Type II Diabetic getting sick

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That coffee creamer you're logging isn't zero carb - it's glucose and margarine.

When you say you feel "sick" do you mean like you[re going to throw up or something else ?

You'll feel great at 300+ until you lose your eyesight and feet.
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    hey dude type 2 myself. It may take some time for your body to get used to your new low. I know mine did. I just recently stopped taking my glipizide because it was dropping my sugar into the 40's.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I felt great at 300+
    The false hypos are most likely your body trying to get itself familiar with the lower levels. Your body is probably used to being at 300, and it might start producing hypoglycemia symptoms at non-hypoglycemia ranges because of it.

I was diagnosed as a T1 with a BG in the 500's and average BG for the previous 3 months at around 270. Once I was placed on insulin and got my levels down to around a 140 average, I ended up having hypoglycemia symptoms at around 80-90 for the first few weeks until my body was more used to being at 70-120. Now, for an average BG of about 115, I typically start feeling hypoglycemia symptoms at about 65-67 and hyperglycemia symptoms at around 180-190.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yes what abatonfan said. I have type 1, as well as my son and my mother. If your body is used to 300 you can definitely feel low at 100 even though you're not. You just have to push through it and your body will adjust the more you are in a normal range. It's like a caffeine withdrawl sort of. If you don't have caffeine you feel awful until your body adjusts even though you are medically *ok*.

I've had to learn the difference between feeling hungry/weak/tired and feeling low. It's really hard to tell sometimes....
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have T2 and I first started feeling symptoms of hypo when my glucose numbers were in the 90's. My doctor recommended that I gradually work my carbs down to the recommended level (max of 180 daily) to allow my body to get used to the lower number. Eventually I could get into the 60's without feeling hypo and that is when she took me off the medication. Talk to your doctor about the symptoms you are having and your daily carb amounts. Perhaps cutting them more gradually will help, but that is definitely your doctor's call and should be based on your individual case.
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My ex had type I and his "normal" blood sugar was higher than most people's. Everybody's body is different, and the normal blood sugar range is based on an average across a lot of people. Meaning some people's optimal blood sugar levels can be higher or lower than the norm. He did say he felt his best when eating lower carbs, though, and whenever he did this for a while his typical blood sugar gradually decreased and he had to reduce his medication.

If you start getting symptoms of low blood sugar when you're at a supposedly normal level, discuss it with your doctor fully and tell him that number range isn't working for you. Or discuss a more gradual way to work towards lower levels instead of trying it all at once. If he's only paying attention to numbers instead of how you really feel, then it may be time to find another doctor who will work with you to find your optimal medication level to keep you above the threshold of feeling ill.

Good luck and hope you start feeling better soon!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Also, you can ask the doc for another a1c which will give the doc information, along with your logs, with regard to lowering one of your medications.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I felt great at 300+

Stop judging by how good you feel, go back to your dr, explain how you feel and understand why. No one is having a risk from numbers around 100 and feeling good at 300+ does not mean it is safe for you. If you are seeing numbers this high at all, it means you are either not cooperating with dr's orders, or that your meds need adjustement again, because your life is at risk.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Ok, the 300+ comment was not meant as a serious one. I know that is not healthy, thus why I am currently low carb and getting sick when I get below 120. I was making a point that feeling good and a healthy glucose level for me, do not seem to go hand in hand. I never had any of the common diabetic symptoms. Wasn't discovered until a random blood test/labs done for a checkup.
    I've been having this issue for weeks, so "push through it" just doesn't seem reasonable. For those saying "see your doctor", that was in my very first post, appointment Friday. Thank you for those that actual have had this issue and responded.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    How much metformin are you taking, 2,000mg??, I found when i lowered my carbs i felt rubbish with the highish dose I was getting (1500mg), and requested my doctor could I take a lower dose, she was happy about it and I no longer felt ill (500mg) and then requested for the slow release. Changing the dose may help, as per your profile you've lost weight so less of you for metformin to work through (so to speak).

The other two meds I have no personal knowledge of. Sorry
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Wait until you see your doctor. Advice from any internet forum might be good, might be not so good, but you never know what applies to you. I've never had any symptoms of diabetes, yet I barely flunked a fasting blood glucose test just this morning. I have no intention of taking advice from anyone who isn't my doctor. Your health is far too important. Every one's body is different. I'll give you an example. Some years ago when suffering from anxiety and depression, I read all about Lexapro and how effective it was, so when my doctor wanted to put me on Zoloft, I disagreed and insisted on Lexapro. Two doses of Lexapro and I was psychotic, nearly ended up in the ER. So, Zoloft it was, and I was fine with it.

I'm not criticizing anyone's responses here. It's just that we're all really strangers, and none of us are doctors, much less doctors who have examined the OP.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    have you kept an accurate glucose level log paired with an accurate and precise food log to start seeing if there are any correlations? Have you invested the time to find which glucose level is optimal for your well being?

If no to either, I would think you have a little homework.

I'll second this. There are foods that are lower carb that should be fine for me but throw my levels out of whack. When you say sick, are you dizzy and shaky or is sick to your stomach? I'm guessing the former as that is what sick feels like to me. I was getting this through the day and stopped taking the AM dose of Metformin. I'm not saying this is what you should do or what is causing it, but you might look into it. Are your fasting levels high?
  • gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Definitely take your dietary records and Blood sugar records to the doctor when you go. The one thing I noticed on your food is that you are getting very little fiber/vegetables in your diet. Fiber affects the food is absorbed and utilized in the body
  • PinkandBlack87
    Options
    I believe what's going on is your body got use to high sugar levels, now you are on medication to drop your levels, your body thinks your sugar levels are too low when its actually in the normal range. Definitely talk to your doctor
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Wait until you see your doctor. Advice from any internet forum might be good, might be not so good, but you never know what applies to you. I've never had any symptoms of diabetes, yet I barely flunked a fasting blood glucose test just this morning. I have no intention of taking advice from anyone who isn't my doctor. Your health is far too important. Every one's body is different. I'll give you an example. Some years ago when suffering from anxiety and depression, I read all about Lexapro and how effective it was, so when my doctor wanted to put me on Zoloft, I disagreed and insisted on Lexapro. Two doses of Lexapro and I was psychotic, nearly ended up in the ER. So, Zoloft it was, and I was fine with it.

I'm not criticizing anyone's responses here. It's just that we're all really strangers, and none of us are doctors, much less doctors who have examined the OP.

I will lay odds that at least some people who post on MFP are medical doctors, just as several here are PhDs, though they might not have replied to this thread. They should be able to give sound advice even without personal experience with OP's case. Probably along the lines of 'work with your current doctor or get a second opinion'.
  • asahelgridley
    asahelgridley Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Seeing your doc about this is best advice .
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    gaurdgoose wrote: »
    Definitely take your dietary records and Blood sugar records to the doctor when you go. The one thing I noticed on your food is that you are getting very little fiber/vegetables in your diet. Fiber affects the food is absorbed and utilized in the body

I take fiber supplements, that I do not record.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I will lay odds that at least some people who post on MFP are medical doctors, just as several here are PhDs, though they might not have replied to this thread. They should be able to give sound advice even without personal experience with OP's case. Probably along the lines of 'work with your current doctor or get a second opinion'.

No doctor is going to give medical advice over the internet in a random forum. I'm friends with several, and they always hate it when we ask them a random question; I'll get told to ask my actual doctor (they are more responsive to hypothetical or general questions). It's bad medicine to try and diagnose a problem without the complete workup and data.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your dairy and notice some meals have almost no carbs while others are fairly high. Although your numbers may work for the day, you may want to try to pre log and get a more balanced spread of carbs through the day. I would definitely ask your doctor about a referral to a dietitian specializing in diabetics. Seeing a dietitian helped my mom get better control and lessened the swings.
  • ScribbleFace1987
    ScribbleFace1987 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 so slightly different to you but a lot of the basics for diabetes management are similar - so I thought I'd chip in but I'd recommend talking to your doctor about the nausea and odd symptoms despite good sugar readings.

However, it sounds like it would be a good idea to test your ketone levels. Your doctor should have given you some method of testing (usually they're sticks that you dip into a urine sample and it changes colour or a tester similar to your glucose tester). If the ketone reading is higher than 0.6 (or the colour of the stick is the colour indicated on the instructions as ketones present) then you will have evidence that your doctor needs to do something to help you.

Usually diabetic ketoacidosis is a type 1 issue due to poor insulin management but they have identified that a low carb diet can cause this in type 2's. One of the main symptoms is nausea and when I was unfortunate enough to develop it due to an intolerance to my insulin i found that i felt incredibly sick after any meal, breathless, blurred vision, confusion and shakes (all of which are my hypo symptoms).

If there are no ketones in your urine then its possible that your body has conditioned itself to expect higher sugar levels and it believes that the normal levels are actually low levels. You may need time to acclimatise to normal sugar levels again.