Share with me what you put in your oatmeal!

Options
Title's pretty self explanatory. ;) I started out with just a little brown sugar and berries, but now that's borning and i've moved on to canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. This will get old probably fairly soon because I eat oatmeal about 3 days a week for breakfast, so please share with me what you put in your oatmeal for new ideas :):flowerforyou:

Replies

• LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    baby food. mostly because my baby boy won't eat it any more. but i might keep buying the stuff - it's easier to store than fresh fruits and vegetables, and lasts longer if i don't feel like oatmeal for a week.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty boring. Usually vanilla protein powder, PLUS blueberries or strawberries OR Cinnamon

If I'm feeling really naughty, I'll leave out the fruit and sprinkle with semi-sweet chocolate chips!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Actually, Partly because of this issue, I switched to eating Oat Bran mixed into some non-fat flavored yogurt.

Then, you can have any flavor the store sells, you still get non-fat and the nutrition from the oats, and it tastes much better IMO, but I don't like Oatmeal without LOTS of other stuff in it, ie Brown Sugar.
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    dried cranberries and slivered almonds! Yum! :tongue:
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    LOVE oatmeal. Here are some of my favorites ways:

- stir in 1 tbsp of peanut butter
    - top with a few walnuts and 1 tbsp maple syrup
    - blend a cup of mixed berries with stevia, stir in
    - 2 tbsp of craisins and 1 tbsp of thick, non-fat Greek yogurt
    - 1 tbsp honey and 1 tbsp of slivered almonds
    - Cocoa powder and stevia
    - half an apple cut into chunks, cinnamon, I can't believe it's not butter spray, and just a couple crushed walnuts
    - mashed bananas
    - a dash of ground ginger, allspice, and nutmeg
  • NewDawn31
    NewDawn31 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and Banana slices is always good. They make a ton of freeze-dried (or also, dehydrated) fruit that is great to toss in with it. Freeze-dried Strawberries and Bananas, Cinnamon Apples, etc...Dehydrated cherries, with vanilla extract, or dried apricots with cinnamon and nutmeg. A little sugar-free, lo-cal preserves goes a long way to adding flavor as well.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    Hot sauce - Tapatio brand, in particular.

Stop laughing. Don't knock it until you try it!
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    Nothing. I like it plain. Sometimes, if i have a sweet tooth, I will add cane sugar or cream.
  • tonicia
    tonicia Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I used to use plain whole oats....pour in my coconut juice (with pulp added...and sugar added I believe too, but very filling and super tasty on itsown as well) and pop in into the microwave. Made it taste super sweet and unique tasting. Loved it!! Very filling as well.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I put 1 tbsp peanut butter and 1 tsp raw sugar per 1/2 cup oatmeal.

I also like, cottage cheese w/ oatmeal (sounds weird, i know), but haven't had that in a while
  • everythingispossible
    Options
    This is a fun question!! I eat oatmeal just about every morning for breakfast, I love it :)

My favorite things to put in it are bananas (either mashed or sliced) and peanut butter. You can also try:

raisins & other dried fruit
    shredded coconut
    honey or agave
    almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc (chopped)
    cinnamon + apples
    yogurt
    peanut butter + jam
    granola
    applesauce
    kiwi slices
  • elizwelshman
    elizwelshman Posts: 136
    Options
    I usually just use the fruits natural sugar to flavor the oatmeal.
    Been on this huge banana kick!! I use Quaker rolled oats, a serving size, cook it with only water. I mash up two medium size bananas (they need to be pretty ripe, not all cutesy and yellow, lol) and let them cook with in the oatmeal. Sounds plain, but I like it.
    Lasts months oatmeal kicks were a thinly sliced apple, a small pinch of cinnamon, and 1/4 cup of dried cranberries. I also did strawberries, cooked them with the oatmeal, and did a small dollop of cream.
    If they had peaches where I am located right now (fresh peaches Mmmm), I would be in oatmeal heaven. Home made peaches and cream is always better than packaged.
    Yummy :smile:
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Sounds crazy, but I eat cold steel cut oatmeal with chocolate soy milk and berries. Surprisingly yummy.
  • SavageDem
    SavageDem Posts: 3
    Options
    Oatmeal! Now there's something I need to eat more of to spice up my breakfast! When I *do* eat it, I like walnuts, raisins, and brown sugar. But it's great to see all these other new ideas!
  • elizwelshman
    elizwelshman Posts: 136
    Options
    Hot sauce - Tapatio brand, in particular.

Stop laughing. Don't knock it until you try it!

Going to try it just because it sounds interesting. I love hot sauce on my eggs, a good kick in the morning!! Oatmeal... why not? :smile:
  • k9inular
    k9inular Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Flaxseed with blueberries - 2tlbs, 3 walnuts and 2packets of Stevia.
  • tmontgomery69
    tmontgomery69 Posts: 180
    Options
    Bump

I've been looking for new ideas for oatmeal too! Thanks
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My great-grandmother always made it for us with a bit of honey, a scoop of powdered creamer and butter. Its the only way I'll eat it...you should try it though. Its so good you'll slap your momma!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I mix 1tsp. of brown sugar with splenda, stir in, pour skim milk over and yummm... just like childhood. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll saute some strawberries, raspberries, banana, and apple slices on the stove over low heat with a bit of splenda to sweeten until it becomes a nice little fruit reduction. I stir 1/2 or 1/4c. of flavoured yoghurt into my oatmeal and top with the berry concoction. Very satisfying.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    3 tsp of raw turbinado sugar, a Tbsp of slivered almonds, and a Tbsp of chopped walnuts. Mmmm...my favorite way to have it so far. I bring it all to work, cook the oatmeal in the microwave with some water then throw in the toppings, stir, and enjoy :)