WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 1054619uymc383ki3.gif

smiley-cool05.gif Welcome to a friendly community of women. The name says Women ages 50+ but all women are welcome. I hope that those of you who are new will become part of this community. None of us is able to manage this journey to health and fitness alone.

How did you do with your goals or resolutions for February?
What goals or resolutions have you chosen for March?

:D Sign your post with your name or alias and your geographic location so we can get to know each other better.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

My quote for 2015 (and the last six years)--- The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

February Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*walk 19,000 steps a day (this is higher than last month)--every day
*strength training twice a week (this is the one I still haven't accomplished) smiley-sport017.gif--about once a week
*get the income tax numbers compiled and mailed to the accountant--done
*Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good--this goes well with my happiness commandment to "Lighten up"--well done

March Resolutions
*walk 19,000 steps a day--same as last month
*strength training twice a week--same as last month smiley-sport017.gif--
* find and use two new low sodium recipes
*finish sorting the slides
*don't expect praise or recognition

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    I'm there
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks barbie <3
  • Socialwacker
    Socialwacker Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I have finally quit laughing at the dog! I’ll call the vet Monday to get him on meds. We had family day today; went to a great bar and grill for burgers then to a board game café. Way fun! DD#1 didn’t come…she started texting DH at 4 this morning complaining about the BF and asking us to postpone family day because she was up all night with the baby. We didn’t; we found that doing that ends up meaning that we never have family day. We plan around schedules, but can’t keep changing it. She even said she would report the BF to child protective services for going out last night! We decided the only way we would reply was to say “can’t help you; go to counseling”.

Thiavalley: good nsv! I simply can’t resist donuts.

Terri glad the procedures went well

Selena: happy birthday!

Joyce: happy early birthday!

Anamika: glad to see you again and to hear you are back to your yoga

Abstinator: I’m so sorry to hear about the return of your son’s cancer. Sending you hugs

Alison: don’t apologize for laughing! I nearly wet my pants when we figured out what was going on! Get some rest; you sounds really busy!

Sylvia: hilarious!

Heather: great looking babies! Istill haven’t seen my DGD since New years day.

Pip: your fur babies are great looking too!

Margaret; nice pictures; I hope you enjoyed the event!

Carol: hope the sinus infection goes away soon! Let us know what you find out about your shoulder. My dh had a total shoulder replacement several years ago and is so glad he did it

Vicki: no, we are aligned with Nebraska Medicine (UNMC). CHI has nearly all the other facilities in town though, but their census is way down in each place and we are bursting at the seams.

Pam: thanks for the good thoughts with the news about your old dog. I just hope we can get him to stop peeing in the house now with meds. He asks to go out when we are home, but can’t last more than 6 hours, so the workdays are an issue. He won’t wear diapers and we can’t confine him. We tried to crate train him, but he was about 7 when we got him and he was a rescue, so we don’t know what’s in his background, but that sure didn’t’ work~

Barbie thanks for the new thread!

OK here are my March goals
    1. 7500 steps ( up by 500)
    2. 3 hours of exercise a week; work up to 3 ½ (still have to figure out what I can do!)
    3. stay on eating plan!

Take care all. I’m looking forward to a better march. Oh! Forgot to tell you; we had enough students fail the course that we lost an entire clinical group and I got to give mine up…so no clinical in March and April. I’m so happy I could do a jig except then my knee would fall off!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Meg, good to see you in good spirits! Great job holding on to family night. Is it the video link you thought was hilarious? I did too. Watched it about 20 times and laughed every time. That puppy needs a little more junk in his trunk.

It finally stopped snowing. I think we wound up with about a foot. The dogs were out frolicking in the snow. It was so cute. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow, so hopefully it will melt off the roads. I don't mind one snow day, but draw the line at two. I keep reminding myself...At least I don't live in Buffalo.

Good night everyone.

Sylvia

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    February has been a good month for me. I still have to push myself to drink enough water. I tend to soak my water in ground up coffee beans before drinking it. It just isn’t the same as pure water. :devil:

February Goals Report:

1. Log every bite and swallow. Done.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Huge improvements this month! I’m going to the gym three or more days a week, taking core strength and yoga classes, and working more on strength in the machine room.
    3. Have fun every day. I LOVE this goal!
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more! Needs work. See above comment.
    5. Eliminate alcohol. Done
    6. Monitor sleep. Done

March Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least three days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily.
    5. Stay alcohol free.
    6. Monitor sleep. This is vital for me. I can see a huge negative difference in thinking ability when I’m not getting enough sleep.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

30881843.png

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    March goals:
    -100 miles walked
    - 20 days over 10,000 steps.
    - strength training 3x's per week.

Still snowing today - supposed to be done overnight :D maybe March will come in like a lamb.....

Good night everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Barbie -- thanks for keeping us going...

I had a nice couple of days away, and while I did not log, I did quite well as the friend I was visiting is very careful of her diet, we did splurge on a glass of port in the hot tub... she lives out in the country and the stars were wonderful. She has two dogs, she recently adopted and this was my first time to met them, - really nice doggies... We put together a quilt top for a quilt I am working on, I will get the pictures organized and post some soon.

Katab2014 – wacky is ok by me….

Joyce – glad you were able to go with your sister….

Abby, Gillian – welcome

Alison – love the “hoeing out” the visual of you and hubby with hoes! LOL – hope your cold gets better!

Patty - It seems like everyone here does baby showers so I have been to a few that the grandma to be is throwing one for her child and grandbaby… sometimes feels like a gift grab, but they can be fun.

Carol - I found my group on Meetup.com and I just typed in Raleigh, NC (the only city I knew of in NC) and there is stuff there too…. It is great fun… A rebounder is a small trampoline

Terri – I have trouble with the call of sugar too… sometimes find that a serving of pineapple helps, it is pretty sweet and not nearly as calorie dense as a dessert.

Heather – a drop of 2800 feet would do me in!!! hope you do catch up with your London friend!

Karen – hmmm…. Are you getting enough fiber and water?

Lilymay – I laughed when you said your bellybutton would be chewing on your backbone, as in my body, my belly button has never met my backbone!!!

Sylvia – take care!!! Glad hubby is looking out for you. What an awful thing for the repair guy to say, I would have done just what you did as who knows what someone like that would do if you commented on it. However if he works for a service/or company I would call and talk to the manager and let them know.

Peachstategal/Heather – I was wondering about pointy cabbage too, I googled it and it is a green cabbage that is shaped in a point..I have never seen it in my local market.

Pip – I understand about not wanted to re-hash something you have come to terms with… and time is in such short supply, choosing to bow out is a good idea. I am sorry to hear you have had such trials, but so impressed that you have overcome them. As for subbing Congrats!!! Later – you told the group and got a not great response --- GRRRR I am sending you a virtual hug!!! ((((((((((((hug)))))))))))) sometimes folks say the darnest things… don’t they think about how what they say sounds?

DeeDee – beautiful picture!

Meg – sorry to hear about the pup, and the work drama!!! Hang in there!!! could you contain your pup with a baby door to just a tiled area? Kitchen or bath???

Joyce – LOL at you copping a feel of a “scary” Halloween guy!!!

Selena – Happy Birthday!

Abby – so sorry to hear about your son and the cancer – sending you and yours good thoughts!

Vicki – Happy early birthday!!!

MA – thinking of you and your family!!!

March goals --
    walk every day
    log all bites everyday
    eat slower
    plan and do a fun thing every week

Feb. goals:
    Walk every day done! 100%
    Log all bites everyday - still not up to par..but closer
    Plan and do a fun thing every week - this week was visiting my friend, hiking with my new group, attending gourmet....

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    We had such a wonderful time today at daughter's house. They had cleaned the the living room and kitchen for us and Mom left strict instructions they were not to take us upstairs! But she had recently gotten some free organizers for the living room and it did actually look pretty good. She belongs to a group on the internet called 'All things in common' and people just trade things. She has gotten some pretty good things. But these organizers came from their church who were just going to throw them away. The musical was wonderful, not in the same way her younger sister's ballet was. But the ballet had all of the instructors and owner in it with the major parts and this musical was 7th and 8th grade students only. The musical was Godspell Jr and the young man who played Jesus did a wonderful job. Most of the soloists were nervous in their singing and you could tell it but their speaking parts were all good. I know my husbands reaction about it and so did my daughter and she just told him to keep it to himself and he did, well until we got in the car. I think I have said before, he went to our daughter's first musical and he saw it sounded like amateurs and never went to another one. Well they are amateurs, they are high school kids. And this group was middle school kids. But he didn't cuss much on the road and actually talked some which helped me.

Margaret, good job on the dishwasher! One day I noticed a bad smell in the kitchen. I don't always immediately empty ours so I opened it and could tell it was from the dishwasher. It was full of standing water, icky water. So Charlie had to empty it by hand, then tried to take it apart. I save every instruction book that comes with any appliance we get, even if it a mixer. So I got it out and it helped. Charlie loves the Lifesaver wintogreen mints. He can eat them by the handful and he leaves the celephane wrapper on the plate. Well it invariably goes in the dishwasher and sure enough when we finally got the the trap it was full of those wrappers.

Abstinator, I am so, so sorry about your son and what all you have been and possibly will go through with him. I can not imagine what your life is like. I had a sister who died at age 20 with bone cancer. She was the one who kept Mom and Dad's spirits up. She made every day count. She was the happiest person.

Allison, did you see a big change in your FIL? You know when we see some one every day you don't notice subtle changes but it has been a while now. I was glad my MIL was on medicaid and her nursing home did her laundry for free. Now you never knew whose clothes might come back in her closet but they were always clean.

Sylvia, I would have loved to keep my wedding dress but I didn't put in put it in the official preservation package, box or whatever it's called. I did put it in a heavy duty garment bag. Well the gerbils, who would forever be getting loose, found it and they made a huge mess of it. But the veil wasn't as bad. I had a dress that the veil was the long train also. There was still enough of the veil that it was a nice tea length. So my Mom cut it into a good shape and then I resewed the fancy lace back on. I put velcro on the top so that both my girls could choose their own head piece and just velcro it onto the veil. My grand daughters know the story of it and are excited that they can wear it for their weddings also. Both my girls have sold their dresses. But when I got married, I was an RN making good money and so was hubbie. Both of them left college dirt poor and still are.

Looking forward to March and turning the old 65!!! I like getting the coupons, I have a $5 coupon from Best Buy, Side kick of ribs at Texas Roadhouse and several other things. I will not eat the ribs but will give them to hubbie.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Good morming and thank you Barbie for starting us off in March! :flowerforyou:

My goal for March is to keep on keeping on with the eating and exercise. Go for a walk with DH.
    Finish typing out my old novel. Start thinking about a cover design.
    Get out into the garden and prepare veggie patch. Prune.
    Go out with DH on a dateday.
    Meet a friend.
    Invite some people to dinner.

We love our lives, but they can become a bit quiet from time to time. I do have to pace myself with activities as I can become overwhelmed if my world is too busy. This is especially true if I am concentrating on my writing, as I am at the moment. Too much fun interferes with that. I hope that the "habit" of writing at a certain time of day will enable me to schedule fun time in as well. It's all in the planning!
    Most importantly
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD.

I suggested by email the other day that the WI, a women's club I belong to, should have a "getting to know you" evening. I made a few suggestions. They have written to me saying they want to talk to me about how to organise it because they think it is a great idea! Hope I haven't landed myself with a lot of responsibility! I really don't want to take it on. :ohwell:

Have a great March!

Love Heather in the UK . Sunny and breezy. Primroses out. Yeah!

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone, and thanks to Barbie for remembering every month! :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: could you get your beautiful wool suit altered to fit? That is, if you want to wear it again.

Michele: I've missed something. Where have you been? Not at home?

Meg: glad you are feeling a bit more upbeat.

The dust is settling (also literally, lol; I haven't been doing much housework). I will not be following my job to the new place of business (several reasons). I will stay with my present employer for a 13-month paid placement period and hope I will find something suitable. I have made enough of a stink about the situation that the behind-closed-doors scheming has been brought out into the light, which is good. I am working until June 1, and then the 13-month period will begin.

Hope we all have a good day. :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia

• MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Happy March everyone.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie :flowerforyou:
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Barbie ~ I like your ideas and think we all need to follow:

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for continuing this thread! Although I don't post much, I do keep up (pretty much!) and love the inspiration. Just got back from my DD (I hope I got the abbreviations down! Could someone please review?!!) who had her third baby. Watched the other two kids and basically ran the house for a week (+ a few projects)! Needless to say, exhausting, but good! Now I have to face the music of going back to the office and catching up. Trying to do some of that today AND get around to cleaning up this house a bit!

CityJaneLondon - I can relate with you about needing to keep my schedule light. There are times when even having fun things on my schedule can stress me out. Realizing this, I try to keep it light while still enjoying the things that I love!

Love the fact that the sun is staying around longer! Makes the cold not feel so bad! I'll take the sun any day!

February was a good month. Lost 8 pounds!

March goals:
    Log every morsel
    Workout 6 days / week
    Mindfully eat
    Praying when craving
    Enjoy the moment & let go of things not important!

Happy March!
    Suzy
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :) Heather, I have finally learned to not make suggestions in many situations because it can result in my being asked to be in charge of implementing them.

:D Cynthia, good luck in your job search...there is a great opportunity waiting for you.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifIt is a beautiful clear morning (still dark) and the dogs are waiting for their second walk.

<3 Barbie
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday ! ! !

I guess last night was my turn to be unable to sleep. Sad too, since DH was at work, so I had the whole bed again. Seemed I had restless legs, which is unusual for me. But every time I just got up, walked slowly around the house, and drank a big glass of water. Today is "hair care" day at our house. I will turn my hair from silver to red. DH gets a buzz job (what little hair he has left) and DS will get the bottom buzzed, and the top shorter and nicer looking (whatever he wants within reason). Today also I take DS and a friend to a town about 25 miles away to practice bowling for H.S. State next weekend.

Janit
    - thanks for the hugs for my job. It was trauma, and not drama, so easier to "let it go", since I know it will not be that way again. I am receptionist at a small private clinic located at Miller Beer. Friday starting at 7:00am we had a walk-in cardiac, positive TB, positive Influenza, positive strep throat, and breast cancer diagnosis for a woman who goes on Medicare next week (her birthday is this Monday), which means she can not come to our clinic anymore. What a terrible Birthday, and terrible position to need to find a new primary care provider. Plus, since the RN supervisor is "tough in any situation", I was the person to hug and cry in the waiting room with many of these patients. A rewarding feeling, but exhausting at the same time.

Jannie - same here with the cell phone. DH has the fancy iPhone, that he leaves in a different room, in the car, ringer and vibrate feature turned off, etc. We no longer have a landline, so there's no way to contact him most times. Frustrating ! ! !

Pam - let's do it. New day, new week, new month, new year. I wrote my starting weight in huge numbers on my bathroom calendar. I know I can do this, even if my vacation starts this Thursday. I am going to exercise and walk as much as possible, and watch the quality of my food intake (which should in turn keep the serving sizes under control, because I will not treat hunger like an emergency). Plus I will do my best to figure out how to use my tablet for this site and tally my steps.

Joyce - lol about the Haunted House. Years ago I was in one at Minnesota State Fair, and a "character" tried to take a cookie out of my bucket. My DD screamed, I laughed, and in the end the zombie got a cookie .

MNMargaret - thanks for sharing the pictures of Dr. Oz. When we lived closer up there, I enjoyed attending the center court events, like Disney and crochet, etc. It's a fun place to hang-out for a day or more.

Thanks, Barbie, for keeping this going. It is truly my obsession, as reading about the good, the bad, and the different attempts at success makes me feel empowered.

Sylvia - my mind about your wedding suit went immediately to a quilt, or quilted pillows, etc. I like to upcycle stuff. I have very fond memories of marrying current DH, so my dress still hangs in the closet. I hope to lose enough weight to wear it again. "First" wedding dress was altered for DD when she was in pageant many years ago (no positive memories for that).

Cynthia - Hugs for your job.

OK, DH will be home soon, so I better get the color on my roots so we can begin the haircuts. I hope you all can make it a good day.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (where we are finally in double digits above zero for a few days)
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

A husband went to the police station to file a missing persons report.

Husband: "I lost my wife, she went shopping hasn't come back yet."

Officer: "What is her height?"

Husband: "Average, I guess."

Officer: "Slim or healthy?"

Husband: "Not slim, but probably healthy."

Officer: "Color of hair?"

Husband: "Changes according to season."

Officer: "What was she wearing?"

Husband: "Not sure, either a dress or a suit."

Officer: "Was she driving?"

Husband: "Yes."

Officer: "Color of the car?"

Husband: "Black Audi A8 with supercharged 3.0 litre V6 engine generating 333 horse power teamed with an eight-speed tiptronic automatic transmission with manual mode. And it has full LED headlights, which use light emitting diodes for all light functions and has a very thin scratch on the front left door..."

:D
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    bump