WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katiebug - it has been a beautiful day in GA. I cleaned up the irises and cleaned out dead grass and other intruders from my neighbor's yard that had slipped under the fence. Tomorrow I will bag up the mess and hopefully clean up the hosta bed on the side of the house. Then I have to wait past the last frost to do more gardening - I have some planting in mind!

Not good news about my oldest sister (74 yo) who has BC. She returned to the hospital 2 weeks ago and is still there. Her youngest son called my DB#2 (his uncle) to let us know she now has pneumonia and a 50/50 chance to survive. The last time I spoke with her she was just home from her first hospitalization for dehydration and really loopy. Her spirits had been low, too. I said I'd call her that Sunday, but she was back at the hospital by then. Then we next knew she had a UTI and was still dehydrated, so I'm not sure when the pneumonia appeared. It must have been so hard for my nephew to have to make those calls - he is really close to his mom. DB#2 is flying there Tuesday and will let the rest of us who have moved out of state know the status. He is a good one to go because he has a medical background, is married to a nurse/nurse instructor, and can assess the situation. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it all at this point - not wanting her to suffer, yet thinking how sad it would be to not have her with us, but still thinking of how she would be at peace in 'the life triumphant' with the Father. All 5 of us siblings stay in touch and are close. And how we laugh when we are with each other!

We had lunch with DS#1 today - he came up to get mail and documents he needed for renewing his driver's license.

It will be a YOYO (you're on your own) dinner tonight, since we had that late lunch out. I've got to get walking to compensate!

Gail, metro ATL
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My day got hijacked by DD who called to ask me to bring her riding gear out to the show barn where she worked this am. One of the owners who is away called and asked if she would exercise her horse. When I got there, I got treated to the grand tour and met all these horses (even the stallions!!!) she's been talking about for months then watched her put the horse through its paces. She said it's one of the top three she has ever ridden. I did get to see the old lesson horse who took DD through about three years of lessons when she (DD) was young, lovely mare just moved to this barn, retired now. Gave her the apples and carrots I took along and got a bit misty (silly, I know) talking to her. DD always said she was so comfortable that it was like riding a flying couch over the jumps. Funny, the horse has moved from my friends barn to this one and, out of all the barns in the area, it's also one where DD is working.

Tomorrow is our monthly gym breakfast at Golden Corral, then I go to an elementary school race to help with timing. Supposed to be warmer; maybe I'll get those seeds done.

Heather.........Sounds like a great party!!! Glad you had such a fun time!

Beth in Me..........That pic is beautiful but looks sooooooo cold.

Linda........So nice to see you here again!

Selena..........You must have TONS of hummers to use that much sugar!!!

Sassy......I've heard about magnesium for leg cramps. I don't think I have them often enough to take it, but it's good to keep in mind if necessary. Thanks for reminding me.

Katla........Hope your boat trailer work went well.

Gail.......Sorry to learn of all your sisters medical challenges, I hope she is comfortable. Will keep her in my thoughts.

All for now,
    yanniejannie

PS Sylvia.......update, anyone?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,138 Member
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Yikes!! We spent all last summer trying to get repairs for hail damage done so that we could put our house up for sale. We finally gave up in November and decided we would just spend the winter here and try again this spring. Yesterday we had an offer from a gentleman to buy the house as is. We are now in a designated historical neighborhood and he wants to restore it. Today we accepted his offer and Monday all the paperwork will begin. I am feeling panicked and excited at the same time and my first inclination is to eat everything in sight. Will go to symphony this evening so that should help but there seem to be just too many things to think about. Need strength to keep away from the food and keep exercising.

Everyone enjoy the warming weather. Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to all with victories. Sue in SD
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Hello everyone!

My problem that I am having with the ticker has been an issue for many members Since early last year. I reported the issue to MFP so hopefully it will be resolved soon. when I click on ticker it automatically kicks me out to my homepage. if anyone else is experiencing this please notify MFP through an email.

Mary from Minnesota
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Looks like you clicked on Badges and used one of those codes. You have to click on Tickers (after Apps). And then copy the BBcode (the one on the left).

Not sure about the "kicking you out to the homepage"; maybe someone else can help.

Cynthia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,596 Member
    Options
    fanncy ---- uhh... yeah....i guess so, you'll do... hehehe.... need to send me a friend request though ;0)
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Cynthia - I did click on badges because the ticker kept sending me to my homepage. I thought it might be mixed up. I sent an email to technical support. It is not a new problem.

Pipcd34 - okay lol

Mary from Minnesota

• pipcd34
    edited March 2015
    Options
    fanncy- welcome o little one to the wonderful world of pipville, you should be honored to be accepted into my elite world of pipness
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Pipcd34 - thanks, you have been an inspiration with your dedication to your exercises and I'm a sucker for dog parents!
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,

Sylvia – sure hope you’re doing ok and back home

Gail – sorry to hear about your sister

Yanniejannie – if your day had to be hijacked, sounds like a pretty nice way. I love being around horses.

Sue in SD – congratulations on selling your house. Do you have a new place yet?

MMinMD – congratulations on seeing that scale!

Sweetandsassyfied – our rescue group calls the ones that foster and then adopt “foster failures”. I think all of us in the group have been one once or twice. Lol

Carey – love the picture of the stone house

The weather warmed up a little so got a chance to take a nice walk with my DH. As we were walking we spotted a fox crossing a frozen creek and was able to get a quick picture.

For those in the US, don’t forget to set your clocks up before bed tonight.

Saw the picture of the turtle and thought it sounded just right for me at this time.

Tina from MD

fihilrhm77u4.jpg

rbeui60ax2ok.jpg

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Mary in Minnesota - It's estimated that 15,000 people curl in the U.S. Nearly half of those live in Minnesota and Wisconsin. ….. Are you inviting me down to the ‘spiel on the 19th? I haven’t packed my curling equipment away yet???

Gail in Metro ATL – I love the term YOYO… I think I will use that, 

Sue in SD – its okay …you can pack the food up - you don’t have to eat it all

I am tired - when DGS woke up we went outside for a toboggan ride... and of course 1 1/2 miles later he was finally ready to come in the house. I already did the basement work, my rebounder exercises and house cleaning.... at least I made my 10,000 steps today... :p

Pancakes and eggs for supper tonight.... almost a YOYO night ...lol

And guess what - more curling to watch.... :D

Goodnight everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
    where the sun shone today and the snow started to melt
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! What a day! But the good news is that I'm starting to feel some improvement. I'm not as queasy as I was yesterday. Still very constipated, and now have hemmeroids starting. More joy.

This morning we went to Sears and Home Depot looking for a dishwasher. We finally decided on a Maytag at Home Depot. They had the exact same one at Sears, but we saved $20 on installation at HD. It has stainless steel interior, which I've never had before, so I'm not sure I'm going to like it, but it's supposed to be really quiet. That's important because the kitchen is part of the great room where we watch tv.

Then we drove out to the lake to check on the cabin. It's been a couple of months since we got to stay out there, and hubby thought the stairs would be too hard on me this weekend too. But it was a beautiful day for a little drive with my favorite person in the world. 65 degrees and sunny! All the snow has melted and left some mud, but that's ok.

When we came back into town we decided to stop at rib crib for an early dinner. The doc has put me on a "low residue, low fiber" diet, which is totally nuts. It's completely opposite from what I've been on for the last two years. I'm not even allowed salad! No whole wheat, nothing with high fiber, no fruit with seeds or skin, no nuts, etc, etc. but I'm "recommended" to have soft cooked meat of any kind, including bacon, white potatoes without skin, white rice, bread and butter! (This is going to call for very strict portion control) This is crazy talk! Like I've fallen into a parallel universe! Well, it's only till I see the gastro guy on the 24th. So, at rib crib i decided I wanted a baked potato. They only have baked potatoes they call Super Spuds, which have chopped brisket on top. So that's what I ordered. Hubby said he would eat half after he finished his meal. You would all have DIED if you saw that potato! It was completely the length of the knife, nearly as wide, and HEAPED with brisket! It very nearly filled the plate! The employees were laughing because they had never seen one that big before, and they use big potatoes. They said if a potato isn't 6 inches, they won't use it. That monster must have weighed 4 pounds! So, I cut off one end, hubby cut off the other end, and we brought home about 3 pounds. I took a picture before we ate it. It was crazy.

When we got home I rested for a while, then went walking with hubby and the dogs. I had Spot and everything was fine till Spot saw another dog a block or so away and pulled on the leash. That did not feel good on my tummy, but I survived.

Later, I started plugging all my meds into an online checker to see if it was ok to take milk of magnesia with all this other junk, and found out that several of the meds I've been on for years have interaction warnings with each other! They were just rated as moderate, but still, I'm going to my regular doc on Monday and will show her the list to get her opinion.

Still, that's all I think I can manage on my first full day out of "stir". Tomorrow the kids are coming over to ride bikes, with hubby supervising, and we are getting buckets of chicken or something that I don't have to fuss with or clean up after. I can have left over baked potato!

Well, I'm going to bed early. I still have not caught up on reading the thread, but I know you were all worried about me, so I wanted to let you know I'm ok. Getting stronger by the minute!

Have a great evening everyone! Hugs to all!

Sylvia

• fanncy0626
    Options
    Lillian - yes you can come down and watch! But they gave you the wrong date it is on the 13th next Friday it starts and goes through the weekend. you and your DH can stay with us.

Sylvia - I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better! They finally put you on the low fiber diet that my DH had to be on for 30 days. He actually stayed on it longer than that if he felt like he was becoming constipated. I kind of envied him being able to eat white potatoes white bread and white rice! he did lose weight on this diet without trying. you will do well!

Mary from Minnesota
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening, ladies.

Danishgirl, you are very welcome to join, and in fact did so by posting. That’s all it takes. Tell us a little about yourself and visit often.

Nancy in MI, welcome. You will find this a very supportive and informative group of ladies.

Saussy, wow you do have a gym. Hey, no excuses for you. ;)

Chris, congrats on those jeans getting too big and on finding new ones.

Beth, beautiful picture and it even looks cold.

Heather, so glad you had a good time at the party. And good that you had a DD.

Gail, so sorry about the news on your sister.

Sue, Congrats on the sale of your house and on you not having to do any additional repairs. As an ex-Realtor and one that has moved multiple times, I know how stressful it is to have your house on the market. Just take it one day at a time and it will be behind you before you know it.

Pip, I know we are friends so I don’t have to dwell in pipville. :D And I absolutely love your black lab. What does she weigh? She looks petite like my girl.

Tina, Great pictures.

Lillian, it sounds like you had a busy and productive day. I like the YOYO term, too.

Sylvia, thanks for checking in, because YES we were all worried about you. It sounds like that potato would have fed an army. You might get several meals on it if no one wants to cook. So glad you are home and feeling better. The new foods you can eat are going to be quite a change. Or I guess it's more the foods you can't eat. Do check in with us as often as you feel up to it. We want you well. We miss you and not because of your jokes.*gentle hugs*

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had a very uneventful day, which is always a good day. I got a little housekeeping done, got in all my exercising and prepared a good dinner. All is right with the world. Some shopping tomorrow and try to enjoy our warm spell. I’m so happy for all of you that are getting warmer weather. I hope you all have a restful night and a happy and healthy tomorrow.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did about 50 minutes of Stephanie Huckabee's Power Fit DVD. It was really 3 DVDs, each for 20 minutes, but I skipped the introduction part on all of them. Tomorrow's plan is to do the cardio and core parts of her DVD series.

Janet - yes, I know that the calories on the bran muffins are low. I just don't remember the exact number. By looking over my memu, you can probably find out the extract number. I suspect one of the reasons it's so low (but filling) is because of all the fiber. I can tell you that they are 0 pooints in weight watchers. I have one of their converters on my computer so that's how I know. I'm with you, if I don't exercise first thing in the morning, I really really have to make myself do it, if it gets done at all. At first when I got my haircut, if I got it cut at one place they would give me a bang trim for free. Well, then they started charging $5. For $5 I trim my own bangs!

Diane in KS - what kind of hobby does your son have? I do hope he can take you out

Don't know why, but today I've been thinking about Bryan a lot. We sent him a package before we left for FL, I've had to email him to ask him if he got it and how the pill shooter is working out (for giving a pill to one of his cats).

Diane in KS
    - Do you rent out the land on your farm? "talk" as much as you'd like, I for one love reading what you write.

Joyce
    - Sorry, but I don't agree with Charlie one bit. I think you were right in bringing it to the manager's attention. What could he do? He could speak to the plowing guys, that's what he could do. Yes, they probably never thought of it. You're right, it wouldn't take the manager long at all to shovel a walkway. Techno-guru, that's you!

After exercising went to WalMart to get Vince milk. Then stopped at Kohl's since I had a $5 off coupon plus a 30% off. I know Jess needs a meat mallet so I was going to get her one. But they wanted $25! I'm going to look in WalMart. But I did find 2 sweaters for myself, on sale 80% off. One of them I know I like, the other I'm not sure about. I'll just give it some time. Came home and made these energy bars for a guy at the Y's birthday (I'll take some to the place where I take the extremepump) and then made these mini-quiches to take to rummikub Tuesday night. I'll just freeze them. Had to make a pound of bacon since I needed some to go in the quiches, I know Vince'll finish it up. He was so happy that I made it.

Sassy - you have every right to be proud. Toot toot toot. That was so nice of you to give your vet a plant, and it was especially great that she thinks so highly of you as a pet owner to recommend you for another dog. That says an awful lot

Pat - I agree with you, cutting down on the food (and kind of food) and exercise is what really helps you lose weight. But I find that having some vinegar makes me want to eat less, so in that respect I guess you could call it a diet "aid", but I really don't consider it an aid.

Cynthia - I'm with you, I hate when people park in handicapped spaces "just for a minute". The other thing, and I know Lynette does this but I never say anything to her, is using someone's handicapped placard when you aren't handicapped. Now Ken is handicapped, but Lynette isn't. she'd just like to park closer. It's too much work to walk to the store (a little bit of extra exercise probably wouldn't hurt her)

MMin - that's wonderful that you and your sister check up on each other! Great NSV!

Chris - when I was in college, we used to get good bargains in Filene's Basement. Do they still have good bargains there?

Janet - loved the poem. I'm tired of winter, even tho we haven't had the snow like the NE has gotten.

danishgirlbc and Nancy from Michigan - of course you can join!

selena - I don't have a fitbit, but when we were in FL a friend of mine just got one. I don't know how true this is (maybe someone can tell me?) but she was holding her pocketbook on her shoulder and her husband commented that she needs to swing her arm in order for it to register her steps. How true that is, I don't know

Alison
    - I just had to let you know about the electrician when we had the pool installed. He came here to put the wiring in for the pump. Now, this is the first time they had used that type of pump. Well, he made a mistake and do you know that Vince told him what was wrong and how to fix it? He asked Vince to do it, but since it was an ongoing installation Vince didn't want to. I know that he wasn't happy about coming "all the way out here", but that's too bad.

Lesley
    "I would give anything for Mildred beagle to be well and running through the house scattering her hairs everywhere and sitting in front of my asking for a cookie." Now THAT'S why you need another doggie! You should at least foster one.

Gail - so sorry about your sister. Glad your brother is flying up there. Sounds like he'll make a good assessment

Sue in SD - that's wonderful that you got that offer.

pip - you're a pip!!! lol

Tina - lovely pics!

Sylvia
    - when I had my hemmerhoidectomy a couple of years ago, the doc said to take mineral oil, that would help things "flow". So so glad you're doing better. hanks jfor checking in

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sweetnsassy Toot, toot, toot! I hope you get to be a dog foster Mom. My youngest fostered several dogs. They knew her to be one who was willing to take the time and energy with dogs who had been abused in some way. One of these dogs, Trevor, had terrible fear of men. It took him a long time before he was emotionally healthy enough to go to foster events. But still he didn't 'show' well because of those past fears and therefore never attracted any potential owners so he became a foster fail and is just another one of her canine family. It speaks volumes of you that the vet wanted you to consider it.

Cynthia, my sister has enough handicaps that she needs to use a handicap space all the time vs me who rarely needs to use it. I use it in the summer with the heat. Well her husband loves to use it when it is just him in the car. When I called him out on it he said it was allowed because he had the handicap plate. I reminded him that his wife could have the plate revoked if they knew he was using it. I also asked him how it would make him feel if my sister needed one and there was none and they found out that some one had used it illegally. He still uses it.

Mikesmom that is a lot of snow. Poor Jake. It also looks like a lot of shovels.

Gail, I am so sorry about your sister. I know exactly how you feel. But it is in our human nature to want to keep our family with us. When my Mom developed cancer and we were having to make call after call and you have no idea what the person you are calling is really getting out of the phone call it can be complicated. So when she got into hospice, I decided to create a 'family' group on my face book messages. That way we could all communicate with each other. My brothers both live out of town, one of them 6 hours away. So they would really look forward to my updates twice a day, one right after the doctor came in and then one in the evening. One of my brothers is a chaplain in an inpatient hospice and he appreciated this method of communicating so much that he had his hospice put in two computers in their waiting room with wifi.

Yanni, your daughter is sure going to miss those horses a lot when she goes off to vet school. I can tell where she gets her compassion from.

Beth in Me, I was planning a trip to Maine or October one year and I did a lot of web searches for hotels. I swear I saw that exact hotel and thought it would be so ideal. We ended up not going. Suddenly DH decided he didn't like the idea of flying anymore

Sylvia, glad you are home and taking care of yourself. Yes, this new diet will be a challenge but knowing you, you will be up for it. I am glad that they gave you more of a specific diet this time

I have gone to the same beautician for about 20 years. Now that she has her shop in her own home she can make her own charges. I pay $18 for just a wash and cut. I have had my hair cut in the same style for so many years I don't need her to do it for me.

Michelle, and her 'boys' came over today to play. Our back yard is still a mess from when they had to dig down to fix the sewer and the weather hasn't cooperated for us to really pack the dirt back down real good and re-seed. So it is kind of like a swamp out there. Now if we hadn't had 45 degrees sunny weather today we still would have had a good deal of snow on the ground. But it is just patches of it. Michelle had her 8 year old boxer Justice, Trevor who is a good size mix breed, Timmy who is a medium to large mix breed and a friend with her dog Willis who is a big lab. So now our yard that had beautiful virgin snow 2 days ago is all trampled and looks like a swamp again. I'm just gald they didn't come in my house. She has a postage stamp size yard and they all look forward to the weekends when they all go out to the dog park and all her friends and their dogs come and they just have a wonderful time. She has one friend that has 2 full blooded huskies. So beautiful.

Don't forget to move your clocks forward. I have done everything I need to to expedite getting to church tomorrow. I hate this spring forward but love the extra hour of sunlight.

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Michele in NC - you are making me soooo hungry! I love bacon and mini quiches and chocolate. I am curious about the chocolate bran muffins are they like the texture of oatmeal cookies or a granola bar? Would you mind reposting the recipe?

Joyce in Indiana - thanks for the reminder of setting the clock back!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Last time I weighed yogi he weighed 75 lbs
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yannie Even with this amazing set up I still have one excuse coming soon. Will have the metal removed from my foot in June. Recovery is NOTHING like having them out in. So a couple of beg your pardons ( Long weekend in bed. Then 2 weeks or so building up again ) and I am back at it! ;)

Many of you seem pretty well versed in the area of fostering dogs. Would you be so kind as to share with me all that it would entail? Because quite honestly, since I just heard of it, it hasn't gone much further then being a thought. As far as I've gotten in my thinking was; that I would have the opportunity to show a pet to be some love and teach it some basic manners for inside and outside the house. Perhaps a trick or two if given enough time. ;) Oh and speaking of time, how long does one foster a dog before they have to give them back?

Back to weight loss health and fitness. I was wondering too about how many calories you eat or allot yourselves. Your heights and stuff. I will start. :D

I'm 5´8" and eat between 1600-2000ish. 1600 on low days & 2000ish on high days. But I usually average between 1800-1900 calories a day. I am losing on average 1- 1 1/2 lbs. a week.

At present I am walking 3.5 miles every morning & riding a stationary bike for 45 minutes working towards an hour in the afternoons. ( Though on Monday I am going to start these Classic Stretches. Thanks Mary from MN! )

Optional....
    I started at 225 lbs. Am currently 208 lbs. I set my goal for 140 because I am lofty like that. :p My normal weight ranges between 145-155.

As you can tell I like ranges because this way I am never to strict on myself. Plus life was made to be lived! And if I am within range... It's all good! :D

I hope you guys join me in telling me a wee bit about your style as we learn and laugh with each other along the way in our journey's.

Sincerely,
    Sassy aus Austria
    • If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

• Being Fat is Hard.
    Losing Weight is Hard.
    Maintenance is Hard.

Choose Your Hard.