Any good detox or cleanses that actually work???

Options

Replies

• BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I like using diet teas I find in the organic section at the grocery store. They are usually 10 day cleanses that work really well. They don't make you lose weight, but help clean out your system and they make and keep my stomach flat.
    Stahp.

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I like using diet teas I find in the organic section at the grocery store. They are usually 10 day cleanses that work really well. They don't make you lose weight, but help clean out your system and they make and keep my stomach flat.

No!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I rather waste money somewhere else.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    your liver and kidneys do this...
  • ndj1979
    Options

first post = epic NO
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options

I would never drink tea again if I had to do this...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    1538668_1437544626476587_343071643_n.jpeg
    This sums it up. Anyone who says otherwise should be disregarded.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    1538668_1437544626476587_343071643_n.jpeg

I had to laugh at this. Just an hour ago someone told me the same thing when I told them that detoxes are nonsense. This pic would have really came in handy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    mrspauleon wrote: »
    So much negativity! Well I am currently a nursing student in microbiology and heavy folks do tend to have more unneeded microorganisms in their gut, so it is recommended to get the good microbiota in check and up to proper levels while lessening the bad. The basic one used before colonoscopies is good. Mixing something like miralax with gatorade and clearing yourself out for a day. You must watch your diet and up your intake of probiotics for a few weeks post. Limit (or abstain from) red meat as well.

Ehrmagherd ...a nursing student who has taken a class...it must be twue!

Cite scientific sources please
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

What do you know, a tea that keeps your stomach flat. Who knew.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
  • PharmGirl522
    PharmGirl522 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ....You must be new here.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A lot of so called detoxes are very low in sodium and in calories. They make you lose a lot of water in a few days. But like it has been said, the liver and the kidney do not need help. They can do their job.
  • PharmGirl522
    PharmGirl522 Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So much negativity! Well I am currently a nursing student in microbiology and heavy folks do tend to have more unneeded microorganisms in their gut, so it is recommended to get the good microbiota in check and up to proper levels while lessening the bad. The basic one used before colonoscopies is good. Mixing something like miralax with gatorade and clearing yourself out for a day. You must watch your diet and up your intake of probiotics for a few weeks post. Limit (or abstain from) red meat as well.

Well, I'm currently a pharmacy technician student, and one of the very first things we learned is that cleanses (*including* the one used before colonoscopies!) are not things that should *ever* be recommended to patients. If they are about to undergo a colonoscopy, they will have specific written instructions from their physicians. Otherwise, if they're just looking for a way to "cleanse" themselves, well, you tell them to go back to their doctor and ask about it (and dollars to donuts their doctor is going to tell them that cleanses are, in fact, garbage.)

I'm no nursing student, but hopefully at some point in your education you will learn that the cleanse performed before a colonoscopy is not something that someone should do if they are, not...y'know...having a colonoscopy. My mother has a colonoscopy done every year (history of colon cancer in the family) and let me tell you -- if you have not done that particular cleanse yourself or even witnessed someone going through one, that is NOT something that you should be recommending to someone who's just looking for a "jump start" to weight loss or whatever foolishness people are usually getting on with when they're on weight loss forums asking about cleanses.

I certainly hope you're at least a new nursing student, because if you are close to graduating, you still have a hell of a lot to learn in this particular arena.

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

So in other words...see your doctor. because if you need a cleanse, you have bigger problems.

ETA" I see PharmGirl above her has it handled, and quite well at that.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

You have quite obviously never had a colonoscopy.

I even doubt your claims of being a nursing student based on this level of ridiculously bad advice.

• ndj1979
    Options

did you fail out of nursing school?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

did you fail out of nursing school?

If not yet, I feel she will, If she does graduate I fear for the people she nurses
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

You have quite obviously never had a colonoscopy.

I even doubt your claims of being a nursing student based on this level of ridiculously bad advice.

Sadly I dont. Some of the things I have heard nurses say is sometime very very scary.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Eat an entire can of pumpkin. That'll clean you out quite nicely. :wink: