Calling All Oatmeal Lovers!

Options
I love, love, love oatmeal. However I love the sweet, goo-y yummy oatmeal. However, that is always loaded with sugar. I would love to hear what ya'll put in your oats to get them oh so yummy and still keep it on the healthy side. :)

Replies

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Vanilla, cinnamon, and a few raisins/fruit/a few tablespoons of muesli.

I also make overnight oatmeal. I mix oats with flavoured yoghurt, some fat free milk, and top with fresh fruit in the morning. (That's my summer oatmeal because it sits in the fridge overnight)
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Also interesting, if you cook it with milk, and add some cocoa powder, top with dates.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Here is what I make on weekends, and my husband LOVES it. To the oatmeal (which I cook in lowfat milk), I add a diced apple, a pinch of salt, a good shake of cinnamon, and a couple tablespoons of Craisins. Sometimes I sprinkle slivered almonds on top.

If we want extra sweetness, I'll drizzle maple syrup or honey on his, and I am fine with a little Splenda. He's a Scot and he calls this dish "Porridge With Colored Lumpy Bits".
  • d00dlefairy
    d00dlefairy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Throw in a few grams of wheat bran, cook it with milk and afterwards mash half a banana in, some protein powder, a little more milk and if I have any, some yummy blueberries on top. Stir, eat. My fave breakfast. :smiley:
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    prairie naturals café caramel protein powder with almond butter or any nut butter, and raspberries or strawberrys.
  • Linvala
    Linvala Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When I cook it I'll add cinnamon to the water while it's heating up. Then once oats are all cooked I'll usually add a bit of coconut milk and slice up some strawberries and stir about half of it in. Then I'll melt a tablespoon of crunchy almond butter and kind of cover the top of it as like a glaze and add the rest of the strawberries to the top. I love oatmeal when its all cooled down and kind of in layers of flavors. Simple yet really satisfying
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My favorite is by far with almond butter and jelly... but yeah, the toppings have as many calories as the oats. Or almond butter, apples and cinnamon. The lowest calorie alternative that I like is PB2 with a big of sugar.
  • kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats. You can put anything you want in there. So good!
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I added a scoop of vanilla protein powder to mine this morning, along with some blueberries. Reminded me a lot of the sugary stuff.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I use plain oats and add in Avocado and Peanut Butter!
  • NEWMEKELLIB
    NEWMEKELLIB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use rolled oats, with water as directed, with half a banana chopped- cook on stove or microwave...as directed the banana gives the sweetness and the "buttery" feel which I love about oatmeal ..top with anything...SF chocolate syrup, nuts , fresh berries, peanut butter, Greek yogurt with extra banana..endless choices
  • attemptingfierce
    attemptingfierce Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My go to oatmeal is peanut butter and a banana on top. I was never a fan of those bagged oatmeals however I am in love with oatmeal now.
  • jc93230
    jc93230 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    spickard34 wrote: »
    I use plain oats and add in Avocado and Peanut Butter!

I have to try this!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I prefer breakfast to have more protein than my oatmeal gives me, so when I have oatmeal I usually add protein powder and either raspberries or blueberries. Sometimes a banana instead of the berries.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    i high fiber oat bran with a scoop of vanilla whey protien and cinnamon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love oatmeal. However I love the sweet, goo-y yummy oatmeal. However, that is always loaded with sugar. I would love to hear what ya'll put in your oats to get them oh so yummy and still keep it on the healthy side. :)

I put two teaspoons of brown sugar...it's all of 30 additional calories and it tastes good.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you aren't opposed to trying savory, I am absolutely obsessed with this recipe:
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1 serving liquid egg whites
    Onion and Jalapeno diced and sauteed with a smidge of oil
    1 egg (prepped to your preference)

In a rush I heat the water, whisk the egg whites, add the dry oats to the egg whites, and mix in the onion and jalapeno. Once the water is boiling, I pour it in and reheat to get my oatmeal the consistency I like. You can top it off with the egg, prepped anyway you want, I prefer fried with a really runny yolk and some cheddar cheese.

Of course you can adjust the recipe how you see fit! I love spicy, this is a great breakfast for my taste buds.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've just added oatmeal into my breakfast rotation for the lower-the-LDL-number properties. I don't love it (it's a texture thing for me) but recently I added mango compote (cooked mango, lemon juice, cinnamon and vanilla extract) and some PB2 and it's pretty good.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    flaxseed meal, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, sliced almonds, sliced banana