Bringing your food to family reunion?

Options

Replies

• pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Did you guys read what she wrote? She eats a ton of carbs and her family is like "omg you're eating carbs?" She said they don't really talk to her except to make jokes I guess. The nutritionist probably believes in eating "balanced" diets and probably doesn't track calories so she doesn't get it. Not all nutritionists actually know the info that people on here do.

You don't sound like you have an eating problem to me. It sounds like your family is full of jerks. I say don't go if it's not too late to say so. Maybe they will miss you and treat you better if you hang around less.

Yep, we read what she wrote. It doesn't make it what is actually the case (maybe her family aren't nice, perhaps they are 'jerks', as you call them, but maybe they're just fine, and her emotional connection to food is screwed up and they're just trying to nudge her towards healthier habits, even if it's not in a helpful way) - like us, you're reading between the lines and guessing, too. I don't think cutting your family off over food is the answer - at the very least, this lady should have a chat with them about how their behaviour is making her feel, and then they can explain their reasoning for doing so.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    Did you guys read what she wrote? She eats a ton of carbs and her family is like "omg you're eating carbs?" She said they don't really talk to her except to make jokes I guess. The nutritionist probably believes in eating "balanced" diets and probably doesn't track calories so she doesn't get it. Not all nutritionists actually know the info that people on here do.

You don't sound like you have an eating problem to me. It sounds like your family is full of jerks. I say don't go if it's not too late to say so. Maybe they will miss you and treat you better if you hang around less.

Yes, I did read what she wrote.

And I'd much rather tell someone that it *possibly* reads as if they have disordered thoughts about eating as opposed to enabling someone to keep up with those thoughts and tell them that their family are jerks who she should distance herself from.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mikkielias wrote: »
    Hey, so tomorrow I have a family reunion, it is supposed to be a lunch and I´m not sure on what they going to serve. But it´s provably going to be pasta, some kind of ravioli with a walnut sauce or a tomato one. I have been very careful with my diet and hitting my macros. I already planed my day for tomorrow and I don't want to ruin it. I don't know if I should just skip this reunion (because my family doesn't support me on my goals, they always make fun of me and my diet and think that I only eat salads (*kitten* please! I almost eat 230 grams of carbs a day!) or should I just pack my lunch and bring it with me?
    Thoughts on this?

If you eat 230g of carbs a day, I'm surprised you can't just work pasta for lunch into your macros? That being said it depends on whether you're really bothered about attending the reunion in the first place?

Exactly, I'd have thought some pasta and tomato sauce would be perfect for hitting that carb target.

If that's you in your profile pic, I'm not sure why you're worried about 1 day. Unless you really don't want to see your family, in which case don't go.

well maybe its also because of that, my family kind of leaves me a side in those reunions, they don't even speak to me and when they serve lunch and the food plates even if I eat what they are all eating they all start making jokes like: can't believe you are eating carbs, or: are you going to puke that later? or ¨miracle just happened¨Ï bet because of this food you won't eat any more during the day¨ those kind of jokes hurt me

They also make comments about her puking up her food...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Hey, so tomorrow I have a family reunion, it is supposed to be a lunch and I´m not sure on what they going to serve. But it´s provably going to be pasta, some kind of ravioli with a walnut sauce or a tomato one. I have been very careful with my diet and hitting my macros. I already planed my day for tomorrow and I don't want to ruin it. I don't know if I should just skip this reunion (because my family doesn't support me on my goals, they always make fun of me and my diet and think that I only eat salads (*kitten* please! I almost eat 230 grams of carbs a day!) or should I just pack my lunch and bring it with me?
    Thoughts on this?

If you eat 230g of carbs a day, I'm surprised you can't just work pasta for lunch into your macros? That being said it depends on whether you're really bothered about attending the reunion in the first place?

Exactly, I'd have thought some pasta and tomato sauce would be perfect for hitting that carb target.

If that's you in your profile pic, I'm not sure why you're worried about 1 day. Unless you really don't want to see your family, in which case don't go.

well maybe its also because of that, my family kind of leaves me a side in those reunions, they don't even speak to me and when they serve lunch and the food plates even if I eat what they are all eating they all start making jokes like: can't believe you are eating carbs, or: are you going to puke that later? or ¨miracle just happened¨Ï bet because of this food you won't eat any more during the day¨ those kind of jokes hurt me

Yes, read what she wrote, and it sounds like there is a whole lot missing from the story. Many times people will make jokes when a topic is uncomfortable and they aren't sure how to discuss it. So yes sounds like there may be history here that we are unaware of.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yeah but she's never puked up her food? She said she just eats healthy and said nothing about puking up food other than her family joking about it - leading me to believe she's never done that...

According to the info given, her family is definitely mean.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    The whole situations (from all sides) sounds sad and toxic.

It's all toxic--just break up already...with either your Tupperware or your family. IDK, too much vital information missing. It's all sucky from every angle.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Yeah but she's never puked up her food? She said she just eats healthy and said nothing about puking up food other than her family joking about it - leading me to believe she's never done that...

No you are assuming that
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

That's your opinion, but I would be pretty worried if my family made jokes about me puking up if it was totally unsubstantiated....
  • monikker
    Options
    Just cause your family doesn't get it doesn't mean she has a problem. I had a weird period of time where I was really anemic and my appetite was gone for at least half a year. It was frustrating, and my sis was like, "Are you sure you're not controlling your food cause you feel this is the one thing you can control?" Like I was starving myself on purpose...I would never do an ED type thing like that. But family can get all worried about stuff. With OP going out for frozen yogurt and heavy pasta later and admitting to 230 g carbs I really don't think she has a problem...most people who have some type of ED issue would not do those things, lol. Family doesn't deserve your company if they don't appreciate or respect it. Talking to them about it may be a good idea though.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Once upon a time, I would have said my parents were mean and were hell bent on making my life difficult.

If you asked them, they would have told you they were looking out for me and trying to stop me causing myself harm.

Now I am in a better place, I would agree with them.

Sometimes, a story is not exactly how it sounds. Even if it is not the tellers intention. I am not suggesting that is definitely the case here, just that it's best to err on the side of caution.
  • monikker
    Options
    If she did have past issues with eating such as a history with puking, why on Earth would her family say things like are you gonna puke that later?? That's more mean than saying that if she doesn't have a problem!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    If she did have past issues with eating such as a history with puking, why on Earth would her family say things like are you gonna puke that later?? That's more mean than saying that if she doesn't have a problem!

No it could be a way for them to get their concern out over an uncomfortable situation. But again not enough information to continue this.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a baby shower today, and I know they'll have a ton of food. Yesterday was an "unhealthy" day for me. I will be bringing a protein drink in a non-conspicuous bottle, and will partake in a veggie tray of its there.

I've had breakfast, lunch, and a snack. This was a last minute invite. Had I known sooner, I'd skipped lunch. But I'm not going to blow my planned day with pigs in blankets and sausage balls and such.

Providing you meat your nutrient goals regularly, your relationship with food is healthy, and you do know it's okay to splurge now and again, i see no issue with bringing food. When others comment, remind yourself (and them if need be) that you are doing this for you, not them. Good luck!
  • monikker
    Options

Presumably there is more to the story than you're letting on if your family hint at you having disordered eating habits?

not really, I just like eating healthy, they don't get it maybe because none of them (except for my mother) eats like I do. They even make a family drama if I prefer to skip dessert. Even my cousin who is a nutritionist starts to tell me I shouldn't be that dedicated with my diet <- are you serious?¡
    - I don't get it in general why people worry much about what others rather eat or not.[/quote]
  • mikkielias
    Options
    i don't think

No it could be a way for them to get their concern out over an uncomfortable situation. But again not enough information to continue this.

Like seriously, I think they don't get healthy eating because even when Im around them and get hungry and eat a fruit or some whole grain cereal they start to tease me and make jokes about it, is funny because I know that if I was eating a chocolate bar or some cookies they wouldn't even blink an eye.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    From way out here, it sounds like you might come off as a bit annoyingly obsessive about it....and also that your family are kind of jerky to you about it.

If you don't feel like dealing with your family, don't go. The fact that this lunch is more on your list for cancellation than fro-yo with some buds? Speaks volumes.

If you do want to go, eat a small plate of whatever you find "heavy," and nosh on some veg. (They'll serve salad with the pasta too, right?) If you get flack, say, "I'm going out with BF for a pasta feast tonight and don't want to spoil my appetite." Don't mention your macros, etc, nobody wants to hear it. Saving room for a dinner out will make sense to them and is not even inaccurate.
  • mikkielias
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    From way out here, it sounds like you might come off as a bit annoyingly obsessive about it....and also that your family are kind of jerky to you about it.

If you don't feel like dealing with your family, don't go. The fact that this lunch is more on your list for cancellation than fro-yo with some buds? Speaks volumes.

If you do want to go, eat a small plate of whatever you find "heavy," and nosh on some veg. (They'll serve salad with the pasta too, right?) If you get flack, say, "I'm going out with BF for a pasta feast tonight and don't want to spoil my appetite." Don't mention your macros, etc, nobody wants to hear it. Saving room for a dinner out will make sense to them and is not even inaccurate.

at least my friends are more supportive on my goals than my actual family, they always encourage me to keep training and eat the healthiest possible, Im bringing my food scale with me with them and they are more than ok with it because they support me and my decisions. On the other hand my family is always bringing up this theme to try to put me down, they don't even talk to me about anything else in those reunions, so I would go and feel awkward, and then attacked by their jokes, I just don't get it... why can't they support my goals and move on and even talk to me about something else?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The choices I see are:
    1. Go and bring a dish to share. Don't bring a container of food just for yourself.
    2. Go and quietly eat from whatever dishes are provided and ignore/laugh off comments about your eating. Practice changing the subject.
    3. Don't go if you really don't enjoy being around your family. If people are mean to you or ignore you then you do not have to suffer through an event just because you are related.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

at least my friends are more supportive on my goals than my actual family, they always encourage me to keep training and eat the healthiest possible, Im bringing my food scale with me with them and they are more than ok with it because they support me and my decisions. On the other hand my family is always bringing up this theme to try to put me down, they don't even talk to me about anything else in those reunions, so I would go and feel awkward, and then attacked by their jokes, I just don't get it... why can't they support my goals and move on and even talk to me about something else?

You are going out with your bf and friends tonight to a restaurant and you are bringing your food scale? Blindly supporting obsessive behavior is not good
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would just bring my own food because i do not think my family would care that much or even really notice haha