A short rant about many of the posts I have been seeing here. May come off as harsh but must be said

Options
joejward95
joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
As said in the title.This post IS going to come off as harsh, and rude and probably quite bigoted to some of you. But this needs to be said because otherwise a load of you are NOT going to make it, and I hate seeing people not fulfill their maximum potential, this is also NOT aimed at all(or even many)of you, but a specific group of people.

I should also say that in September I was 260 lbs and a hair below 6'1, lazy 18 year old kid, making excuses left right and center as to why I was overweight . Since then I am now down to 180lbs. Regularly compete in bouldering tournaments and am doing a marathon in June. So I was in the position that some of you are in now. Since then, I have grown the hell up and taken responsibility like an adult.

Okay, so recently I have been seeing a ton of posts about people making excuses as to why the can't lose weight .I've heard it all in only the last week!
"But I have an under active Thyroid!"

"My Carb cycle is off"(whatever the hell that is supposed to mean)

"I'm sleeping at the wrong times!"

"I'm eating healthily and not losing"

The list goes on and on and on.... endlessly. Its getting tiresome commenting to these people to tell them what they're doing wrong.

Weight loss is 90% diet, and of that it is 100% about the calories you eat vs the calories out.If you plan on complaining on here about not losing weight, first try taking 250 calories off what you're eating, because if you're gaining or maintaining when you want to lose weight I guarantee you are eating too much. I don't care about your excuses, you are eating too much.Eat less and you will lose weight, you're not some special snowflake who can overcome the laws of physics. Its just not going to happen. If its been 2 months and you claim you've been eating a deficit and not lost any weight they you're either deluded, dont know how to use a scale or a liar. It is as simple as that.

Another thing that I have noticed is people asking for motivation. First of all let me preface, I am not talking about the posts of people asking for weight loss/exercise buddies, that is fine.It can be nice to have a bit of motivation with someone to lose with, but it is NOT required. The fact is, you're a grown adult. At the end of the day, it is down to you to do it. if you're sitting here saying you're not losing because you're not motivated then deal with it. Speak to a doctor to see if you need medical help(I suffered from depression for years but I did the adult thing and got treated). If you want to lose weight and get in better shape it is only down to you. If no one is there to motivate you, who cares? That doesn't stop the laws of physics. If this is the excuse you're using then you don't want it enough. Its as simple as that. You get ZERO credit for wanting to lose weight and improve yourself. Anyone can do that, you only get credit for achieving your goals.

Tl;dr: Stop whining and take responsibility for your weight loss. You're a grown adult, deal with it like one. Show some self control, and if you can't then you don't deserve to be in shape. Your body will react to how you treat it.Lack self control? You're going to be fat and deserve to be like that.

Bring on the anger. I don't care what it takes you to motivate yourself, but just find a way, because otherwise you're going to die(probably young) never doing any of the things your body is capable of , and then what was even the point?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're new here aren't you?
  • joejward95
    Options
    Nope, ive been on MFP since September, but Ive noticed a spike in these posts.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I read the forums but don't really contribute to the posts of people who say they're not losing but have every excuse under the sun as to why they're not weighing their food, logging calories, etc etc. However I remember being like that so try not to judge too harshly.

Also, as the OP quite rightly says, I am only responsible for my own weightloss. So not really too bothered about other peopes 'weightloss journeys'.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    I think that was well said (if a little harsh sometimes). There are always exceptions to the rule though, but generally these comments are true and sometimes people need tough love to get them going. If it motivates just one person it has been worth it
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    It's not quite that simple Joe.
  • joejward95
    Options
    2essie. This was the reason I made this post. If it get just one person to start seeing straight then it was worth 2 mins of my time that I took to post it.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You've lost 80 pounds since September 2014?
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow, you just solved the obesity epidemic. Congratulations!
  • joejward95
    edited March 2015
    Options
    See I know most people would be pissed off at this. Doesn't matter though, hopefully it will get through to just one person who keeps making excuses.

I don't claim to have solved the obesity epidemic. There is no reason to be snarky.Have I said anything that isn't true?

It may be harsh but there are plenty of people here willing to tell everyone "its all okay, you're perfect" and not enough people willing to state a cold hard truth every once in a while.

All I am saying is that people should be responsible for themselves, and not be so reliant on others to motivate them/ find excuses for them not losing weight.
  • bbindigo
    bbindigo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the truth hurts, good post
  • slovie64
    slovie64 Posts: 55 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think weight loss is 100% motivation. If you are in the mindset of "I'm going to DO this" you can easily turn away from the doughnuts and the pizza and the candy. Those choices don't even appeal to me anymore.

I quit smoking almost 6 years ago after being a 2 pack a day smoker. The only way I was able to quit that time, after more than a dozen attempts, is I wanted it. I was motivated. That something in my brain clicked into place and I was able to say "no" to smoking day after day after day.

I feel I am in this same groove now when it comes to my weight loss. No amount of buddies or coaches or friends are going to help me…it's just ME. But I'll tell you, this site is like my new Facebook. I log in everyday, I see and comment on how others are doing. I congratulate those who are succeeding and try to boost those who are struggling. It helps me - it's like my new community.

What finally snapped inside you to get off the couch and start doing whatever it was you did to make it happen? Didn't it feel good when your family commented on how much better you were looking? (Motivation) Didn't it feel great when you fit into a smaller sized pair of jeans? (Motivation).

I read some of these posts too, but I don't judge. I just hope that someday soon those folks find their mojo - their Just Do It.
  • mechanicaljen
    mechanicaljen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why do you let this bother you so much? Just ignore the posts.

Folks sometimes do have legit medical conditions that make losing weight harder (not impossible). Some folks are dealing with depression, and it makes being active that much harder.

You're judging awful harshly considering your age and health. If you can't lift them up, at lest don't tear them down.

(Coming from a 30 year old, with an underactive thyroid, that is losing weight)
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Wow, you just solved the obesity epidemic. Congratulations!

Haha, I was gonna say the same thing. Congrats on having the easiest time losing weight, OP. WOULD YOU LIKE AN AWARD? most of us are on here for motivation and support. Harsh posts like this, deter people from posting anything. Sad really, because The people that need to the most are the ones that won't speak up because of stuff like this. Just know, it isn't as easy for everyone. Consider yourself lucky to not have a third shift job or thyroid disease, or hormonal imbalance. Congrats.
  • marken999
    marken999 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    "you're not some special snowflake" I Beg to differ sir, I AM a special snowflake. Mom always told me so.
  • joejward95
    edited March 2015
    Options
    >Consider yourself lucky to not have a third shift job or thyroid disease, or hormonal imbalance. Congrats.

No, but I am at uni. I spend tons of time studying for my degree. What does having a third job have to do with weight loss? Does your job require you to eat a surplus? In regards to the hormone inbalance,this is pretty damn uncommon.Obviously my post isnt going to apply to 100% of people, nothing ever does. But it applies to a good number of people.

No I don't a damn award.What do I deserve an awards for?Getting to the size I should be? I am not physically exceptional, I am very normal.
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    Now, I'm not saying it's okay to complain constantly or come up with a million excuses. But, it's probably safe to assume people on here (that have been trying for months like you claim) ARE facing some sort of battle. so if you can't walk a mile in their shoes, just ignore their posts and move on. Sounds like you've done a fine job with Your weight loss. But using that line to make others feel bad about their challenges (as you so nicely listed "excuses") isn't really big of you. People do have legit problems that keep them from losing weight.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Lol, ah, youth
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Just lol at your posts and your immense 19 years. You clearly have very little experience of life or recognise that people are different. Not everyone responds to telling it how it is, others have to be encouraged and prefer support. Whilst I might agree with some of the things you have said your manner is going to be too abrasive and counterproductive. Carry on with saving MFP though, maybe when you get to 100 posts you cna retire.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just ignore those threads. Although I do admit that every once in a long while one of those (I've tried everything except...) will rustle my jimmies so much that I post in them

edit
    There are a few legit excuses, but they are the exception
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    joejward95 wrote: »
    >Consider yourself lucky to not have a third shift job or thyroid disease, or hormonal imbalance. Congrats.

No, but I am at uni. I spend tons of time studying for my degree. What does having a third job have to do with weight loss? Does your job require you to eat a surplus? In regards to the hormone inbalance,this is pretty damn uncommon.Obviously my post isnt going to apply to 100% of people, nothing ever does. But it applies to a good number of people.

No I don't a damn award.What do I deserve an awards for?Getting to the size I should be? I am not physically exceptional, I am very normal.

I have no idea what third shift has to do with anything...you're the one that said people complain about their schedules being backwards. I have no clue.

Great :) You're a normal weight. Others will get there. Some are facing real struggles. Way to look like a tool.