Replies

• Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated fat
    +1

Should be labeled "crap that your body will instantly put into fat storage". Also high fructose corn syrup.

Yep. These right here. 95% of my food comes from the veg/fruit dept and the meat dept. Not necessary to read labels there
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    transfats, things made in a factory with peanuts/near peanuts/were somewhat peanut adjacent, things containing bananas (I have a food allergies kid)

for me- i dont eat meat, so no meat. ;)
  • SarenaWM
    SarenaWM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    All meat besides chicken/turkey and seafood. Hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup for obvious reasons. Aspartame because it's always given me killer headaches. Rennet because it's from calf stomach and I'm not about that life.

Oh, and castoreum. Because, beaver butts.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I have food allergies to dairy and soy and I am gluten intolerant, so those are automatic put backs. I also avoid artificial sweeteners, hydrogenated oils, HFCS, MSG, "natural flavoring or natural spices" (other names that the FDA has allowed to be used for MSG) nitrites/nitrates, sulfates, corn (almost all corn is gmo) anything that is GMO, and preservatives.....I am currently trying to cut sugar out so I avoid things with more than 4 grams of sugar. It's really hard to get all the toxic crap out of our diets when they keep coming up with new allowable names for things. My allow list is shorter than my won't allow list and I have yet to find a good protein bar that is dairy free, soy free, gluten free and doesn't have any of the no no's in it.

I agree!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    nono706 wrote: »
    Food dyes make me feel yucky, and agave is in a lot of "health" foods, which is really too bad. Yuck.

I don't know much about Agave....can someone fill me in that's in the know? Thanks!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners. Can't stand the taste, and I know I won't like them no matter what.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    And, nothing can be said that makes it taste OK. Wretched stuff.

I am SO with you there! I loathe the taste of stevia.

• wizzybeth
    Options

I read that the McDonalds McRib sandwich has 70 ingredients. Yuck!

McRib is VILE, I tell you...vile. I got one thinking it would be good. I took a bite - and could not even swallow it. I spit it back in the bag, and into the trash it went. It was the most horrid thing I have ever gotten at any fast food place - maybe even the most horrid thing of all time, probably even worse than the soy egg nog I tried a couple years ago.

• wizzybeth
    Options
    nono706 wrote: »
    Food dyes make me feel yucky, and agave is in a lot of "health" foods, which is really too bad. Yuck.

I don't know much about Agave....can someone fill me in that's in the know? Thanks!

It's a syrup made from a plant. It is Ok tasting..reminds me of light Karo corn syrup in taste. It's no different than sugar though...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    You're strolling down an aisle at the grocery store and a new product catches your eye...

Being the avid label reader that you are, you decide to read the ingredients on the product.

What ingredient(s) would make you automatically put that item back on the shelf?

Or, alternatively, did you have a favorite food that you later discovered was loaded with a "toxic" ingredient? Did you stop eating it, or perhaps reduce your intake?
    Uni.

I will take a bat to someone if they try to feed me uni.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Anything with meat in it and artificial / alternative sweetners are my immediate nopes! I also try to watch out for hydrogenated oils, super high sodium, anything super high in saturated fat, palm oil, high fructose corn syrup and anything with way too many ingrediants.
  • Parkster007
    Options
    Mayonnaise. Makes me gag
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated fat
    +1

Should be labeled "crap that your body will instantly put into fat storage". Also high fructose corn syrup.

These are my two NO's