WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Peachstategal: Barbie has a lot of good ways to talk about things. I’ve learned so much from her!

Carol in NC: Sending good thoughts your way.

Linda in N Ontario: I agree with you about age. I feel younger and healthier now than I have in many years. I’m happier, too. Losing some pounds and getting more exercise has been helpful, but I’ve also had an attitude change. Taking care of my physical and emotional health is my responsibility, and I never really understood that before. I am definitely happier now because I choose to be, even on the difficult days.

Rene’ from the Seattle area: Welcome to a great group.

Cynthia: I am so sorry you were assaulted by a crazy woman. I know you said pushed, but I consider a deliberate unwelcome touch to be assault. If you’re bruised or sore there was damage.

Bkrimpet: Welcome to a great group. The good news is you just have to record what you take in and what you do to exercise. MFP does the math and has some really good systems to help us stay healthy while taking the weight off.

Jolene: I’ll keep your daughter in my prayers. I hope there is some reason that she’s been passing out that is not a serious health problem, such as excitement or pre-wedding jitters.

Cigswisher: I love your quotation. Welcome.

Mary form MN: I lucked into a gym that is full of the 50+ crowd in the mornings, and it is a nice mix of men and women. I don’t think I’d feel all that comfortable in the situation you described, either.

Joyce: Happy Birthday!

DeeDee: I wouldn’t want geese in my yard, either, but I love having them in the river beside my house. Goose poop is gross.

Sylvia: I use Imodium when my digestive system gets out of whack, but it is better at stopping diarrhea than gas. It helps some with gas, too.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC - you can't do the exercises on the smith machine because they want you to work your stabilizing muscles. I have to get my own cage, bench, and weights. After reading up on it even more I read that you can modify it for women. I started to night with the 12.5 lb barbell my DH has and did 5x5 squats with just the single bar, I added 5 lbs to each end and did 22.5lbs for the bench press and the barbell row. Until I get a bench I laid on the floor and my DH handed me the barbell and spotted me. Wednesday I add 5 lbs to the squats and I will do 22.5lbs on the overhead lift and dead lift. At least for now I decided to still do my cardio this week, since the first week you really work on form.

Barbie - do you do any cardio workouts on your rest days between strength training?

Meg from Omaha - I can hardly wait to see a Robin! Enjoy the beautiful weather!

Ames_ks - welcome to this site! You have great goals, good luck!

Joyce - Happy Birthday!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Selena - so glad to hear that your friends daughter is okay!

Mary from Minnesota
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - I am getting a dishwasher tomorrow !!! it has been about 10 years… I am super excited…

Katla – I am a downton fan and found the british baking show and have enjoyed this season… so nice to see a cooking show without yelling or mean-ness; just actually taking care of business, with kindness.

Yanniejannie – I am sitting in CA 3,000 miles away and am creeped out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yuck! I don’t have any suggestions except move out.

Carol – ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) this is just awful! And it is a church and church members who are so awful to you and want to do illegal things… if only folks walked the walk…. I would tell the whole congregation about the illegal activity and call the police/irs/who ever!

Cynthia – that is awful! I am glad the bike is ok, but hope you are!

So ladies, I am exhausted… so I only commented on a few, but read everyone… welcome newbies… As for the quilt, there is a story, one of my clients, Judy, gave me a bag of “stuff” to donate to a charity thrift shop, and I looked at what was in the bag and there were 6 pairs of hand embroidered pillow cases each with hand done crocheted lace trim. So I asked if she was sure I got the right bag.. well her grandmother did the work in the 1940’s and she did not like ironing the pillow cases so were passing them on. So I donated the rest of the bag and have turned 6 of the pillow cases and the lace into the quilt you saw, I will buy the batting and the backing fabric, and my friend (whose house was in the picture) has a long arm commercial quilting machine and she’ll quilt it for me. I make very very few quilts but in the past have hand quilted them, this will be a first. Judy has no idea what I am doing and hope to be able to give it to her in a couple of months when I get it finished.

Thanks for the comments on the pink top and my age, but I am like the rest of you over 50 – I am 56, and in a close up you would see the age! My hair is it’s natural color, my mom at 86 is finally fully grey, and my “grey” is coming in white…so I am just enjoying it. Well a busy day today and tomorrow too…. Got to get some shut eye.

March goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    terri in Milwaukee, I love any kind of animal, am not freaked out by reptiles or snakes at all. My daughter has owned several and I have 'played' with them , well as much as you can play with a snake. I quit playing with her 8 ft boa when it got to heavy. My husband wanted one and the girls bought him a baby snake, can't remember what kind it was maybe a corn snake. My oldest daughter worked at a pet store and we had many animals in our home during the time she was working there. They had an unwritten policy that if anyone had a animal that was orphaned, fell out of a tree, baby bunnies that were orphaned by Mom being killed by a lawnmower, bring them to Harps pet store and some one will nurse them back to health and release them. Any way, back to the story. DD took the baby snake to the store to see what size of mouse it was ready to be fed. When she got home with the baby mouse, the snake had escaped and we couldn't find it in the car. So somewhere in our neighborhood was a snake on the loose. Back to the boa, I was always interested in her sheded skin. I asked my daughter to save one for me if she ever shed it all in one piece. Well she did and I took it to show my sister. I think she must have knocked a hole in the ceiling as high as she jumped. I thought it was beautiful. Oh, the animals we had, loved that time with my girls. The pet store would do a traveling 'show' to local scout groups, or other organizations. So we took, Lucifer 'the boa', her other snake called Jasmine, our dog, and then all of the animals the pet store provided. They all had to be in cages the entire time. But there was a tarantula and reptiles. DD also had a pet tarantula. Jasmine was an escape artist. No telling where you would find her. One time Michelle thought she was gone for good, it had been about a month since she had escaped. Michelle looked in her purse to look or something and there sat Jasmine, sweet as can be. Who knows where she had been to in all that time.

Janet, I have a well organizes tax system. It's called a box. It's in my office and when anything comes that is tax related I just pitch it in! When it comes time for me to do our taxes I just empty it out and sort it. I usually wait until the last week to file since we always have to pay now.

Mary Mn, I don't know if you have face book or not but there are quite a few on line yard sale sites for here. There are free weights, bars, elipticals and many other things listed for sale. Or you just write, in search of and invaribly some one has something to sell that they didn't even know they wanted to sell until some one asked for it

Lesley, do you scrapbook? I think you would love doing a scrap book of Mildred's life. If you don't scrap book a photo montage would be good also

Selena, so glad to here your friends daughter is OK. How scary for all of them. Unfortunately it is common among some people to intentionally do it

Another winter event is supposed to tomorrow night. It will start with heavy rain and then temps drop drastically and 4-6 inches of snow. But I looked at what my daughter will be getting and theirs is 6-10 inches. When we were there last Saturday they still had a lot of their previous snow on the ground

Husband keeps harping me as to where I want to go for a birthday supper. I finally asked him where he would like for me to say that I want to go. He would like a good steak, and somewhere that has a nice desert. I am still toying with CiCi's pizza and not even worrying about diet. I know my stomach has shrink enough that I won't eat as much as I used to. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    Options
    Joyce - HAPPY BIRTHDAY,! ! ! !

Karen - welcome! You will soon get to know us and our individual eccentricities! ! ! I love them all. I have learnt so much about the USA since I have been on this site. I consider myself an expert!

Deedee - good for Noel! Love the golfcart image.

Mary - sorry your gym doesn't have the equipment. I am very interested to hear how you get on. So many people are evangelical about heavy lifting. Take photos of your body changing. Glad you've got a "spotter" at home.

Yanniejannie - I remember you saying you were interested in knowing how I got on with the Skechers. I really liked them. For the car journeys and walking to and fro I didn't bother with the orthotics, but I put them in for a longer walk, say an hour or so. I had no problems then with my feet. I used the ordinary Orthoheels that you can buy in any pharmacy.

Yoga today. DH will drop me off on his way to London. I will walk to the WI tonight. I am going to be very firm about not getting involved in organising the "Getting to Know You" evening. I will just make a few suggestions. I used to do that sort of thing as an amateur leader and then professionally, so with my "perfectionism" it is easy to kick into that mode and spend far too much time and energy getting it right. I definitely don't want to do that. :noway: I've taken the same decision with regard to DH'S 70th birthday party next year. I am largely leaving it to him. I know once I start organising there will be no end to it. I have decided just to let it be how it will be.
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD.
    I'm not even going to give the perfectionism a chance! ! ! !

Heather in damp and chilly Hampshire UK

27681614.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,814 Member
    Options
    Joyce~ Happy Happy Birthday..
    I was soooo whooped yesterday, made it through work ok, was just quiet.. came home,got the DH lunch together and the dogs food for the morning and got my jammies on.. had a cup of vanilla sleepytime and was asleep before 7:30 .I took 3 tylenol last night but still quite sore this morning..
    2-4 inches tonight of snow, rain tomorrow and then heavy snow for thursday am 5-9 inches. Wonderful... this should be real interesting as Lowes is delivering and installing the new range and our new vanity will be drop shipped meaning I have to open the box make sure it is all right and off they go,we do have an appliance dolly ,so will have to use that to get it in the house, So Monday I will be shoveling and snow blowing all morning so that they can get in here..
    I told DH with tears in my eyes that I am sooooooo tired of all this.. and he says I know, so is he,but what can we do?
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in. Went to the ER last night and found I have ANOTHER bowl obstruction. I'm waiting for the surgeon now. Don't know what they will do this time. I'm floating on pain med but it's still agony.

If hubby hadn't insisted I wouldn't have gone. The doc said I wouldn't have another one because he trimmed off the adhesions that caused it.

They didn't restrict my diet beyond the first week.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome, people! So many stories and struggles for us all -- I will try to be more optimistic today although still suffering the effects of this cold virus that has infected Western New York where I live. Is anybody else tired of winter 2015 with all its snow and cold? Hate to wish any part of my life away but a fast forward to April would not be so tragic would it?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    81824br5uyrfrsr.gifMary from Minnesota, every day including the days I do strength training, I walk my dogs for at least three hours and three days a week I go to two hour line dance classes. I meet my friend for a walk rather than a meal and last month averaged over 21,000 steps a day. I don't do any real heavy cardio workouts but I am always seeking an opportunity to be active.

:'( Sylvia, I am sorry t hear that you have more digestive troubles.....sending hugs to you <3

:D I have a friend coming over at 8:30 so I'd better get moving on my dog walking, Thank you for having breakfast with me. I love reading your posts while I eat.

<3 Barbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - How awful! Wishing you all the best for the surgery. :flowerforyou:
    - I will be thinking of you today. : <3
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! The scale was not so nice to me this morning but after chatting on here so much the past few days I was able to say some of the same things to myself that I've said to others. (I was up .2) It will come off...just keep following your plan! DH and I booked Memorial weekend in Moab yesterday and are hoping for a pretty active weekend, I'd like to be down a few more pounds by then for sure! One of the reasons I came back this time around was that the extra pounds were making it harder to be as active as I would like.

Sylvia-such a bummer to have that same issue again! Did they not fix it all with your last surgery? I'm assuming the chili is just a coincidence right?

Kim-love the quilt story...I had to page back through all of the posts to see the actual pictures. She will be amazed I'm sure. I have that kind of stuff tucked away...crocheted doilies, etc...it would be nice to have a way to use them today.

For all of you still having such rough winter weathers...I feel for you. We would have loved a little bit of your snow up in our neck of the woods! DH had a season pass to the local ski area and only got to go twice...it definitely didn't pay for itself this year!

Thanks for all of the motivation yesterday....reading the posts and sharing is a great motivator.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies! Slipped my way into work this morning in the freezing rain. Hubs and I walked laps inside the mall last night. He mentioned he would like to put a weight machine out in the garage. So starting to look on Craigslist, etc.

Sylvia - praying they can help you without more surgery.

Joyce - Happy Birthday!

Jan - Did you find your snake?
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Oh, Sylvia, I am soooooo sorry!!! Will keep you in my thoughts today.

Just reading to get caught up, more later.

yanniejannie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,814 Member
    Options
    Oh Sylvia My goodness not what you need....praying for a speedy recovery...
    cant find my car keys, DH will have a cow...DFIL wanted nothing to do with me, did get his meds into him and off I went.. will be off to work in a minute
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Joyce in Indiana - Happy Birthday ! Thanks for the idea of Facebook for finding weights I never would have thought of that.

Heather - I was just curious about how much time it takes to walk 10000 steps. I know a lot of the ladies on here count there are steps for the day.

Grandmallie - I am sorry that you are experiencing such an awful amount of snow this year! On the other hand we are very excited that we just got 3 inches because we are in a snow drought. At least winter is almost over.

Sylvia - they should have restricted your diet for at least 30 days. My husband had his second bowl obstruction last October. They told him that if you have one you will more than likely have a second and from that one you really need to be careful of what you eat. He really has to restrict vegetables and fruit especially if it is stringy or has a skin like an apple. Scar tissue is the culprit. We are praying for you to have a good recovery.

Bkrimpet - I'm with you! April cannot get here fast enough for me.

Barbie - I can't believe anybody can get that many steps in in one day! I try to be active by doing the cardio DVDs that I have. It is way too icy here to walk, so I am very excited for spring.

Diana loves coffee - sorry to hear about you sleeping this morning. Hope you are okay!

Well, we got about 3 inches of much needed snow last night. The farmers needed for the soil. Hopefully the roads are good so I can go swimming and hot tubbing today! I really enjoy getting out and doing something that is summer like! Everyone have a great day!

Mary from Minnesota

• fanncy0626
    Options
    Diana loves coffee - I meant to say slipping on the ice! You can really get hurt by that and pull muscles in your body and not feel it until the next day! Sleeping on the other hand is a very good thing.

Mary from Minnesota

• SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just for today..

1. Walk at least 20 minutes
    2. No diet drinks
    3. No sweets

I need to make some changes from my February couch sitting BLAHS..

"ONE DAY AT A TIME"
    Sue in TN
  • clgswisher
    clgswisher Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good morning my fellow 50+'s --- lets all get moving today, eat well, stay positive, and do our best to be great role models for those lovely young women who think "older" won't happen to them!!! (Yes, admit it, we were all one of those once.) Have a wonderful and blessed day!! :D
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: I agree about the British Baking show. Everyone was kind and encouraging and it was a delight to see. Congratulations on your new dishwasher. Today is the day! Your friend will likely be delighted with the quilt you’re making from her heirlooms. If not, I hope you’ll keep and enjoy it.

Joyce: Happy Birthday!

Heather: It sounds like you have a good understanding of your tendency to perfectionism and have a good plan for keeping yourself it a better place. I hope people won’t badger you.

Alison: Can you buy or borrow a snow-blower? This is getting to be insanely hard work for you. If your goal was lifting heavy, you’d be halfway to professional levels.

Sylvia: Sending prayers your way. Another bowel obstruction seems totally unfair. Is it near the spot where they removed the previous one?

Mary from MN: The mountains in Western Oregon and Washington are also in snow drought situations. This will be a challenging summer if we don’t get some spring snows in the mountains. It has been remarkably warm all winter.

I am going to Zumba with my neighbor this morning. I’ll be using a stationary bike in the spinning room that is right next to where she’ll be dancing, and I’ll spin to the music. I think this will be a huge improvement for me and I’ll still be supporting her.

I haven’t been sleeping well this week and had an ah-ha moment as I checked my watch for the millionth time in the night. I’m drinking too much coffee. Time to cut down. I’ve had two cups this morning and that is plenty.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png