**Misconception**

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    who4fan wrote: »
    Can't we just say that cardio doesn't add muscle mass and that you should do strength training as well. Any changes you make to lose weight have to be maintained to stay at goal, it's all a lifestyle change.

Not all cardio is created equal so no you can't make generalisations like that.
    Ever seen a cyclist with good leg muscles or a rower with a good overall physique?

(And no I'm not saying just do cardio before this degenerates into another polarised cardio v strength training thread. I've got a foot firmly in both camps!)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    And I agree that people should incorporate resistance training into their routine to preserve their muscle mass as they lose, and people should be more interested in BF% than goal weight.

I just feel like the original post didn't quite say that (yes, you CAN lose fat doing cardio) and it was just too full of incorrect information.

Mabee.

I agree with the general concepts but for the average Jane or Joe doing some sort of resistance training (and not necessarily a heavily lifting routine) during reasonable rate weight loss will translate into fat loss. Every single time. An exercise regimen that is adhered to and in line with personal goals and preferences works.

The OP seems to have a monolithic solution for all which is, of course, nonsense.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • jtabiolo
    jtabiolo Posts: 50
    Options
    All I was sayin is there is a big difference between losing weight and losing body fat percentage. Peoples midset should be to lose body fat percentage rather than looking at the scale to see the lowest number.
    I'm not saying just to lift weights and so forth. I'm saying people should incorporate some type of strength training (doesn't have to be weights) to not just lose weight but lose body fat percentage. Yea doing only cardio may drop a lot of weight, but by doing weight training plus cardio will help lower your body fat.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jtabiolo wrote: »
    All I was sayin is there is a big difference between losing weight and losing body fat percentage. Peoples midset should be to lose body fat percentage rather than looking at the scale to see the lowest number.
    I'm not saying just to lift weights and so forth. I'm saying people should incorporate some type of strength training (doesn't have to be weights) to not just lose weight but lose body fat percentage. Yea doing only cardio may drop a lot of weight, but by doing weight training plus cardio will help lower your body fat.

This was much better stated than your original post.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Are everyone's goals the same? Stop making assumptions.

• jtabiolo
    Options
    Someone who is strength training & cardio will reach their goal much rapidly than someone that is just doing cardio. You tell me one trainer that will tell their client, do nothing but cardio. Absolutely none. Every trainer incorporates some type of strength training to their ability. You burn more calories and body fat at the same time. It's not bro science.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Oh thank god, we can just do away with weight classes in competition now, because some internet rando says it's the wrong goal.

I want to see Frank Mir vs. Mayweather in an 11% BF title match.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Someone who is strength training & cardio will reach their goal much rapidly than someone that is just doing cardio. You tell me one trainer that will tell their client, do nothing but cardio. Absolutely none. Every trainer incorporates some type of strength training to their ability. You burn more calories and body fat at the same time. It's not bro science.

What does a trainer have to do with this? Your all over the place. All of that means nothing if the diet is not correct. So you're still wrong.

• jtabiolo
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I was targeting people who say they "want to lose weight" now to save them time they should incorporate some type of strength training. You know hard it is to lose 700 calories on a treadmill or some type of machine. It's much easier and less time to burn the same amount of calories with strength training alone.

• jtabiolo
    Options

This was much better stated than your original post.

It was really late when I posted my OP. I re read it this morning and I was like ooops
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I was targeting people who say they "want to lose weight" now to save them time they should incorporate some type of strength training. You know hard it is to lose 700 calories on a treadmill or some type of machine. It's much easier and less time to burn the same amount of calories with strength training alone.

How about not eating those 700 calories is the easiest way then using exercise to burn it?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

That is completely and utterly false. Please do your homework.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    And I agree that people should incorporate resistance training into their routine to preserve their muscle mass as they lose, and people should be more interested in BF% than goal weight.

I just feel like the original post didn't quite say that (yes, you CAN lose fat doing cardio) and it was just too full of incorrect information.

Mabee.

I agree with the general concepts but for the average Jane or Joe doing some sort of resistance training (and not necessarily a heavily lifting routine) during reasonable rate weight loss coupled with a calorie deficit will translate into fat loss. Every single time. An exercise regimen that is adhered to and in line with personal goals and preferences works.

The OP seems to have a monolithic solution for all which is, of course, nonsense.

I fixed that for you.
  • jtabiolo
    Options

How about not eating those 700 calories is the easiest way then using exercise to burn it?

Well obviously your diet has to be in check. People that exercise and not watching their diet is wasting their time. SMH.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of what obese/overweight people will lose is fat. There will be some muscle loss, of course, but mostly it's fat.

I do think that retaining LBM is really important and should be part of ones overall goal, but it's much easier to track weight than body fat %. Not everyone (myself included) has access to accurately check their numbers.

I've not done any cardio at all during my weight loss. I've lifted weights (small ones) and done bodyweight exercises since the beginning, and I've done yoga. I've lost 72 pounds so far and I think I still have a relatively high body fat %. Hopefully that will go down with these last 15 pounds.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Now we're having a come to god moment here. The light, the light has been seen!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Mabee.

I agree with the general concepts but for the average Jane or Joe doing some sort of resistance training (and not necessarily a heavily lifting routine) during reasonable rate weight loss coupled with a calorie deficit will translate into fat loss. Every single time. An exercise regimen that is adhered to and in line with personal goals and preferences works.

I fixed that for you.

How does a reasonable-rate weight loss occur without a calorie deficit?

• dbmata
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Mabee.

I fixed that for you.

How does a reasonable-rate weight loss occur without a calorie deficit?

I can demonstrate, I just need:
    1. A bottle of bourbon
    2. laughing gas (for me)
    3. A willing volunteer
    4. My buck knife
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Well obviously your diet has to be in check. People that exercise and not watching their diet is wasting their time. SMH.

Not everyone does watch their diet. I know I did not and got pretty high in weight but also have more LBM than most people my size do. So if you are going to talk about fat loss then diet needs to be talked about and is the more important than exercising.