Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

jazmin220 wrote: »
    writerkat wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Nice work on the weight loss, but I do have a caution.

You generally eat 1000-1400 calories per day. That's not nearly enough to hit your body's various needs. In general people rebound and gain weight because extreme dieting reduces their lean body mass. I hope you will consider increasing your calorie intake for the sake of your health.

He's dr supervised, as I am on 1100 a day. He def should follow his dr's advice.

Agreed. A lot of people on MFP seem to think that they are qualified to tell random people on the internet how they should go about eating and exercising.

Well, really, it's not difficult to understand the more or less general rules of TDEE and weight loss. Outside of medical conditions, it's the same. You don't need to be a doctor to understand the safety and/or danger associated with different forms of weight loss. Appeals to authority are good in some ways, but also a logical fallacy in other ways, too.

And I'm sure people talking about OP's calorie goal were doing so out of concern. Many people don't understand how their bodies lose weight and end up eating far less than they should. Without other info, no one had any reason to suspect this might not have been the case for OP.
  • SonofNorthernDarkness
    Options
    I ve seen so many people losing 100+ lbs and came back again after 1-2 years.

Congrattdfgggghh

uhhh?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I ve seen so many people losing 100+ lbs and came back again after 1-2 years.

Congrattdfgggghh

yourself included presumably?
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Also to the judgemental commenters - you didn't bother to read this man's history and all of his health issues - maybe then it would make more sense to you. Please get the facts before making judgement about other's weight loss journeys. They aren't all the same - we aren't all in the same boat. I'm betting he has the support of physicians and nutritionists considering his health history!
  • pjs2780
    pjs2780 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    so awesome! congrats!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    hezemakiah wrote: »
    Also to the judgemental commenters - you didn't bother to read this man's history and all of his health issues - maybe then it would make more sense to you. Please get the facts before making judgement about other's weight loss journeys. They aren't all the same - we aren't all in the same boat. I'm betting he has the support of physicians and nutritionists considering his health history!

I have seen only one commenter make a judgmental comment: that OP would regain it all. She seems to have been thoroughly disagreed with by all.

But as you pluralized judgmental 'commenters,' I'd add: his history and health issues weren't shared... so how would anyone know otherwise unless they did some digging? It would have been very helpful for OP to express, "I did some more extreme measures under medical supervision, but here I am!"

I would add, though, that one of your earlier comments in the thread ("No matter how you've done it you've done it") is downright dangerous. There is a reason doctors are heavily involved when an extreme weight loss plan is put into place; it's because there are still negative side-effects, but they see the quick weight loss as more pivotal than doing it slower for that particular person.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    hezemakiah wrote: »

Therein lies the problem.
  • wmpottsjr
    wmpottsjr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow, well done you! What an amazing transformation! You are one very handsome man, if I might say. And I'm guessing you're not totally disabled anymore? What is your cardiolgist saying now?

Thank you for the compliments. My Cardiologist is very proud of me. My heart is much much better and yes I am under his care. He has reduced my carvedilol to the lowest level and he is considering reducing my afib medicine but that will require hospital monitoring. My lasix (80mg/day) is half what it used to be. I am very health conscious now and follow the DASH diet which I view as a life long diet. If you see in my diary any references to Daddy's Own, it means that I made my own recipe without salt.
  • jackeroo83
    jackeroo83 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    wmpottsjr wrote: »
    Thank you for the compliments. My Cardiologist is very proud of me. My heart is much much better and yes I am under his care. He has reduced my carvedilol to the lowest level and he is considering reducing my afib medicine but that will require hospital monitoring. My lasix (80mg/day) is half what it used to be. I am very health conscious now and follow the DASH diet which I view as a life long diet. If you see in my diary any references to Daddy's Own, it means that I made my own recipe without salt.

Happy to hear! Great job and best of luck on your continued journey to better health!! :)
  • xxoneluckygirlxx
    xxoneluckygirlxx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    we should all just focus on this man's accomplishment... stop quoting and dragging the drama on.
  • tropic80girl
    tropic80girl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    OP = Good for YOU!!! poo poo to all the naysayers... and O-H-I-O for good measure =P
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    great job
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mr. Potts, I think you have done a fabulous job! I know this could not have been easy for you, especially with your serious health conditions. And yet, here you are, making your own recipes, and now, even getting in some exercise. You are an inspiration to me and I will remember your story on my lowest days when I struggle to move or to make a healthy meal. Many, many best wishes to you!
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I would add, though, that one of your earlier comments in the thread ("No matter how you've done it you've done it") is downright dangerous. [/quote]

Why? His daily calories are between 1200 to 1400. While very low it's not super extreme. It's possible that with changes of macros that he might have gotten more nutrients out of this diet than his past higher calorie version. I am willing to bet that a.) his medical tests are far better and b.) he feeling far better. I have never heard of any deaths of people losing a lot of weight in a short time except maybe the surgeries. I think that the "anything greater than the 1-2 pounds per week is dangerous" is right up there with the food pyramid and world is flat logic.
  • karinagw
    karinagw Posts: 25
    Options

You generally eat 1000-1400 calories per day. That's not nearly enough to hit your body's various needs. In general people rebound and gain weight because extreme dieting reduces their lean body mass. I hope you will consider increasing your calorie intake for the sake of your health.

He's dr supervised, as I am on 1100 a day. He def should follow his dr's advice.

Nowhere in his profile or in the OP does he say that he's on a doctor supervised 1200 calorie diet. I also know that the nutritional training for most doctors is not very much. As I said, I was concerned his body's needs are not being met and that he is losing lean mass (which will reduce his BMR). This extends to others who want his type of success and are not being monitored by a doctor, but see his post and follow what he is doing.

Read the About Me on his profile
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    karinagw wrote: »

Nowhere in his profile or in the OP does he say that he's on a doctor supervised 1200 calorie diet. I also know that the nutritional training for most doctors is not very much. As I said, I was concerned his body's needs are not being met and that he is losing lean mass (which will reduce his BMR). This extends to others who want his type of success and are not being monitored by a doctor, but see his post and follow what he is doing.

Right. It doesn't say that. YOU read it. Read what it actually says - not what you think he means.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I did. You go back and read it again. It does not specifically state that the doctor told him to eat 1200 calories. I can copy and paste it all here if you would like.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I skipped all the stuff leading up to his weight gain. Please bold the part where his doctor told him to eat 1200 calories.

Well, I got so bad that I couldn't walk at the grocery store, I couldn't get my breath and I was huffing and puffing and sweating after every activity. That is when I weighed 342 lbs and I am only 5'8". They admitted me into the hospital on Sept 8, 2014 and they took almost 20 lbs of fluid off of me in 5 days. I felt a lot better!!! I committed to getting healthy.

I searched my nutrition books and the stores and found that the only thing I could conveniently eat that was low sodium and had good potassium levels were fruits and vegetables. Now mind you, I hated fruits and vegetables. So I loaded the kitchen table and fridge with them. I ate things I never dreamed of, mangoes, papayas, pomegranates, persimmons (the fruit of the gods) and developed an extreme liking for them all. There is nothing better when you're thirsty than a juicy tomato from the fridge or a cucumber or an orange, or a better breakfast than an avocado, banana, apple and orange. I jokingly tell people that I eat like a gorilla now. To be more correct, I eat very similarly to the DASH diet, a heart healthy diet.

I wrote down everything I ate and drank, weighed myself daily and measured my urine output. I ate all that I wanted and was never ever hungry. I watched my fluid output and only drank enough to replenish my fluids. I took lots of medicines for my heart and water weight. Well the pounds started to come off fast. As I said I have lost 68 lbs and avg 0.75 lbs a day. I found myself a phone app that graphed my daily weights. It let me add my weights retroactively and provided a trend analysis line so that I could predict when I will reach my goal. That is fun. I decided that I would eat this way for the rest of my life, adding a daily meat serving of course.

My doctors changed my medicine a couple times which required two more hospital stays. I soon felt better and better and cleaned up my old dishes and started cooking again. It became necessary to calculate my recipes and portions so Self Magazine Nutrition and My Fitness Pal fit the bill. I found a phone app called Monitor Your Weight that analyzes weight loss and provided a trend analysis so I can predict my weight loss. So, now I am having a lot of fun creating low-salt, high-potassium recipes and recording everything that I eat. I invested in a kitchen scale and for no more than $18 it became another life changer.

Now armed with my heart pills, my top of the line bathroom scales, my graphing weight loss app called Monitor Your Weight, my new kitchen scales, My Fitness Pal, the Self Nutrition Data site and my recumbent exercise bike, I feel that I am in complete control. Next step is to incorporate exercise!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!