How many carbs do you eat daily?

Options

Replies

• stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    hotsungirl wrote: »
    My daily goal is 240 which right now is 40% of my macros. Carbs are fuel.

You have a choice for fuel -- carbs (glucose) or ketones (fat).

So you're saying that if I eat carbs I won't burn fat? Interesting...I wonder what all this weight I dropped was then. I know it wasn't muscle because I'm pretty good on that end...Hmmm...must have been some kind of magic dust or something since I was eating carbs so obviously couldn't burn fat.

You people are hilarious....it's not sweat off my back if you want to low carb or keto or whatever...but stop spewing nonsense.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15735-1387571325-10.gif

^^^THIS^^^

I prefer to eat in a way that I can for the rest of my life rather than to avoid carbs forever. If you can eat that way for the rest of your days though you are a better person than me.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    For people with diabetes, I think 45-60g per meal is recommended. If you are pre-diabetic, you need to talk to your doctor about your carbohydrate needs and limits. Also make sure to ask your doctor's feelings on net carbs, because some in the medical community, especially where it applies to diabetes, aren't buying that idea.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    On average about 260g
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I eat around 100 to 125.

I eat more or less 30% of my calories from carbs. It's just a matter of personnal preference. I like my cheese and fat in general. I have to cut somewhere and I don't want to cut on proteins.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

So you're saying that if I eat carbs I won't burn fat? Interesting...I wonder what all this weight I dropped was then. I know it wasn't muscle because I'm pretty good on that end...Hmmm...must have been some kind of magic dust or something since I was eating carbs so obviously couldn't burn fat.

You people are hilarious....it's not sweat off my back if you want to low carb or keto or whatever...but stop spewing nonsense.

Uh..where did anyone say you wouldn't burn fat while eating carbs!?

Cause..all I saw from what you quoted was someone saying you also have a choice to get your energy from fat rather than carbs. As in..the fat a person who low carbs is eating is used as fuel instead. Therefore, carbs aren't necessarily everyones main fuel.

......ugh
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    depends..anywhere from 175 to 225 a day ….
  • antiguadreams
    antiguadreams Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am at odds with what Myfitnesspal tells me I can have... I will never eat that many carbs in a day. I try to make sure carb-y foods I eat also have essential nutrients and dietary fiber. I avoid all White flour products, and white rice. I get most of my carbs from Legumes and lentils, a small amount of whole wheat/multigrain breads in the form of low calorie, high fiber sandwich thins or pita bread. Also Brown rice, Pearled Barley, Bulgar, and sweet potatoes. Plus however many carbs are in plain lowfat(2%) greek yogurt.

I just started this lifestyle change... after I make it through a few weeks I'll be more than happy to share numbers in more detail.
  • dterpsy
    dterpsy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My trainer has suggested a ratio of 35% protein, 35% fats and 30% carbs. I've been sticking to that pretty closely and am losing steadily. Of course, I'm also monitoring my calories and like others have said, I try to stay at a calorie deficit. It's working for me, but I know other people have had success with other methods, too.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    On a deficit I try to stick to keto levels of carbs. Usually around 20-50. If I am eating around maintenance I only count cals, not macros.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Usually around 150-170
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    For people with diabetes, I think 45-60g per meal is recommended. If you are pre-diabetic, you need to talk to your doctor about your carbohydrate needs and limits. Also make sure to ask your doctor's feelings on net carbs, because some in the medical community, especially where it applies to diabetes, aren't buying that idea.

Yeah, I asked my doctor (a certified diabetic educator) and she said that total carbs are the important number and I should ignore anything about net carbs and also not track sugar. The only difference in carbs from sugar and carbs from other sources is how quickly it raises blood sugar. Simple carbs raise it fast but it also lowers fast. Complex carbs raise it more slowly, but not as high, and lowers it slowly. For T2 diabetics who are not on insulin it is all about the daily average, not the peaks and valleys, so it doesn't matter.

I know others in the medical field will tell their patients different so you just have to pay attention to what you are doing and how different approaches work. I was off all meds within 10 months of diagnosis and my A1C is stable in the 5.3-5.5 range through diet and exercise alone. Diet includes reduced carb (max of 180 g total) but not low carb.

• Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have my guideline set at 20% of my daily calories, which is 85 grams (total, not net) with my calories set at 1700. This level works for me because I'm eating way fewer calories without feeling hungry. Higher carbs = hungry girl.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't really count carbs. My macros are set for 40% carbs, but I usually exceed it. Today, it's 170 grams. I have 64 lbs off, so carbs haven't slowed me down.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Usually between 150g - 170g!

And sooo in for fat vs. carb debate!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    50 or less (total, not net - I've never calculated my net). I fill in with protein and healthy fat sources. Total calorie goal is 1500.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options

^^This.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Right now on a cut I'm at 200g on my heavy lift days, 160g on lighter lift days, and 120g on my rest day.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I eat 20 grams or less a day now that I started keto for health reasons. I won't say that would be the reason I lose weight if I do. I lost weight before my health issues started eating 150 to 200 g of carbs daily.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Uh..where did anyone say you wouldn't burn fat while eating carbs!?

Cause..all I saw from what you quoted was someone saying you also have a choice to get your energy from fat rather than carbs. As in..the fat a person who low carbs is eating is used as fuel instead. Therefore, carbs aren't necessarily everyones main fuel.

......ugh

It's an either or statement....

which is actually true whether you low carb or not...my point being that low keto folk and low carb folk seem to missrepresent this all of the time...as if the only way you're burning fat is if you're taking in very little carbohydrates.

People use fat as fuel all of the time regardless if they are low carb, high carbs, whatever...

JonStewartUgh.gif

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Around 150 g lately, although I'm raising it as I ramp up my exercise so expect that to go up. I've varied my number over time, because I'm another who likes to keep fat and protein pretty stable and changes carbs based on total calorie goal and how much exercise I'm doing. When I first started and was exercising less and eating low calories (since I had a lot to lose) I aimed for about 100-125, but when I have been exercising a lot I aimed for 150-175, and I'm going to experiment with it around 200, since I've been eating less meat and finding carbs more filling than I used to.

So long as my calories were right the number of carbs I ate didn't affect my loss (I've lost 95 lbs), but some people find they affect their satiety. I cut mine low at first less due to satiety and more based on personal preference and what foods would make me feel like I was enjoying my diet the most at a lower calorie level. (I've just always preferred protein and fat sources to the typical carbs like bread, rice, etc., although at 100 grams I still ate plenty of carbs, especially potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruit, dairy, vegetables (of course), and occasional sweets.)