How do you know when to stop?

Options

Replies

• dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My coworkers, well the two that have noticed at any rate, immediately assumed some terrible fate had befallen me. Almost like deliberately trying to lose weight is anathema to them. Or that I spend most of my work day in stealth mode so they only see me but rarely. Twas baffling, I agree.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Zig Zigler quote, " if you aim at nothing, you hit it every time". While weight is certainly a metric, it shouldn't be the only one. As an example, I want to be at 15% body fat, so I need to do certain things to achieve that. So, what is your goal? Find that, find your answer.

My goal was to wear shorts in public this summer, be attractive to the opposite sex and find me a decent man to date.

Well, it's still too cold out to wear shorts, but I think I can pull it off. As far as meeting a nice guy? Nope - still can't pull that off but I realized I like being alone anyway :)

If that is your goal, stop now because you reached it. I would add this, would you consider weight lifting? You could do what was advised above, do a recomp. That means eating at or slightly above maintenance and you basically trade fat for muscle. (that is an overly simplistic description). Honestly, I looked at your pictures and you look great, lifting and the change it would make, not only in your physique, but also how you feel about yourself could be worthwhile. Who knows, you might just find that man you are looking for at the gym.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with my pysique?

No - I'm not going to lift (I don't even belong to a gym) but I will continue my Pilates 6x a week ;)

• mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is a Beach Body coach... she keeps losing weight. She's also bulking up, but she keeps saying she needs to lose another 5-10 pounds. I worry about her. I understand where your co-worker is coming from.

However, it sounds like YOU want to go into maintenance. If you are happy with where you're at, then be happy!! Don't let anyone else determine what your happy weight is. :)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    mscheftg wrote: »
    I have a friend who is a Beach Body coach... she keeps losing weight. She's also bulking up, but she keeps saying she needs to lose another 5-10 pounds. I worry about her. I understand where your co-worker is coming from.

However, it sounds like YOU want to go into maintenance. If you are happy with where you're at, then be happy!! Don't let anyone else determine what your happy weight is. :)

I think mentally I need the break...I feel like this whole thing is taking up too much space in my head

• frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think I look pretty decent compared to other women my age. How do I feel? Ummm- honestly I feel like I'm sick to death of weighing/measuring and logging all my food and would love more than anything to eat like a 'normal'person. I'd love to go to lunch with my friends and and not have to look at the restaurant website so I can pre-log my meal. I'd love a few cocktails and the weekend and not have to worry about removing those calories from my daily food intake. I'd love some extra ketchup on my veggie burger without thinking "OMG!! I didn't weigh it...what if I go over my calories!!??"

I'm not "too thin" but over the past 3 or 4 weeks, the weight I've lost is pretty much only upper body - so my face got pretty thin.

Just remember, if you go back to normal eating you may gain. Have more fun, but be aware of what and how much you are eating. You will no longer eat at a deficit, but it does not give you carte blanche to over eat.

That said, I am very happy for you. You have lost and are now ready for maintenance.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    So... I'm a guy.... so I'm not sure if my experience is valuable to you, but I just went through this exact same thing. :smile:

I hit 100lbs lost, then thought "I bet I can get under 200". Then I hit 195 and thought "I bet I can get under 190".... this went on and on until I found myself seriously entertaining the thought of going down to 175lbs. I knew I could get there, but I had no idea if it would make me any happier.

So I stopped.

I just kind of woke up one day and said "where does this end"? I had to shift my mindset away from the number on the scale and into the framework of focusing on my fitness and overall health and happiness. It wasn't easy. I actually hired a professional nutrition and fitness trainer who helped me see that a shift in priorities was going to be beneficial in the long term and that I could, in fact, stop chasing scale weight. I'm not sure I would have been any happier if I had lost another 10lbs or 15 or whatever.

So I'm sitting at 185 right now (consistently) - eating more, working out smarter and with better goals in mind, and am really feeling positive about what this next year holds. It wasn't easy though.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You should look at body recomposition. Eat at maintenance and lift heavy weights.

That's a really good call and where I'm heading at the moment. Still 3lbs to lose until I'm at my goal but then want to try maintenance and lifting for a while to see what happens...

I know that otherwise as I'm feeling satisfied with losing I'll keep plugging away at that, so need a new goal.

• AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    So... I'm a guy.... so I'm not sure if my experience is valuable to you, but I just went through this exact same thing. :smile:

I hit 100lbs lost, then thought "I bet I can get under 200". Then I hit 195 and thought "I bet I can get under 190".... this went on and on until I found myself seriously entertaining the thought of going down to 175lbs. I knew I could get there, but I had no idea if it would make me any happier.
    So I stopped.

I just kind of woke up one day and said "where does this end"? I had to shift my mindset away from the number on the scale and into the framework of focusing on my fitness and overall health and happiness. It wasn't easy. I actually hired a professional nutrition and fitness trainer who helped me see that a shift in priorities was going to be beneficial in the long term and that I could, in fact, stop chasing scale weight. I'm not sure I would have been any happier if I had lost another 10lbs or 15 or whatever.

So I'm sitting at 185 right now (consistently) - eating more, working out smarter and with better goals in mind, and am really feeling positive about what this next year holds. It wasn't easy though.

OMG! This is exactly how I feel! You'd think that I'd be all proud for losing this weight, but instead I keep thinking that losing 5 or 10 or 15 more pounds would make me happier, but it doesn't. I'm no happier now then I was when I was 165. So yeah - where does it stop? I feel like I need to jump off the train before it derails...

I'd like to add (gulp) that was anorexic in my 20's and have been in recovery since 2001. Sometimes I feel like MFP is kinda feeding my demon.

• SonofNorthernDarkness
    Options
    i'll never be done
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and had an original goal weight of 165, but when I got there I knew I could do better. When I dropped 5 more pounds, I decided to shoot for 155...and so on and so on. So now I'm 143 and I just...I don't know if I'm slim emough yet. Which makes me think I should probably stop and go into maintenance, but part of me thinks I can go harder and drop more and the whole thing is making me very confused.

So, how do you know when you really are done losing?

I'm kinda asking because I overheard a colleague at work talking to my supervisor asking if I was "Ok" and saying "she just got so thin - is she sick?" Now, this wasn't said to be mean or gosspiy...she actually sounded concerned...

I'm 5'8 and my goal was 165, now I'm 163 and trying for maintenance with half an eye thinking another 10lbs and then a weight range of 155-165 would be fine.

Can you stop now and sort out fitness goals instead ...personally I want to do pull-ups but I'm not strong enough to lift my bodyweight like that yet

Finding maintenance is tricky
  • ewhip17
    Options

So I stopped.

OMG! This is exactly how I feel! You'd think that I'd be all proud for losing this weight, but instead I keep thinking that losing 5 or 10 or 15 more pounds would make me happier, but it doesn't. I'm no happier now then I was when I was 165. So yeah - where does it stop? I feel like I need to jump off the train before it derails...

I'd like to add (gulp) that was anorexic in my 20's and have been in recovery since 2001. Sometimes I feel like MFP is kinda feeding my demon.

I hear you. It was literally keeping me up at night, and that mental energy was really draining. I think that's when I knew it was time to make a shift. I used the term "stopped" previously and that probably wasn't the right word. I just pivoted.

I feel really good right now because I'm still being mindful of my intake from a maintenance perspective, and I'm still working out, but in a different way. So I'm still actively focused on my health but a lot of the pressure of "losing weight" has receded.
  • GuineaKitty
    GuineaKitty Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try for maintaining right now I'm at 168 shooting for 140. I can't imagine myself smaller than that for my body type. I'm 5'5.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If you do choose to maintain please be aware that you will see a ~5# jump on the scale in the first few days. This is not fat!!!! This is water and glycogen weight which will signal to your body that it dosnt have to conserve energy any more.

Most people have a metabolism range of +/- 2-300 cals. Don't be surprised if after 3weeks of maintaining you begin to lose again. At this point you just up your cals by another 1-200 cals till the loss stops.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

So I stopped.

I hear you. It was literally keeping me up at night, and that mental energy was really draining. I think that's when I knew it was time to make a shift. I used the term "stopped" previously and that probably wasn't the right word. I just pivoted.

I feel really good right now because I'm still being mindful of my intake from a maintenance perspective, and I'm still working out, but in a different way. So I'm still actively focused on my health but a lot of the pressure of "losing weight" has receded.

I think I'm totally shifting...yesterday I put down MFP and enjoyed the day sketching/drawing just like I used to. I felt so zen lololol I really think that I'm starting to feel drained and would rather spend my free time doing more creative things.

I'd like to just be mindful, watch my portions and make smart choices instead of logging all the time.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have not read everything but I do agree to the go into maintenance for a bit and let your mind adjust to the new you. You can give in 3 or 6 months and re-evaluate then.
  • ewhip17
    Options

So I stopped.

I think I'm totally shifting...yesterday I put down MFP and enjoyed the day sketching/drawing just like I used to. I felt so zen lololol I really think that I'm starting to feel drained and would rather spend my free time doing more creative things.

I'd like to just be mindful, watch my portions and make smart choices instead of logging all the time.

Yeah and you know, the way the next step looks for you, only you can determine. I'm still logging but I've found that my maintenance calories are higher than I had anticipated, so eating, and therefore logging, has become much less stressful. I hope it works out for you and you find some happiness. :smile:
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I find that people give me the "too thin" comment even if I know I'm not "too" thin. Someone said that when I went "down to" 165 before I got pregnant with my second son...and I'm 5'1!! I think people have been used to seeing you one way, and now by comparison, you look thin. So they comment. But only you can say whether you're "too" thin. :)

If you lost the weight quickly - or if it seems quick to the next person - that person may automatically wonder whether you've been ill.

How do you feel? How do YOU think you look? I would base whether you go into maintenance on that, not on what other people have said. :) JMO.

I think I look pretty decent compared to other women my age. How do I feel? Ummm- honestly I feel like I'm sick to death of weighing/measuring and logging all my food and would love more than anything to eat like a 'normal'person. I'd love to go to lunch with my friends and and not have to look at the restaurant website so I can pre-log my meal. I'd love a few cocktails and the weekend and not have to worry about removing those calories from my daily food intake. I'd love some extra ketchup on my veggie burger without thinking "OMG!! I didn't weigh it...what if I go over my calories!!??"

I'm not "too thin" but over the past 3 or 4 weeks, the weight I've lost is pretty much only upper body - so my face got pretty thin.

Well, if you are happy with the way you look and are sort of "over" counting for now, then sure, take a break! IMO.

• Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options

So I stopped.

Okay, this changes things a little. If you feel like you're heading down that slippery slope, reach out to someone and remind yourself of everything you've learned in recovery. Your weight appears to be perfect right now based on your height. Do you realize that, honestly, or do you feel past demons creeping back in?

I think if you go on maintenance, you're still probably going to need to log your food/exercise, at least for a little bit while you make the change over. But you can learn to let go of the obsession. Which is good advice for anyone. Your health and happiness are the priorities, not just the number on the scale. So change your focus a bit away from the scale and work on being the healthiest you can be ... physically, mentally and emotionally.
    And put those shorts on this summer and parade around like you own it!
  • ewhip17
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    When I look passably like Daniel Craig in Casino Royale.

Haha - that same thought has occurred to me once or twice.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options

So I stopped.

I just read your comment about your history with anorexia. Yes, please!! Keep doing what you did yesterday! Allow yourself to pay attention to what is going in your mouth. So you don't put back on those 65 pounds that you worked so hard to take off. But it sounds like tracking has become a bit of an obsession and you could easily slip back into the anorexia.

You've got the power to do this!!!