WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,525 Member
    Beautiful day today. The sun was out in all its glory and DGD went home early afternoon so I got outside for a walk. Then feed the birds, cats & dog. Everybody's happy!! :)

Yes I have ambitious goals. I have made the 100 miles a month for the last 6 months. January & February were the first for the rebounder with weights. I have been at a plateau for way too long so I need to do something to make my jelly belly move... so I am aiming for 20 days over 10,000 steps. Today - 11,244 steps.

I don't know if I could plan meals for a month. DH would have to co-operate - he is the one that is home all day...

Off to bed - work tomorrow....
    Goodnight everyone, take care

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    edited March 2015
    I'm Back thanks for starting again.

I was a slacker on food choices in February, I logged everyday stayed in my calories goals but sit on the couch all month.

MARCH GOALS:

•Journal every day
    •Drink more water and less diet drinks
    •Walk at least 15 minutes twice a day and use my walk away the pounds video's at least 3 times a week.
    •Eat less breads, sweets and fried foods
    •Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables.

Sue in TN
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Mary from MN: This may be your golden opportunity to knit or crochet, or write your first novel. I think it will be very challenging to confine your exercise to three days a week when you’re in the habit of being active every day. We’ll be here to cheer you on. It seems like walking, spinning, or dance would be good on the off days. Are aerobic exercises allowed? If the barbell weighs 45 pounds with no weights on it, that is lifting in my world. Do I understand?

Beth: I’m happy that a wheelchair van is coming your way. Waiting for it has to be hard because it has the potential to make your lives easier. Gym once a week with DS and DH is great.

Kim: You look wonderful and so does the quilt project. Pink is your color!

Lillian: I am so impressed with your goals.

SueTN2: Logging every day and staying within your calorie goals are worthy achievements. Your March goals look positive and achievable.

I just watched the Great British Baking Show on PBS. I’ve never seen anything like it and was charmed by the contestants and the judges. I wasn’t even slightly tempted to eat their beautiful creations.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Kim, I love that quilt. To me it looks like cross stitch pillow cases or dresser runners and then you sew them into the quilting edges or borders or whatever they are called. A lot simpler than piecing together a whole quilt.

Meg, could it be that your daughter is to embarrassed to have you see her living circumstances? I pray that it eventually improves and you can have a good relationship with her or at least a workable one. And to be a Grandma is just so wonderful

Sally did you meet your miles goal for February. I remember you were so close.

Lesley I never hear you talking about your nutritionist/trainer anymore.

It was difficult for me to get up this morning for church also. But 2 weeks ago I didn't feel good and then last Sunday it was cancelled due to the snow and ice. After driving or any kind of trip I usually sleep for a LONG time. When I was first diagnosed and would get so fatigued I slept for 72 hours. I got up and went to the bathroom and would always keep a bottle of water by my bed. I also would get up and eat one meal. But now it's about 18 hours straight. So I knew this morning would be difficult. I do have to apologize to God in that I did not take a shower this morning. And I had the hugest headache, not from no shower! But I went and was glad I did. Our choir director had given me the next trio music last Wednesday night after choir practice and I accidently left it there. It is to be sung Mach 18th so we need to work extra hard on it. But I saw it today so now I am fine. But my part is very low, like as in 'how far can we go' doing the limbo. I don't think I have ever had a part that low, But I can sing tenor pretty well so with practice I know I can get it. With my MS, my sleep/awake circadium or whatever it's called makes my most alert time after 7 PM. So even though I really wanted a nap this afternoon I didn't dare do it. I just know I will feel good in the evening.

Yes, my oldest daughter can make her Daddy do anything. She wanted to be a psychologist an she just has a way of encouraging people and getting the best out of anyone. He has been really hounding me as to where I want to go to supper for my birthday Tuesday. I really think it is because he is anxious to go somewhere special. I told him tonight my inclination is to go to CiCi's pizza. If I went there I would not be on a diet. There are several of their pizzas I really love, the pineapple and ham, spinach alfredo and if they have the cherry desert pizza I like that one. I don't find their 'regular' pizzas are that great. But oh they most the most wonderful brownies and cinnamon sticky buns. I also would start out wit a good salad bar. I think seniors get it for $5.99 and I always get water. So this special meal out would be easy on his diet. But...you can also special a pizza of your choice instead of just getting the pizza bar. And Charlie orders a medium deep dish sausage and onion with extra sauce and eats the whole thing! Plus he gets pasta and sauce. So he would be eating terrible. But he frequently eats terrible. Tonight we went out with friends and he got a chicken taco salad so he did real good tonight.

Janet, I should have put quotation marks around 'old 65'. I do not feel old at all and turning 65 is not going to be bothering me one bit. It's just one day older than I will be tomorrow night. Now my husband at 66 says he does feel old.

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Abbstinator - I will be saying prayers for your son and for you. I say do what ever gets you through but remember that it will be better for him to have a healthy Mom.

Mary - Putting you and your daughter in my prayers. Divorce is so difficult on every one. Most people can benefit from counselling, if they can't work it out perhaps it will make the next step easier.

Barbie - Thanks for keeping us going.

Had the weekend off with plans to accomplish a lot. Didn't get a lot crossed off the list.
    I did make a trip to my hometown (an hour away), visited my parents in the cemetery, shared a meal and conversation with my DB and DSIL. DGD enjoyed playing with "her Madison". 2 and 3, so cute together.
    Today I went on a nice walk with 2 of the grands, had a nice visit with DD and DS. This afternoon we went to "Birdman". It was not my cup of tea. Ate too much popcorn and had a diet pepsi. DH cooked supper. Weiners, beans, quinoa Mac n' Cheese. Now I feel gross.
    Back to work tomorrow and then there is court on Tues.
    March goals - Swim 1/2x week
    - Walk 4x/wk
    - Dance more
    - Strength train 1/2x week
    - Journal
    - Find joy

- Sharon in Alberta
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Katla in beautiful Oregon - I'm still reading up on it and it is different for women. The Olympic barbell without weights is 45 lbs. I have to go to the gym tomorrow to see what they have. I have never been there. I get 1 week free trial. I need to see if they have a cage. Mehdi the instructor, had his girlfriend start with goblet squats with a kettle bell. And adding lighter weight each time. I will have to see what I can do and modify it to work for me. You can't do cardio on your rest days only a half hour is allowed after your 5x5 workout. Lifting heavy uses a lot of energy and your body needs to rebuild. I took pictures and my measurements so will track progress that way! Writing or needle point is a good idea. On Tuesday and Thursday when I usually go swimming with my DSIL I will just relax in the pool or hot tub instead. I might enjoy myself!

Mary from Minnesota

• Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Happy March everyone.
    Terri - I am a receptionist for Physiotherapists at moment, but it used to be the 'out of hours' doctors surgery so sympathise with all the traumas, people needing physio are so much easier!
    - I have started swimming after about a four year break. I managed 12 lengths which I am happy with for a start. Checked at reception and I need to do 64 for a mile, so lot more to do!
    Kim - love the quilt, I am no good at all at anything 'crafty'.
    Janet - I agree about exercise, although my new personal fitness instructor may persuade me to do a bit more :(

Best wishes to all from Gilly, Suffolk, Uk
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,996 Member
    Morning Ladies~
    well we got 6-8 inches of heavy wet snow...bless the DH he did the deck and dog pen, I will do the driveways and we have more snow coming during the week :s
    GodMomKim~I am keeping one music box,my husband bought me as a wedding present,it is a bride and groom..i did do some purging yesterday have a box of stuff that once the weather is better will put out or put on freecycle.. just stuff that we dont use any more.
    we have the new range being installed thursday ,and they will take the old one away.. I did put it on craigslist..but so far not takers..
    Tom got the light and fan in the bathroom working again..do dont have to shower in the dark, Dont worry Michelle I didnt get soap in my eyes lol..
    not going to try and get to my DFIL this morning to much snow to get rid of will go see him in the morning..
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Hi everyone, welcome to March
    I've been comfort eating over the weekend and have now put on about 4lbs :( I've had a health assessment at work this morning and was surprised I'd put on that much but I thought I had gained a bit.

Anyway it's a new day a new months and I WILL do better this month. It was my goal to be 10stone or less by my birthday at the end of March!!!

Sorry I can't stay long to chat, I'm still at work in my lunch hour but know that I am thinking of you all.

Thanks to Barbie for keeping us organised every month.

Viv York UK (we had a short snow storm this morning!) Roll on Spring.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Those who have been here a bit know that I sometimes find a snakeskin in the yard. We are fairly rural and there is a drainage ditch behnd the back fence and the entire area is kind of swampy. Y'all also know that unless I'm surprised by a snake, I don't over react..........don't mind the nonpoisonous ones at all. Wellllllllll.............opened the garage door to take some canned goods out there first thing this am and in a shallow strawberry picking basket there is the end of a snake shed, about 10 inches. ****** IN MY GARAGE ****** within 2ft. of the garage door to the house which DH frequently pulls shut at night without completely closing and in the am it is ajar; this JUST happened Sat. night. Sooooo, I called him on his way to work and first he says it's been there a long time which I know is absolute b.s. so I ask him just where it is to test him and he answers incorrectly (of course). Had to really press the question because we both knew he was just giving me the verbal equivalent of a pat on the head. THEN, he says......"Don't worry, it's still winter.".......I am honestly ready to do something drastic at this point because it may be winter but THIS snake is awake. Not in my house; it's NOT winter in my house!!!! I could scream!! We have three poisonous snakes here: cottonmouths (really nasty), canebrake rattlers, and copperheads.

Taking a very careful shower and leaving the house.
    yanniejannie........not pleased at all

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Katla, I think I borrowed the "now" phrase from Barbie. I would love to live in the now but find myself obsessing over the past and worrying about the future. I have lived my life as a worrier....always thinking of what could happen before the future even comes and feeling rueful about past transgressions. But, I am growing in this knowledge and doing my best.

Kim, your quilt squares are so lovely. I know this will become a beautiful quilt.

Joyce, I know what you mean about the DH in the car. My husband has almost made me not want to drive anywhere with him because he cusses so much. He doesn't do this everywhere (just in the car).

We took son's family out to a Mexican restaurant Saturday night. I had nachos and frozen margaritas (love them). Will try to get back on track today.

I don't keep notes, so can't comment on all the posts. Just want you all to know that I love knowing that we all are encouraging each other in both our diets and daily life.
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    I've been away from MFP for so long and my body feels it. I had quit smoking for a long period of time and started again now, hope to quit permanently. My goal for March is to get back on track and take small steps.

1. Be more conscious of what I eat, eat healthy
    2. Start regular exercise routine
    3. Drink plenty of water
    4. Stop smoking
  • MancLass
    MancLass Posts: 33 Member
    Hi all, I'm just recovering from knee surgery and hoping to combine my exercise and physiotherapy routines. I snapped my anterior cruciate ligament last year falling off an off-road Segway and I had reconstruction therapy 5 weeks ago. Before my accident I did quite a bit of running and swimming, with the odd bike ride and gym session thrown in. I'm already back in the pool and on my exercise bike, so I just need to build up strength and stamina and get my mobility back, lose my limp and shift some pounds! Be good to have some company along the way. My targets for March are:-

1. Log everything
    2. Exercise/physio every day for at least 30 minutes
    3. Eat consciously enjoy it
    4. Lose 4 pounds

Lynda
    Manchester, England
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    I'm having a bad day. I spent most of yesterday afternoon in tears--no definitive reason, just miserable. I had nightmares last night and actually woke myself by yelling out loud, so I'm tired. I was doing pretty well this morning until I came into work with multiple emails scolding me for things I didn't do just right and another email overriding the decision to not do the illegal thing at work. Now, I'm in tears again. I'm so tired of it all. I realize I need to get off my pity pot, but the gumption to move has left me.

I'll try to post again later when I'm feeling better. I just needed to get this out somewhat.

Carol in NC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,817 Member
    {{{Carol}}} ... sending you a hug ...
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Now that's page 1 done

Meg
    Your family day sounded great. The cafe sounds like something different.

Joyce
    Glad you enjoyed the musical. To bad hubby didn't. I cant get mine to come watch grandkids hockey neither. He claims they don't try there best. So be it there kids.
    I still have my wedding dress in my cedar chest it looks like the day I wore it 45 years ago. But i'll never fit in it again.

Suzy
    Great loss

Someone mentioned age. Age as long as you don't care why sould anyone else. It's but a number. Somedays i'm 26 others i'm 102. lol

Hope to be back soon. Had a bad weekend and the scale gave me 1.1 gain. Hopefully I will have that off come Wed.
    Already did 10 min. of balance on the wii. I know it's not much but more than I did all weekend. I can do this because I must.

Linda in Northern Ontario

• DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Hi everyone! I've been logging in everyday but haven't posted in this thread for a while. I'm down a few more pounds and have made lots of progress on my couch to 5k (on week 8).

Hubs and I fly out to see our Army son graduate from Army Medic training this week. He will come home now and serve in National Guard while he is in college. His unit is on the schedule to deploy in 2016 but that changes often. So we won't worry about that until it happens.

March came in like a lion yesterday so we have 6 inches of new snow and are supposed to get freezing rain tonight. I'm sure looking forward to seeing my spring bulbs poke up soon!

Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,064 Member
    edited March 2015
    I have been at my goal weight for awhile now and I just decided to drop a few more just to see how I would feel. I lost a couple more in a week. weighed myself again this morning, they are still gone, lolol. I lowered my calorie intake by a bit and I guess that did it. my husband is doing great too. he is down to size small in clothes. yesterday we went thru his side of the closet and just emptied out the medium and large shirts and bagged them for goodwill. haven't attacked his pants, that's next. I tried on some of my pants, I guess they should go too. I wear bike stuff 5 days a week and I will change into pants that I keep here at work so I don't have to pack more stuff in my bag so it can be some time before I put on "regular clothes". last night a friend of my husbands was passing thru town and we went out to dinner. we put on "regular clothes" and it felt weird, even put normal shoes on that I forgot I had. I don't do goals but maybe that might be it. wear normal clothes on the weekends.lolol

pip in Tacoma wa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,996 Member
    morning again...
    back in from shoveling and snow blowing.. cried for about 1/2 trying to get the damn snow blower going,the drive for the wheels isnt working right so basically had to push it.. while doing the lower driveway fell and slipped and wacked my head on the driveway,slipped on ice.. I am ok.got up and kept moving.. I am just so done with it all..
    Carol~ so sorry you are having a bad day.. I say lets commisurate together...
    I go to work in 2 hours.. I am just having a cup of tea.. then will hop in the shower and get ready for work..... then will come home and get DH lunch ready for tomorrow.. not in the mood to do it now..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,603 Member
    Hugs for you, Carol. :flowerforyou:

Kim - what fab photos! Love that embroidery. I haven't got the patience to do it myself, but I do so appreciate it. As Katla said, that colour on you is perfect and, I've said it before, you have beautiful hair!
    - I'm like you, people think I'm an extrovert, but really I'm not. I need a lot of time alone to recover from social interaction. I too can do the social role, but in small doses.

Whoever asked about the kimchi recipe. - - I am using a book called Real Food Fermentation by Alex Lewin. I made the sauerkraut by following his very detailed instructions and intend to try the kimchi soon. Basically it is an onion, garlic, ginger and chilli paste mixed with brined cabbage and radishes and left to ferment. Apparently it is eaten with every meal in Korea and in 2010, when the cabbage crop failed, the government had to issue decrees to avoid a kimchi crisis! ! ! ! ! ! :laugh:
    As I like both hot and sour things I thought I would try it. :bigsmile:

Today we have curry made from butternut squash, chick peas, broccoli and kale from the garden. All in a garlic, onion, chilli and ginger sauce. Spices are cumin, coriander, fennel, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and mustard seed. I have made enough for three portions so I will have it sgain tomorrow before I rush off to the WI. A portion comes to 270 cals. With 1 oz of brown rice and a serving of raita (yoghurt and cucumber, garlic, scallion ) I am in for a feast at 400 cals, my limit for dinner.

DH has been pruning the fruit bushes and giving them a layer of compost. We had the terrific squalls yesterday with hail that M.A. referred to. Scary! Today is cold, but sunny.

Tomorrow DH is going off to London for football and is having lunch with his elder daughter and coffee with his younger! :love: My DB has invited us over for pizza on Saturday to celebrate my niece's 16th birthday. DH doesn't want to go unless I beg and weep, so, as usual, I will go on the train on my own. :ohwell: He is not keen on my extended family which is large and boisterous. He likes DB and DSIL, but not my DB'S six children and associated partners and children. I like to see them from time to time so I will make the effort.

Love to all. Yoga tomorrow - my "day off". :laugh:

Heather in chilly Hampshire UK
    27681614.png