Catabolic Exercise? (:

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    @_dracarys_‌ I study Nutrition and am interested in sports nutrition too. I'm just new to trying to maintain my way of training on a deficit and in the end bulk down muscle instead of letting it get soft. I've never heard anyone ask this question either which is why I'm curious to see what others have to say.

Basically, muscle is muscle. You can change it's size and strength, but not so much it's shape or it's firmness.

To get smaller, you'll have to lose fat, muscle, or both. To do that, you'll need to be in a calorie deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    You want to decrease muscle and lose body fat? Basically, you'll just be a smaller version of what you are now without any change in appearance. That won't make you look 'toned'

It will actually as I don't have much fat to lose. You all are making it sound like I'm out to get weak and pathetic. I'm more focused on improving upon athleticism. My fitness and performance levels are already advanced. I'm working down to turn back into a more balanced athlete, not a bodybuilder. Bodybuilding is too easy for my liking although I do maintain the quality of my muscles so my fitness levels are always high. So there won't be a "smaller" version of me. Just trying to figure out how to get a more balanced look through the same workouts. Quality>Strength always

Ignoring the ridiculous comments here - if you do not want to be a bb'er, then don't train like one. It's not that complex. However, I have no idea how you think you will change anything if you keep the same workouts.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    @4legsRbetterthan2‌ loll that's gross

What?

Not gross to look at (: relax yourself

Then why did you even make the comment? What is gross?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

What?

I'm guessing she means on herself she would not like the way it looks. If that is the answer OP should of said it like that.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Don't take the title as an insult, but go read these:

bretcontreras.com/long-lean-muscles-oh-irony/

bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

From the second link:
    Skilled female lifters with good kinaesthetic awareness and a genetic propensity toward building muscle tend to see rapid results too, and these are the ladies who speak up about heavy progressive resistance training and its tendency to add too much bulk. The typical response in the industry to these ladies is to tell them that women are unable to get too muscular. This is both foolish and myopic as it depends on the woman’s training, genetics, and goals.

The links provide some great information. It should be everything you need.
  • usmcmp
    Options

What?

Someone told her to make her arms bigger.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    @_dracarys_‌ I study Nutrition and am interested in sports nutrition too. I'm just new to trying to maintain my way of training on a deficit and in the end bulk down muscle instead of letting it get soft. I've never heard anyone ask this question either which is why I'm curious to see what others have to say.

Not sure why there have been crazy overreactions on this thread, but I agree with DjinnMarie (sorry if that is not correct) on the first page: pretty sure you're just basically saying you have more of a gymnasts body and you'd prefer a dancer's shape. Understandable. I'd keep your weight training, but add in pilates, yoga, etc. I used to store most of my fat on my thighs until I started heavy lifting, so I'd hesitate to give that up, if I were you.

Also, try a variety of sports: tennis, swimming, etc. Are there local teams you can join or classes at a gym? You can definitely become more athletic and still lift.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

What?

Someone told her to make her arms bigger.

I know - but she is now saying that she did not mean its gross to look at - so I was wondering what she actually meant.
  • thelittlecharacter
    thelittlecharacter Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Basically, muscle is muscle. You can change it's size and strength, but not so much it's shape or it's firmness.

To get smaller, you'll have to lose fat, muscle, or both. To do that, you'll need to be in a calorie deficit.[/quote]

@jacksonpt‌ Good explanation (: gracias

@Sarauk2sf‌ My goals are only ridiculous to you only because I guarantee you're not very fit and can't give the effort to improve upon all areas of skill and fitness. I'm involved in coaching track now at a couple local schools. And I'm also working to become a certified pt within the next couple months so I've gotta be more fit than most...let's say bikini competitors. And I use my workouts as a means of building up and shocking my athletes' muscles. I turn my exercises from a more bodybuilding focus and use a more strength/proprioception-oriented approach. You don't understand that I train everything in different ways. I can't just give it up. I can only learn to switch it up.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh boy...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

@Sarauk2sf‌ My goals are only ridiculous to you only because I guarantee you're not very fit and can't give the effort to improve upon all areas of skill and fitness. I'm involved in coaching track now at a couple local schools. And I'm also working to become a certified pt within the next couple months so I've gotta be more fit than most...let's say bikini competitors. And I use my workouts as a means of building up and shocking my athletes' muscles. I turn my exercises from a more bodybuilding focus and use a more strength/proprioception-oriented Approach to their practices. You don't understand that I train everything in different ways. I can't just give it up. I can only switch it up.

boy, you sure nailed the assessment of Sara.

Sorry. I'm laughing too hard to fix the quotes.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

To get smaller, you'll have to lose fat, muscle, or both. To do that, you'll need to be in a calorie deficit.

@Sarauk2sf‌ My goals are only ridiculous to you only because I guarantee you're not very fit and can't give the effort to improve upon all areas of skill and fitness. I'm involved in coaching track now at a couple local schools. And I'm also working to become a certified pt within the next couple months so I've gotta be more fit than most...let's say bikini competitors. And I use my workouts as a means of building up and shocking my athletes' muscles. I turn my exercises from a more bodybuilding focus and use a more strength/proprioception-oriented approach. You don't understand that I train everything in different ways. I can't just give it up. I can only switch it up.

I know you did not call @Sarauk2sf‌ out. Be care who you go to battle with but since its hear lets start it.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    @Sarauk2sf‌ My goals are only ridiculous to you only because I guarantee you're not very fit and can't give the effort to improve upon all areas of skill and fitness. I'm involved in coaching track now at a couple local schools. And I'm also working to become a certified pt within the next couple months so I've gotta be more fit than most...let's say bikini competitors. And I use my workouts as a means of building up and shocking my athletes' muscles. I turn my exercises from a more bodybuilding focus and use a more strength/proprioception-oriented approach. You don't understand that I train everything in different ways. I can't just give it up. I can only learn to switch it up.

You think Sara isn't fit? That was just beyond rude.

Also, your theories on training athletes are wrong.

But, you seem to know it all, so I'm sure you'll have no problem making your muscles long and lean. Good luck!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Ohhhh boy...

Indeed...

lzjvoh0j5dls.jpg

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

oish.

Sounds like you have some pretty specific goals. It also sounds like you're pretty set in your ways. I'd suggest meeting with a local coach and/or nutritionist to really get into the nitty gritty, who can see what you're doing and what your'e not doing, etc.

Basically, meeting with a coach will allow you to get into far greater detail than we can do through a message board. You're looking for something we can't give you.
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I'm hear to learn about shocking muscles.
  • thelittlecharacter
    thelittlecharacter Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    @yopeeps025 I did sound a bit mean just there ;b However, suppose it was to motivate and inspire others to improve? I'm allowed to be as feisty as I'd like. Words truly mean nothing. Only bad intentions...
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    So Sara is an unfit bikini competitor now?

dgbg.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Ohhhh boy...

Indeed...

lzjvoh0j5dls.jpg
    Not enough.

:mrgreen: at anyone calling Sara unfit.
  • thelittlecharacter