Does 5KM of walking do anything?

So I've been doing dailywalks of 5km with a general km pace of 12:40. Is this helping me? I can't afford a gym membership so this is the only exercise I'm getting at the moment. I just need help. LOL

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Yep. I love walking. All I am doing exercise-wise is walking and yoga and I'm losing weight just fine.

If you want to add other stuff, check out YouTube. There is a wealth of stuff available, all for lovely free!! And you can do it in the comfort of your own home :).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Walking is great ...10,000 steps across the day (5 miles) earns me 350-450 calories above sedentary dependent on activity level

I use a fitbit zip every day to keep me motivated to move
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Also if you can't get to a gym you can do something like this at home http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited March 2015
    Any kind of exercise/movement is good, but just because you do not have a gym does not mean you are limited to only walking. Check out youtube for free exercise videos.
    If you have a bit of money to spend, try hot yoga. I thought I used to hate yoga. Did a few dvd's of it, and had a couple dance classes that did a half hour of yoga at the end and always disliked it. Went to Hot yoga and really really enjoyed it. I got 1-2 times a week now and it's the exercise I do when I don't feel like doing anything. It's a good workout, I feel like I've done a whole body weight lifting session the next day as my muscles have that stiff/worked out feeling. It can be on the expensive side, but it's really great.
  • Thanks everyone!! I might try to up my distance and do 7km every day and try to lower that time! I can't afford any kind of pedometer, and can't seem to find a good free one in my app store. Slow and steady wins the race I suppose!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,178 Member
    What phone do you have?
    Breeze or Moves (iphone);
    Pacer pedometer or Moves (android);
    endomondo or pedometer master (windows mobile);
    noom walk or treadit pedometer (blackberry)
    ?
  • I have an android. I'm currently using map my walk, map my fitness and Google fit.
  • caryb2015
    caryb2015 Posts: 38 Member
    Thanks everyone!! I might try to up my distance and do 7km every day and try to lower that time! I can't afford any kind of pedometer, and can't seem to find a good free one in my app store. Slow and steady wins the race I suppose!

On Android, free app called My Tracks.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Walking is great ...10,000 steps across the day (5 miles) earns me 350-450 calories above sedentary dependent on activity level

I use a fitbit zip every day to keep me motivated to move

I do the same. For me, it meant I lost eating an "easy" ~1700 vs. a "difficult" 1200. I'll move my butt for MORE, thankyouverymuch <3

I have a Samsung, so I used the built in "S Health" app with great success for many months while I saved up for my Fitbit Zip. If you don't have a Samsung, get some recommendations from others here for good phone pedometer apps.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Well, it's not very much activity, but it is a respectable start.

I'm guessing that is around 6000 steps...so keep working up until you are closer to 10,000.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    As long as it feels brisk, walking can help you meet the heart-healthy AHA recommendation of 150 min per week of moderate cardio exercise. It's a great starting point! Soon, that pace won't feel brisk, and you'll need to speed up or go longer for the same effect. :)

In any event, it burns calories, allowing you to eat more!

(Note, lack of a gym doesn't rule out strength training! There are many bodyweight exercises. Strength training on a deficit doesn't bulk you up--it rather helps ensures that most of your lost weight is fat and not muscle. Something to keep in mind, perhaps as your next step.)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    So I've been doing dailywalks of 5km with a general km pace of 12:40. Is this helping me?

Yes
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Sometimes I walk the long way around to buy butter and milk. It is a 7km loop that way. Burns of lots of calories and keeps me relaxed.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    yes, burns calories and fat, continue to monitor your food though. you get fit in the gym but you get thin in the kitchen.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Walking is great exercise. 10k steps a day is fantastic. Time to purchase a FitBit to track the steps you take in a day, you will be surprised.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Most of my exercise is walking. I walk about 4.5 km before work most days, and another 1 during my lunch break. That, plus the walking I do at work usually gets me close to my goal of 14000 a day. When you walk, make sure you are pushing yourself enough to get your heart rate up.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Is it just me or does it seem like all threads are just an opportunity for people to talk about themselves?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    It doesn't matter much how you acquire and maintain your deficit.

Every calorie counts.

Every step counts.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does it seem like all threads are just an opportunity for people to talk about themselves?

That's uhh ... kinda the point, right?
  • FemaleWarriorxo
    FemaleWarriorxo Posts: 222 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    In a way it is.. Its basically people sharing their knowledge and how they can help : p
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    getting two dogs was the best decision ever for me! got me moving again. We go for two long walks a day...between 8km-10km total each day. I use an app that logs your distance and donates to your animal charity of choice. It's not a lot of money...but I figure it's something I'm doing anyways. Walking and yoga are really my only forms of exercise right now (on medical instructions...dying to get back to heavier cardio/strength training)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    So I've been doing dailywalks of 5km with a general km pace of 12:40. Is this helping me? I can't afford a gym membership so this is the only exercise I'm getting at the moment. I just need help. LOL

It burns about a calorie per pound of body weight. It won't create a big deficit or anything like that, but getting up and moving is almost always better for you than not.

:drinker:
  • Thunaer
    Thunaer Posts: 21
    I also do a lot of walking. About 5-7 km per day, 7-8 kilometers per hour. It helps me burn calories, clear my thoughts and I also get some good ideas for work/studies while walking.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Walking is great mentally & physically. You might want to eventually look into joining a walking group in your area and get in a longer walk every week. I belong to a few in my area that hold anywhere from 5k to 52k walks.
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited March 2015
    Absolutely walking can make a huge difference. :) I lost my 40 pounds just from walking 2 hours 5 days a week (6.3 miles in total per day). Unfortunately my body has gotten use to the walking routine since I was doing it for 6 months, so it doesn't burn as many calories and it takes longer to lose a pound. I think around 30 pounds it started to really slow down, so I added some jogging to my routine and that helped a lot. :) But now I do the elliptical for a hour since it burns a lot more than walking and in less time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Exercise is great for your health, so of course it's doing something. Additionally, it helps the deficit, as weight loss, is all about the deficit.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    If you can walk 5k you could slowly build up to running it using the couch to 5k app. Not sure if that's something you are interested in doing but it would be a great personal challenge for you. If you want to stay with walking make sure you are walking fast enough to get a bit out of breath (for improved fitness). I think a daily walk (of any speed) is a brilliant way to relax and get fresh air. Keep it up!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited March 2015

For me the way I see it is it's an hour where your not sitting still watching tv or watching cat videos on you tube.

As long as you don't have a bung knee it can't really hurt you to walk.

Not sure about you but I would find that pace a little slow/easy. Probably best to go at a pace were your a bit out of breath, where you can't carry on a normal conversation :p

Maybe that's where your at already

• captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Walking is a gateway drug! You start walking and see the benefits - for me increased mood, general outlook on life, wow- I can eat a little more! - and bam! You're doing zumba at home, you're trying the "power abs" in home walk someone showed on YouTube. Then you see all the thoughts on strength training and you borrow a resistance band... And it goes on! You meet your neighbors, everyone recognizes you....

I'm sick today (and for the last 2 days....) and really miss my walk. It's an amazing stimulant.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I love walking I built up from doing a half mile to one mile to 3.5 to 10 then 13 miles! Its a great feeling and after about 2 months my body realky started to change! I had to pace myself not to walk too fast and stretch before your legs and ankles to prevent injury. Add on a half mile each time and create a walk schedule alternating short walk and long walk days and if you change up your pace from warm up to brisk to cool down you will definitely see a better fat burn zone which is about 20 to 30 min into the walk! And mentally very mood affecting:)