Anyone else trying low carb?

Options
Hi there! Is anyone else out there doing low carb? I've been living a low carb lifestyle for a while now but haven't been losing as much weight as when I first started. Let's trade tips and advice! ☺️ Also, feel free to add me!!

Replies

• blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I do low carb (for med reasons)

There is a low carb forum for people doing low carb but feel free to add me!
  • Bjennin7
    Bjennin7 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    blukitten wrote: »
    I do low carb (for med reasons)

There is a low carb forum for people doing low carb but feel free to add me!

Ohh I must not have seen it!! I added you :) Now let me find that forum...
  • 1bellringer1
    1bellringer1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Find dhoffman5 on here and send her a friend request. She is all about low carb and is one of my friends on here. She runs a fantastic page on Facebook all about low carb and recipes, friend her on here and she will send you the link there, it's a closed group. Great group of folks and lots of fun and motivating. My doc to me to go low carb when I first started a couple months ago and I dropped my first 10 lbs pretty quick but new it's slowed. I'm good with that, still losing 3-4 a month and 16 total over 13 weeks. Good luck!
  • Bjennin7
    Options
    Find dhoffman5 on here and send her a friend request. She is all about low carb and is one of my friends on here. She runs a fantastic page on Facebook all about low carb and recipes, friend her on here and she will send you the link there, it's a closed group. Great group of folks and lots of fun and motivating. My doc to me to go low carb when I first started a couple months ago and I dropped my first 10 lbs pretty quick but new it's slowed. I'm good with that, still losing 3-4 a month and 16 total over 13 weeks. Good luck!

I actually don't have a FB page (personal choice) :)
    I'll have to find this person!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Ohh I must not have seen it!! I added you :) Now let me find that forum...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

starts stopwatch for appearance of nipples.......
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to keep my carbs at about 100 for the last 3 months (more like a paleo diet). I have lost alot of fat and gained alot of muscle with my strength training. The added benefits of low carb is I do not feel hungry all day long and my metabolism is higher that it would be without it.

It is natural that you are losing less as you get closer to your goal. I do not think you can do much about that.

Tips? I'm not sure other than portion control for me. In addition to eliminating carbs and replacing with fats & protein, I will have less carbs and sugars by stacking meat on half a roll and such. I can eat one doughnut in 6-8 servings. I don't know how but I can eat half a Girl Scout Samoa cookie at lunch and save the rest for later.

Here are some of my favorite lower carb foods: homemade chicken soup, chicken breast on salad, beef & bean chili, chicken chili.

Sometimes I also have bacon / egg / sausage in a bowl, steak-ums (half roll and half serving tater tots), beef tacos (crunchy, or two tacos in one tortilla), or a few slices of summer sausage & cheese (no crackers)... but I try to limit those because they are so high in animal fat.
  • lovelaughrun
    lovelaughrun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Are you replacing the carbs with enough good fats? Also, look in to calorie cycling, I find confusing my body with some days being higher calories than others the key to kicking things up. I'm also a fan of fasted exercise - I wake up and head straight to the gym. Then eat my carbs in the morning. each to their own, that's what works for me :)
  • Bjennin7
    Options
    Are you replacing the carbs with enough good fats? Also, look in to calorie cycling, I find confusing my body with some days being higher calories than others the key to kicking things up. I'm also a fan of fasted exercise - I wake up and head straight to the gym. Then eat my carbs in the morning. each to their own, that's what works for me :)

In terms of the fats, I sure am! I eat avocados, eggs, and fish regularly :) so yummy.

I will sometimes get cramps if I exercise on an empty stomach for some reason, but I have heard that exercising before breaking your fast and then getting most of your carbs in then is good. I should kick this habit up a notch.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to keep my carbs at about 100 for the last 3 months (more like a paleo diet). I have lost alot of fat and gained alot of muscle with my strength training. The added benefits of low carb is I do not feel hungry all day long and my metabolism is higher that it would be without it.

It is natural that you are losing less as you get closer to your goal. I do not think you can do much about that.

Tips? I'm not sure other than portion control for me. In addition to eliminating carbs and replacing with fats & protein, I will have less carbs and sugars by stacking meat on half a roll and such. I can eat one doughnut in 6-8 servings. I don't know how but I can eat half a Girl Scout Samoa cookie at lunch and save the rest for later.

Here are some of my favorite lower carb foods: homemade chicken soup, chicken breast on salad, beef & bean chili, chicken chili.

Sometimes I also have bacon / egg / sausage in a bowl, steak-ums (half roll and half serving tater tots), beef tacos (crunchy, or two tacos in one tortilla), or a few slices of summer sausage & cheese (no crackers)... but I try to limit those because they are so high in animal fat.

You are not losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. You can't gain muscle in a deficit.

Going "low carb" does not increase metabolism.
  • Bjennin7
    Options

Ohh, all this talk of food is making me hungry... I eat 40 grams or less per day, but haven't even been on this for a week. I once was doing 10 grams or less per day last year but I would get shaky and feel ill... Definitely wasn't doing it right.

Portion control is so hard for me because I'm always so hungry after a workout!! I eat so much!! It gets easier for me to control my portions the longer I stay low carb, however. I also find that I don't feel as hungry or get ravenous the longer I'm on low carb... Can't wait to get to that point agsin^^
  • Bjennin7
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

You are not losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. You can't gain muscle in a deficit.

Nothing you said made sense scientifically or biologically. Maybe you could elaborate on what you are trying to say with sources or more explanation.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a paleo / primal diet for about 4 years and lost weight very slowly, just by cutting out the sugar, bread, grains and starchier veggies. I did not count carbs back then, but did notice that food cravings diminished considerably, so it was easy not to cheat. I could even practice intermittent fasting 1-2 times /week. But when my weight loss stalled, I decided to try keto and it has been working to kick start the weight loss again, especially since I signed up for MFP last week in order to track my macros more accurately. I am now aiming for 20 g carbs or less per day. I think the key to getting this to work is to raise your healthy fat intake ( including saturated fat from good sources) so that you do not get hungry. There are lots of great keto blogs with recipes and tips, you just have to look for them and give it a try. For now keto and IF are working for me, they may work for you too !
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Nothing you said made sense scientifically or biologically. Maybe you could elaborate on what you are trying to say with sources or more explanation.

How is what I am saying not making sense?

When you are losing weight, you are in a calorie deficit. You do not gain muscle in a calorie deficit. Therefore, you are not losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time.

Reducing your carbs does not increase your metabolism (nor does increasing them).

• nicologica1
    nicologica1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    HI ladies. I've been on a moderate paleo diet for the lady two and a half weeks now, I'd say about 80%. I don't suffer so much with cravings at all apart from the last couple of days due to time of the month. How do you cope with that annoying time? Feel free to add me to share ideas, motivation or just even for a moan and groan session
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    I forgot one more thing. It's good to hear from people eating in a similar way and not get bashed for eating low carb. My first comments the other day on another thread were criticized rather harshly and I wondered why I signed up for MFP if differing opinions are not respected and support from others may not happen. Isn't this why we are here ?...to learn from each other and offer support. I have found in my experience with weight loss, that it does matter significantly how I structure my calories. It's not all just about calories in and calories out, and I believe wholeheartedly that LCHF is the way to go for good health and weight loss. My energy level is way up eating this way too, and I feel happier and not deprived while losing weight. Thanks.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
  • Bjennin7
    Options

When you are losing weight, you are in a calorie deficit. You do not gain muscle in a calorie deficit. Therefore, you are not losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time.

Reducing your carbs does not increase your metabolism (nor does increasing them).

Because I researched what you typed and found the opposite of everything you stated. I'm just wondering what your source of information is.

Busting the 'you can't build muscle while in a caloric deficit' myth can be found here: www.livestrong.com/article-you-can-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/

As for metabolism, increasing or decreasing metabolic rates aren't the focal point of dietary ketosis, but rather what your body metabolizes first and how efficiently it does so. So I suppose in this sense it would depend on the individual (how much muscle the person has/is building, as muscle does increase your resting metabolic rate, what the person eats specifically, etc.)
  • Bjennin7
    Options

Whoops, the link I sent is the wrong one. Try this one! : http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-you-can-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/
  • kiwiOT
    kiwiOT Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do low carb as according to the 'Skinny Rules' of Bob Harper ie No carbs after lunch. So I do eat carbs for breakfast and lunch but not dinner. The theory behind it is that good healthy low GI carbs are needed for energy and for keeping your blood sugars normal throughout the day when you need energy so it makes sense to add it to your first and second meals but come evenings as most of us are more sedentary and at home relaxing theres no need for it. I spoke to my 85 year old grandmother about this who heard what I was doing and she told me that that was the norm in western culture when she was younger (She's British), whereby the largest meal of the day was taken at lunch and called "Dinner" and in the evening the meal was much lighter and called "Supper". So Ive switched my lunch and dinner meals the other way round. I eat my main carb & protein meal at lunch and eat all veg and a little bit of protein for dinner. I used to not care about what kind of carbs I eat but now I stick to whole grain pasta, whole oats, brown or basmati rice and more "hippie" grains like barley, quinoa and buckwheat. And I definitely do not eat prepackaged pasta's that come in a 'Kraft' label or in a bag or jar.
    I don't think zero carbs is at all a long lasting method. For sure you'll lose weight fast but I bet my right arm you will not sustain it and may well screw up your pancreas in the process and you'll likely gain all that weight back. Ive always been suspicious of people who try to eliminate entirely healthy food groups and demonise them in the process. Carbs are NOT evil its the TYPE of carb you eat..
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It's hard to build muscle. I'm confused about the role of carbs since much bulking info seems to say to eat a lot of carbs to help the fats and proteins build muscle. But I've been hearing more people say we have no minimum bodily requirement for carbs as we do with protein and fats. A calorie is a calorie and thus fuel regardless of the source. That's what I'm starting to think anyway.

I'm doing 100 g carbs and under this month and so far like it. Only trying to lose a few pounds. Not really sure how much I've lost since switching. Maybe one day I'll try keto when I'm cutting again.

There seems to be a general consensus that you can only strengthen muscle when cutting calories and thus have to eat in a surplus to gain muscle. I haven't seen the actual science though but it sorta makes sense...sorta. Some people do recoups, where they basically try to build muscle without really going into a bulk and gaining fat. They cut their body fat while doing it. But it takes more time than to just bulk and cut.