MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    31157-Sweet-Dee-NO-gif--Its-Always-S-EYGJ.gif

giphy.gif

:p

That guy's face is so weird.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    After reading the thread, I suspect that you are too focused on calories alone. Are you getting enough protein, fat and fiber? These are the things that will keep you feeling full.

By low-calorie snacks, do you mean things like 100-calorie snack packs? Those kinds of foods are just empty calories--they won't really help to keep you full. A better choice would be something with protein/fat/fiber. Examples: an apple with a little peanut butter; yogurt and a pear, cherries, etc.; a handful of nuts and a small piece of cheese; hummus and some veggies (carrots, red pepper, pea pods...you get the idea.

Hydration is really important too--if you are active, you may need more than 8 glasses of water a day.

Are you eating a substantial breakfast? This can really help to keep away the urge to snack later in the day.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    busseybl wrote: »
    This forum is actually helpful to me. I will start trying to eat more, but if I'm full of low calorie veggies, I don't see why I need to add higher calories foods to get my counts up. Maybe I'll try doubling my protein and lowering my veggie consumption to get more calories in.

In your first post, you say your current pill isn't doing much for appetite suppression and you ask for recommendations for another. If you are full, why are you seeking appetite suppression recommendations?

Because I would like to eat even less. I wanted to cut out snacks. This forum has made me rethink my strategy.

Based on your diary, you are eating a lot of snacks. Your meals are small and probably not very filling.

I would try eating something like this:

8AM: 2 eggs and 1 slice of bacon, on a 100 calorie english muffin.

10AM: 100 calorie Greek yogurt with fresh fruit

1PM: 3 ounces deli meat and a slice of cheese on a low calorie wrap (I use Josephs) with your favorite veggies. A serving of chips if you have room for it.

4PM: 1/2 cup oatmeal with flaxseed

7PM: 3 oz chicken breast, 100 grams sweet potato, and 100 grams asparagus.

9PM: Whatever fits in the calories you have left

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Pharmacist here, and no, I do not have any recommendations for appetite suppressants.
    Just eat enough fat and protein to satiate you in your daily calorie allotment?
    This is what works for me. Avoiding a low fat diet is what helps me control my appetite. I have a 1200 calorie daily goal, and I'm rarely hungry. I owe a lot of that to eating enough fat. I used to think I needed to eat low fat everything (thanks 1980's), and I was so hungry and miserable all the time. Much happier now, and much more successful at losing weight.
    FYI, 1200 calories is still pretty low.

Some people won't lose weight unless they eat 1200 calories.

• uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    giphy.gif

^This^ says it all for me, sorry can't say much, but feel i should. Been down that highway, seen others go there (back in the 80's), heard too much scary stuff. But, Good luck 2 u anyway. I'm interested in hearing peoples thoughts on diet pills (although i don't want to try them again) I find (as another poster just said) that eating fats and protein helps. Also, exercise (for me that is) and just doing things i'm interested in, keeps the appetite at bay. Not to knock your question though. I'm sure there are many that are interested in a pill that takes the appetite away with out ill effects. That would be truly a money maker.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Pharmacist here, and no, I do not have any recommendations for appetite suppressants.
    This is what works for me. Avoiding a low fat diet is what helps me control my appetite. I have a 1200 calorie daily goal, and I'm rarely hungry. I owe a lot of that to eating enough fat. I used to think I needed to eat low fat everything (thanks 1980's), and I was so hungry and miserable all the time. Much happier now, and much more successful at losing weight.
    FYI, 1200 calories is still pretty low.

Some people won't lose weight unless they eat 1200 calories.

@jkwolly‌ Yes?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your tracker.

Almost everything you eat is packaged/processed. People here will tell you that this is fine as long as you are within your calorie limits...but the thing is, a lot of that stuff is full of salt and carbs without much real flavor.

You might find that you are more satisfied if you eat more whole foods and prepare things on your own that taste better.

One small example: instead of Sabra hummus with pretzels, have it with some fresh veggies: baby carrots, celery, red and orange bell peppers, cherry or grape tomatoes, etc. This doesn't even have to involve much prep. Your calories will be similar, but there is more flavor, texture, fiber, vitamins and it is just more INTERESTING to eat.

I bet that with some small tweaks like this, you can eat around the same calorie level while feeling fuller and more satisfied.
  • uvi5
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately I have tried many in the past and they were all a waste of money. I never saw any difference at all, except maybe for the first day or two. Not worth it, IMO. What is worth it is lifting weights and running (again IMO... I know some hate cardio, but I enjoy it within reason), so you can eat more and don't have to suppress your appetite, but can instead rejoice in it.

If you really have a medical issue that you need appetite suppressants for, then you should see that doctor - otherwise, move more and have fun doing it.

^Yes. This could not be more true for me. I just lifted for the first time today! Hubbies got a full gym in our garage :smile: . He's got me started and I already feel the rush. I can see why he's addicted to it. I'm 47 and he's 68 and is in better shape than most teens I see around where I live. A teenager even said (last summer) to him, when he was in a tank top, muscle shirt "Dude, your ripped". He also can eat whatever he wants and is 6 ft 180 lbs. I am working on not being jealous of him and let him show me. It's also fun doing this together. Well, today anyway. I am hoping i feel the same tomorrow.

I also love to walk like a maniac. But, as you said to the OP, if there's a medical need for them (i would have no idea about this) then a doc would be who to ask. But, then again, maybe there is a poster on Mfp that has had some good and successful experience with something and can share their story.

• uvi5
    Options

I'm actually loving this thread. I used to think (80's) low fat was the key. Not for me. I am eating 1200/day as well and make sure there is some good fat in there and I don't get ravenous. My issue, when I gain, is emotional eating. The good diet that I am following (again with more knowledge from what i'm getting on Mfp) and the exercise is really curing emotional/stress eating and no hunger pangs :smile:

• jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Green tea works wonders for me and its pill free :)
  • uvi5
    Options
    31157-Sweet-Dee-NO-gif--Its-Always-S-EYGJ.gif

Sorry, just have to say, these .gifs are making my day. I guess laughter and smiling a lot (not meaning at people, i mean with people) curbs my appetite as well. I haven't eaten yet today and i'm still not hungry. But I have not gone for my second walk either. I've been enjoying the threads today as well as learning so much. Oh wait, I did Lift weights for the first time, today! Feels so good to say that. Hope the Op finds a safe solution to his/her situation. Pills are scary.

• uvi5
    Options
    Find a friend prescribed to Adderal

no, no, no, cute, but, no. I know your just kidding, but again, no.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    Find a friend prescribed to Adderal

no, no, no, cute, but, no. I know your just kidding, but again, no.

Also, as someone who takes Adderall legitimately....I eat on it just like I did without. So, don't risk taking something you don't need on an occasionally reported side effect.
  • uvi5
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    This forum is actually helpful to me. I will start trying to eat more, but if I'm full of low calorie veggies, I don't see why I need to add higher calories foods to get my counts up. Maybe I'll try doubling my protein and lowering my veggie consumption to get more calories in.

If you are "full," on so few calories, then why do you want an appetite suppressant?

2-3 pounds per week is TOO FAST for someone your size. You are losing muscle mass, not just fat. SLOW DOWN. Seriously, your Very Low Calorie program (something that is expressly against the rules here, FOR GOOD REASON) is dangerous, unsustainable, and frankly a fast track to nowhere but constant yo-yo dieting, bingeing, and guilt.

Go for a small caloric deficit, eat back about half of what MFP says are your exercise calories and BE PATIENT. There is no finish line. You are going to be eating for the rest of your life, and if you want to stay fit for that time, you need to learn to moderate and eat in a way that you CAN for the rest of your life. Rushing weight loss makes no sense.

Wow, I am learning stuff that I did not know or understand, so thank you OP for starting this thread. I am learning about eating back calories that are burned and once the exercise became fun the constant walking and getting control of logging calories. I really did not understand this myself. Another good thread today!
  • lindsey852
    Options
    Ive been doing this fitness pal thing for 51 days in a row. But I felt like I needed a little help with what I was doing. So I went to the dr and she prescribed me a suppressant called phentermine 37.5 its def boost your metabolism and you don't or should I say I don't eat much with taken it. I went to my two weeks check up to see how its helping me and I lost 7 lbs in twp weeks on top of low carb high protein diet and exercise idk where those lbs went but thats what I lost so far on those pills . I only consume about 5-800 calories a day cause when I work my butt off I geel guilty putting anything in my mouth but water. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    lindsey852 wrote: »
    Ive been doing this fitness pal thing for 51 days in a row. But I felt like I needed a little help with what I was doing. So I went to the dr and she prescribed me a suppressant called phentermine 37.5 its def boost your metabolism and you don't or should I say I don't eat much with taken it. I went to my two weeks check up to see how its helping me and I lost 7 lbs in twp weeks on top of low carb high protein diet and exercise idk where those lbs went but thats what I lost so far on those pills . I only consume about 5-800 calories a day cause when I work my butt off I geel guilty putting anything in my mouth but water. :)

That's not really smile-worthy hon. That's disordered thinking. Food is fuel.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    lindsey852 wrote: »
    This post gave me hunger headache.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your tracker.

Almost everything you eat is packaged/processed. People here will tell you that this is fine as long as you are within your calorie limits...but the thing is, a lot of that stuff is full of salt and carbs without much real flavor.

You might find that you are more satisfied if you eat more whole foods and prepare things on your own that taste better.

This. I am not nearly as satisfied with packaged foods. Stop scanning the bar codes and start weighing some whole foods.