you eat more to make up for the calorie deficit the brain is expecting. It causes you to gain more weight and proportionately more fat and in turn slows your metabolism.

I would suggest a few things. You can put lemon or cucumber slices in your water to flavor it. You an also try sparkling mineral water (Perrier has flavored waters) or using plain and mixing with a little bit of 100% cranberry juice with a touch of stevia. The more you can fall in love with regular water - the better your weight loss.

Yer funny, Bro.

Have a look at my profile pics and tell me again it "prevents weight loss"

I'm laughin' over here ...

1425152206280.gif

I actually agree with him. I was never into sodas but bought a pack of diet dr pepper a few months ago and liked the taste. I noticed that every single time I had one, which was not often, my stomach would be RAGING with hunger and I would go over my caloric goal (not by much, but I felt compelled to eat) despite the discipline I have on days I do not drink it.

I think everyone is different but after my experiences, I can totally do without diet soda!

That may just be your personal experience. I've never had that issue.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I quoted from the ad in today's paper. No wording was added by me.
    It said "NOOO to soda"

Diet soda was not mentioned in the ad.

So why did you even mention it?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

It tastes good, is a nice little sweet note after a meal, and can fill you up when you're feeling peckish but not really hungry.

Also? When your tummy's not quite feeling right, diet ginger ale goes down a treat.

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    There's no nutritional value in water either.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't know much about science, and I have no citations to offer. I only know what is true for me:

~I'll be 50 in May and have been drinking diet soda (on average 2-3 per week) since I was a teenager. I use half a packet of Sweet Leaf Stevia in my coffee (2-3 cups per day);
    ~I don't believe that, since I'm drinking diet soda, I can eat whatever I want. If you see me at McDonald's ordering a quarter pounder, fries and a Diet Coke, it's because I like the taste of Diet Coke, not because I think the Diet Coke negates the burger and fries;
    ~I suffer no stomach problems, or in fact, any physical ailments from drinking diet soda;
    ~I have not found that diet soda/artificial sweeteners make me want to eat more. I was a Diet Coke drinker when I was at my heaviest, and a Diet Coke drinker when I was at my lightest. Easing up on the reins and shoving too much food in my face is what makes me fat, not the zero-calorie beverage I use to wash down said food.

Obviously my experience isn't the same as other people's. If someone doesn't like the way diet soda affects them, then they don't have to drink it. But given my experience, I don't see why I should give it up.