What is your carbs/protein/fat ratio?

Options

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Saturated fats are not the "bad" fats................The canola oil and other vegetable oils you use are the bad fats.

Decades of medical research would argue that point.

With conclusions drawn from a data set missing relevant data and that data was knowingly and willfully omitted. Lot's of back peddling happening around fats, cholesterol, etc.. And we will never hear a reversal on much of it because it would destroy many economies. It's easier to hold your ground promoting a diet that makes people sick that supports food producers that supports the medical and pharmaceutical companies vs putting millions out of work, crashing markets, and destroying the economies of entire countries. /rant

Love how you put that.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    70% carbs, 15% protein, and 15% fat.

I used this ratio to get to my leanest (many moons ago) when I had to time to kill it in the gym and on the river.

I don't pay a huge amount of attention to my ratios any more. If my workouts feel lacking I will bump up carbs, if I am feeling constantly hungry then I will eat more protein and a little more fat. Simples.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    35C/45P/25F
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Just readjusted mine: 5/40/55 Carbs/Protein/Fat

I've been readjusting Carbs/Protein as weight has been dropping to keep carbs under 20-30g and protein at or around .9 x weight, with fat making up the remainder.
    How can you eat only 5% carbs? What about dairy, fruit, veg etc???

You'd be surprised how hard it is to eat even 50 grams of carbs a day if you are not eating grains (bread, pasta, etc). For example, there's only like 4 grams of carbs in 4 cups of spinach! Anything you can get from grains, you can get from fruits and vegetables. Plus alot of people here are insulin resistant and have problems with grains. In addition, not everyone can tolerate dairy.
    I was on low carb diet like a year ago for about a month. Lost 10 lbs and felt so awfull... no energy, moody, smelly breath, and craved dry toast so much that I would give up half of what I own to have it. How do people make it a lifestyle?

I don't think that low carb is right for everyone, some people have great metabolism and run efficiently on sugar as fuel (grains)esp if they are active and burn it right up, but people that are insulin resistant, inactive, extremely overweight, genetically pre-disposed to sugar problems and obesity will run better on fat for fuel. the side affects you are talking about sound like what we call the "carb flu" it takes some adjusting for your body to go from using sugar to using fat. but once it does switch over, it's a difference like night and day.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    it takes some adjusting for your body to go from using sugar to using fat. but once it does switch over, it's a difference like night and day.

it's like when Neo took the red pill in the Matrix.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Well that's a bummer that it's several people who have high fat intake. Other than those w/ insulin problems this thread has really depressed me that we are so off the wall from one another so then there is no agreement about how to lose weight other than exercise and don't pig out.

It makes that whole 1200 calorie minimum goal fight we all have seem completely pointless when its obvious we are all doing something wrong... or right when it comes to weight loss nutrient proportions and there is no one or minor varying answer.

Sad Heather :(

If anyone has an answer for me I'd love it!

5'8/F
    CW 140 lbs
    GW 132 (2008-2009 weight)
    CBF% 22-25% (22 on hand machine 25 on foot machine)
    GBF% 20% (as it was 2008, hand machine)
    Daily exercise: 40-60 min moderate walking and 55 min of elliptical. Elliptical 5x a week, spinning 1 day and then just walking the 7th day. I did Turbo Jam 2007-2010 before my first ever weight gain as a post-adolescent (honeymoon cruise Aug 2009, 8 lbs gained in 10 days so about 5000 cals eaten a day)... perhaps I should return to a more toning exercise...
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Saturated fats are not the "bad" fats................The canola oil and other vegetable oils you use are the bad fats.

Decades of medical research would argue that point.

Those decades of research were and still are very skewed and unfounded. I am at work and on my phone, but when I get home this afternoon I will post my scientific backing that I have thoroughly researched.

The whole low fat agenda was based on very biased and information was not even fully analyzed after it was collected. If it had, the low fat way would have never come about.
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    40/40/20 (Carb/Protein/Fat)
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Well that's a bummer that it's several people who have high fat intake. Other than those w/ insulin problems this thread has really depressed me that we are so off the wall from one another so then there is no agreement about how to lose weight other than exercise and don't pig out.

It makes that whole 1200 calorie minimum goal fight we all have seem completely pointless when its obvious we are all doing something wrong... or right when it comes to weight loss nutrient proportions and there is no one or minor varying answer.

It's not sad at all. We are all so different and unique! Not one thing will work for everyone! Our genetics, our bodies, our lifestyles, are all very different, so ofcourse it's going to take a different way of eating to work for different people. There is no quick fix, you find out what made you fat, and you fix it, end of story. It's not going to be the same for everyone. I absolutely love all the different numbers. that means that someone is taking the time to experiment with what works for them, instead of just taking mfp's setting and assuming it's set in stone. and a healthy clean diet without starchy carbs and sugar is great for anyone! not just diabetics! eating that way will prevent it too ya know.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options

which brings us to the #1 answer:
    y'gotta do what works for YOU!
    Screw the rest of the world. Grab the ball and run like hell.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Why be sad? It hours to show how much we are all bio-individually different and unique. That is something to celebrate and respect.

But all in all, the 1200 calorie goal to me is pointless. Counting calories to me is pointless unless you partake in eating processed foods.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    But surely it's consolation that we're all different and different things work for different people? I think it also has a lot to do with your ultimate goal - reversing medical conditions, taking off weight fast, fuel for tough work outs, feeling cleaner and healthier, increasing energy, improving libido, etc. - most may be here primarily for weight loss but most everyone has other motivations too and I personally have found that what I eat has much bigger implications to how I feel than just weight loss....
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    There is no quick fix, you find out what made you fat, and you fix it, end of story.

Ugh... I know your heart’s in the right place so I won’t bit** you out but just a side note I AM NOT FAT. 140lbs, 5'8 BMI 21, BF 22-25% (hand vs foot measurement/machine). I just happened to gain 8 lbs for the first time in my life in 2009 (other than childhood growing obviously) after losing some 2007-2008 also for the first time so it's a rough emotional ride now.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    There is no quick fix, you find out what made you fat, and you fix it, end of story.

Ugh... I know your heart’s in the right place so I won’t bit** you out but just a side note I AM NOT FAT. 140lbs, 5'8 BMI 21, BF 22-25% (hand vs foot measurement/machine). I just happened to gain 8 lbs for the first time in my life in 2009 (other than childhood growing obviously) after losing some 2007-2008 also for the first time so it's a rough emotional ride now.

I'm pretty sure that was a universal "you" and not specifically you you....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    With conclusions drawn from a data set missing relevant data and that data was knowingly and willfully omitted. Lot's of back peddling happening around fats, cholesterol, etc.. And we will never hear a reversal on much of it because it would destroy many economies. It's easier to hold your ground promoting a diet that makes people sick that supports food producers that supports the medical and pharmaceutical companies vs putting millions out of work, crashing markets, and destroying the economies of entire countries. /rant
    [/quote]

I've worked with medical data for almost 30 years now. Not as a clinician or researcher, just a lowly data analyst, but I've read enough studies - the actual studies, not just the snipits on the news - to know that's simply not true of all studies. Sure some studies have been flawed. But there is plenty of valid medical data out there to prove that whole grains and poly- and mono- unsaturated fats are good for us. But even if there weren't, my own health checkups are enough to keep me eating them.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I don't think that low carb is right for everyone, some people have great metabolism and run efficiently on sugar as fuel (grains)esp if they are active and burn it right up

I think that is right to a large degree. I have seen no convincing evidence which outrides the energy balance equation (calorie in v calories out) However, is undoubtedly true that some people find it easier to lose weight switching to a higher protein intake (the fat part I find a little dubious but I can live with it) in place of carbs. That is not to say that they could not lose weight with a higher carb intake, just they would find it more difficult and who wants that?

Personally, I do not think low carb could ever be a true global phenomenon given the food security of much of the developing world depends very much on carbs and grains but it may reach the mainstream in Western societies at some point (I guess us people living or orginating from SE Asia will just have to keep taking the blue pill...) If it works for people then it is nice to have another option to choose from.
  • heathersmilez
    Options

I'm pretty sure that was a universal "you" and not specifically you you....

Most likely but that's what being so focused on nutrition does to a person, the focus is ALL on YOU YOU YOU. It's a childish mentality but that's the road to skinnyness, focusing on you and the occasional or frequent comparison to the rest of the world. We're all human, can't deny peeping at others ;)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Heather, don't be sad. This is just proof that we are all different. (And wouldn't life be so boring if we weren't all different?) There are all kinds of answers here because there are all kinds of things going on in the body and one minor variation in a process can throw the whole works into a tailspin. Food, just like exercise, is medicine and can be used to treat a number of issues in the body. Depending on the illnesses, the ratios change dramatically! As you know, I'm a high carb person. But I have medical reasons for having to be low fat (family history of heart disease and cancer and a personal cancer scare when I was a teenager and eating a higher fat diet) and low protein (donating a kidney and can't overstress it first or the one I have left after), so I have to be high carb for those reasons and not just because I'm a very active person. If I wasn't as active as I am, those carbs wouldn't be used properly and I'd be storing some of them as fat. Someone with diabetes, however, has to monitor not just sugar, but also protein because diabetes is so rough on the liver and kidneys, so they will have to have a higher fat diet to make up the difference in what they are having to cut in carbs and protein. Someone with IBS, Crohn's, etc. with diarrhea as a symptom will have to cut fiber (to <10 grams per day which is tough to design a diet for!) so they are going to be a lot lower in carbs and may have to increase protein to prevent wasting of the muscles where they are breaking them down to produce the glycogen needed for their activity. Someone with malabsorption issues (cystic fibrosis, celiac disease, lactose intolerance, etc.) will have to adjust their diets to prevent symptoms from what they are having issues with, which can vary dramatically.

My point is that when you look at these percentages, remember that the differences aren't based on a goal of weight loss, but on the needs of the individual body. Weight loss is more about calories. Macronutrient distribution is more about health issues.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    It makes that whole 1200 calorie minimum goal fight we all have seem completely pointless when its obvious we are all doing something wrong...

It is pointless unless you fit that number derived from a huge average of diverse data personally. By personally I mean that 1200 is a number you dialed in specifically to yourself. I remember when 1200 was actually under 1000. Your low number is going to be related to current maintenance calories at any given point in time and be the number at which point your body will start taking protective measures. Remember, we are far from clones of each other so drawing a hard line in the sand like 1200, BMI, only suits a few purposes ..to keep people safe in general, find an average that reasonably indicates healthy, a. Yet, we are similar enough that we will react to things, whether good or bad for us, in a similar manner(Food, Medicine, Toxins, stress, etc..)

When you see higher fat percentages, they still often differ from person to person. I don't even do mine as a ratio to begin with. A ratio is just something the represents a relationship. I set my carbs to how many gram max I want to consume, same for protein, rest of energy need has no other place to fall besides fat. So when I pick 60g carbs, 100g protein, and the rest fat to get the amount of calories I want, it can be expressed as a ratio.

You need to make little changes over time and note the affects, if any. It's life long 'cuz even age will change what you need to do.
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    My point is that when you look at these percentages, remember that the differences aren't based on a goal of weight loss, but on the needs of the individual body. Weight loss is more about calories. Macronutrient distribution is more about health issues.

So well said Tonya, as always ;)

I think I should utilize some of my nutritional/RD coverage through work and see what percentages they concoct for me not having any medical issues personally or through my family. I'd hire you if you were in the area I swear :)