Too Cold To Get To The Gym! Best of Your Favorite Free Online Exercise Videos-30minutes or under

Options

Replies

• jenfran89
    jenfran89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do all my workouts at home, why waste time going to the gym when you can use online videos and get it all in at home, and use travelling time as workout time? As quite a few people have said, fitnessblender is amazing, definately the best free videos out there
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP: it seems like many people go anyway and encourage you to do so too. Most of the posts doing that have been friendly as far as I can see and I hope you don't take any more scathing posts to heart.

I go *because* it's too cold to run outside. That said I do like at home workouts too. Push yourself to go if you can, but there are loads of good ideas here to take inspiration from. Remember that it's not where you workout that counts, it's how good it feels. :smile:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    OP drive to the gym yet? Maybe all of a certain poster's anger directed at everyone will help her stay warm in those frigid >0F days.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JenMaselli wrote: »
    I absolutely cannot believe how rude people are in this thread. OP simply asked for online workout recs. If you don't have a recommendation to give then don't post anything. Jesus H. Effing Christ on a cracker.

so telling her to get up, put on coat, get in heated car, and go to gym is not a recommendation?

just because you don't like the recommendation does not invalidate it….

What if op doesn't have a car

she obviously already belongs to a gym ..so then the revised recommendation would be to use her normal method of getting to the gym and go ….
  • sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Do not be discouraged. I don't have access to a gym. Even if I did my health does not allow me to go out in extreme temps, either hot or cold. So, I use videos and what I have learned when I had or. Good for you for doing something.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. It is not easy to get to a gym during the snow storm. Get a treadmill and watch a movie while walking uphill.
  • onelonelysocknoble
    onelonelysocknoble Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oooh this thread got me angry, so much hating for saying it's too cold to go outside!
    Like OP I skipped the gym because of cold.
    I skipped it for for two weeks recently as cycling to the gym was giving me frostbite through my snowboots.
    And no I can't drive, the government won't let me, and frankly you should be effing glad they won't allow it.
    I know there's public transport but I'd rather spend that hour of travelling working out at home.
    I don't know OP 's situation but seriously, some people should stop and think for a second!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,208 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So, these two Community Guidelines are still a thing here on MyFitnessPal:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

If you had a post removed it was either in violation of one of these two guidelines or quoted one that was in violation. So really:

51325521.jpg

Cheers y'all,
    davis_em
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Oooh this thread got me angry, so much hating for saying it's too cold to go outside!
    I skipped it for for two weeks recently as cycling to the gym was giving me frostbite through my snowboots.
    And no I can't drive, the government won't let me, and frankly you should be effing glad they won't allow it.
    I know there's public transport but I'd rather spend that hour of travelling working out at home.
    I don't know OP 's situation but seriously, some people should stop and think for a second!

Not being rude, but how do you get to work? Surely people can't phone in and say they're not coming to work as it's too cold.

I live in England, so we don't get extremes of temperature, but I'd have thought if you live somewhere that gets extremely cold/hot, you must get used to it and find ways to cope with it.

On the rare occasion it snows a lot here, everything seems to fall apart...the trains stop running, traffic is at a standstill etc...as we're not prepared for it. I live a mile from my gym and last time we had bad snow my friend picked me up in her 4x4 (I'm not sure my car would've made it) and drove us there. It took about 40 mins to drive that mile! But we still made the effort.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Not being rude, but how do you get to work? Surely people can't phone in and say they're not coming to work as it's too cold.

I live in England, so we don't get extremes of temperature, but I'd have thought if you live somewhere that gets extremely cold/hot, you must get used to it and find ways to cope with it.

On the rare occasion it snows a lot here, everything seems to fall apart...the trains stop running, traffic is at a standstill etc...as we're not prepared for it. I live a mile from my gym and last time we had bad snow my friend picked me up in her 4x4 (I'm not sure my car would've made it) and drove us there. It took about 40 mins to drive that mile! But we still made the effort.

Telecommuting can be quite common in some areas of the US and especially in certain industries like insurance and technical writing.

I have an MFP friend who works in health insurance from home. And I shared a building with one of the largest health insurance companies in the US, a large chunk of their employees worked from home at least part of the week if not full time.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Telecommuting can be quite common in some areas of the US and especially in certain industries like insurance and technical writing.

I have an MFP friend who works in health insurance from home. And I shared a building with one of the largest health insurance companies in the US, a large chunk of their employees worked from home at least part of the week if not full time.

I suppose that makes sense. It would be pretty dangerous to risk driving in bad conditions when you don't need to (our mile to the gym wasn't dangerous lol).

I'm a teacher so can't work from home. One of my MFP friends in the US is often saying her kids have a snow day. I think I work in the wrong country :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I use workout videos off of you tube all the time. I like Jessica Smith, Leslie Sansone, some from Sparkpeople and random others. Just do a search on you tube for whatever type of workout you are interested in doing and you will likely find some there.

Have fun!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Google Jennifer Galardi standing abs workout. I love it and it is only ten minutes
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Frostbite through your shoes is a valid reason not to go to the gym, if ever I heard one! I can't drive either so it would be a pain if our gym wasn't within walking distance.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Wow...some of these responses are brutal!

I would think having an easily-accessible ALTERNATIVE to the gym would be a great idea! :D For days that your sick, or you dont have as much time, I think it is great to have a plan to do right at home.
  • dbmata
    Options

I make video games, I telecommute.

That said, I've never said it was too cold to do anything, including camping, hot tubbing, or doing my taxes.

Go to the gym.
  • dbmata
    Options

Frostbite through your shoes is a valid reason not to go to the gym, if ever I heard one! I can't drive either so it would be a pain if our gym wasn't within walking distance.

lol, I'd get better shoes. Frostbite through snowboots in a populated area? Sometimes you actually have to invest in gear to get performance.
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at the title of her post and the body of her message. I think she was just trying to be friendly in having suggestions from the community for work outs at home, should some of us for whatever reason are not able to get to the gym.