Gym help: Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would try talking to him first too, just chit chat, and get to know him first. I see where you are coming from but I also have to wonder if maybe there is a reason he has the routine he does.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    What not to do....

When you see a full grown man using 1kg dumbbells in the weirdest and most restrictive isolation exercises possible ask him if he is rehabbing from an injury.

Because when the answer comes back as "no" you realise you have put your foot right in your molars. Oops!

Agree with conversation first and offer advice only if they want it. If they are doing something potentially harmful (as opposed to a waste of time) then tip off the PTs.

I saw a 1kg dumbbell for the first time ever yesterday, just sitting on the floor between 2 x 10Kg weights

I was a little like "ooo look at the cute little thing"

it was a moment :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What not to do....

When you see a full grown man using 1kg dumbbells in the weirdest and most restrictive isolation exercises possible ask him if he is rehabbing from an injury.

Because when the answer comes back as "no" you realise you have put your foot right in your molars. Oops!

Agree with conversation first and offer advice only if they want it. If they are doing something potentially harmful (as opposed to a waste of time) then tip off the PTs.

I saw a 1kg dumbbell for the first time ever yesterday, just sitting on the floor between 2 x 10Kg weights

I'm not sure I've ever seen a 1kg (2.2lbs) dumbbell at a commercial gym.
    I *might* have seen 3lbs.
    I saw & used the smaller weights at physical therapy but for my regular, lifting, nope.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I've learned to keep my mouth shut, even if somebody is doing something dangerous. Men get defensive when women give them workout advice, and women get catty and think I'm giving them advice on how to get "bulky".

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread and a topic ive nearly posted about several times. You take your chances because some people are more receptive than others. People get very defensive, even though your intentions may be 100% altruistic. maybe build some rapport or at least tread lightly and dont pish it unless they welcome the advice.

99.999% I leave people to do their own thing as its not worth the hassle. I do get concerned if I see someone doing something dangerous or is going to result in an injury.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with what a lot of people have said that striking up a casual conversation first and feeling it out before dishing out advice is a good approach. That being said I would have killed for someone to provide me with a little workout insight when I first started going to the gym.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    What not to do....

I saw & used the smaller weights at physical therapy but for my regular, lifting, nope.

My great-grandmother had 1lb bright pink dumbbells that she would carry on her walks (at 98 years old!). She wrote her name in black sharpie on both of them. I kept them when she died so I have a special place in my heart for little dumbbells. :)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    As an "older" (63) person, I go to the gym everyday and do my own thing, which is 100% more than I was doing 3 years ago. For me, any exercising, is a huge improvement. I would not be offended if someone approached me (so far no one has) with advice.

It is admirable that you are willing to offer the advice to help someone. Go for it. I would be grateful for any tips or pointers. I am reluctant to interrupt anyone else's workout, so I would accept any help.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Id mind my own business and leave the man alone. Whats it too you what he does at the gym?

Are you a gym employee or something?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree with the conversation/ loosely becoming ' gym friends' first. you also might learn if theres a reason hes doing i the way he is.

personally, i almost wish someone would come up on the machines and offer advice to me, as i dont want to ask and bother/interrupt anyone.
  • TheBigFb
    Options
    Hes probably looking at you thinkin " why is this ex army guy staring at me all the time", "Maybe he is Navy" lol
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    As one who is just starting out in the gym, I sometimes wish some one WOULD come offer advice. I feel a little intimidated to ask anyone (who wants to bother someone when they are in their groove, not me!) and I feel silly for asking as I am no young kid. I don't do anything dangerous but some times I feel like I wander a bit LOL. Just the other side of the coin here...

I agree! I wish people would be more willing to offer advice at the gym. All that equipment is intimidating for new people and there isn't always enough staff to go around.

On the other hand, I understand why more people don't offer help or suggestions, as everyone seems to be SO quick to take offense to anything they can possibly take offense to these days.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    Id mind my own business and leave the man alone. Whats it too you what he does at the gym?

As odd as it sounds, some of us feel inclined to help someone who is struggling. If somebody hadn't tapped me on the shoulder to show me the benefits of negative pullups, I'd still be working on my first pull-up all these years later.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents: I have only ever offered advice when I see someone doing something that could really hurt them. I usually start off with "can I make a suggestion?"

Once it was to a lady on the squat rack next to me who was locking her knees out at the top of her squats and i overheard her complaining to her partner that her knees were killing her. Another time was when I was on the treadmill and I was watching a guy and girl use the assisted pull-up. The guy was banging out pull-ups with ease and the girl was really struggling (they weren't changing weights between sets) so I suggested that she increase her weight to help her be able to do them. The last time I said something was when I was stretching by the squat rack and I watched two guys and a girl doing squats. Unfortunately both men were much taller than the lady and they were teaching her how to squat. Her form was fine, the issue was the bar was set too high for her to be able to get the bar off the rack, so I suggested they drop the bar lower.

All instances have been taken gracefully and they have actually all taken my advice. I would suggest with the OPs guy to definitely strike up a conversation to see what he's trying to accomplish if you feel you really need to say something. Although it sounds like he's not in danger of injuring anything, and he may actually be doing scapula retractions which is a PT move to strengthen the back... although it sounds like his form is not the best if that's his goal.

Personally, I would stay out of it on this one.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    alpine1994 wrote: »
    What not to do....

My great-grandmother had 1lb bright pink dumbbells that she would carry on her walks (at 98 years old!). She wrote her name in black sharpie on both of them. I kept them when she died so I have a special place in my heart for little dumbbells. :)

That is insanely adorable.

I cried a little on the inside last week when I had to toss a pad of paper that had my grandfathers handwriting on the back. He passed just over 2 years ago and it was the day before the anniversary of his death. I have other items of his and some that have his handwriting
  • TheBigFb
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

As odd as it sounds, some of us feel inclined to help someone who is struggling. If somebody hadn't tapped me on the shoulder to show me the benefits of negative pullups, I'd still be working on my first pull-up all these years later.

Whats with the as odd as it sounds? You implying Im unhelpful? Way to jump too conclusion.

Are you qualified to be handing out advice to anyone in the gym? Are the exercises for an older person the same as a younger? You could give the man a heart attack. Or you could put him off going altogether, get him thinking, jaysus ive been making a fool of myself, I aint going back. If he asks by all means, other than that leave it too a profession

• TheBigFb
    Options
    and feeling included to help when you may or may not be qualified to do so isnt really being helpful at all now is it
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

Whats with the as odd as it sounds? You implying Im unhelpful? Way to jump too conclusion.

Are you qualified to be handing out advice to anyone in the gym? Are the exercises for an older person the same as a younger? You could give the man a heart attack. Or you could put him off going altogether, get him thinking, jaysus ive been making a fool of myself, I aint going back. If he asks by all means, other than that leave it too a profession

Actually, I am qualified to help. So much for assumptions eh?
  • TheBigFb
    Options
    That was a question, not assumption at all.

Is the OP qualified?

Do you not think people in the gym hand out advice a little freely? As in, they join a gym, get a routine and think if anyone asks I'll show them what I do, as everyone has the same goal, had / has the same injuries etc.

Cause if it okay to do that, then who needs to be qualified right?

• DjinnMarie
    Options
    That was a question, not assumption at all.

Is the OP qualified?

Do you not think people in the gym hand out advice a little freely? As in, they join a gym, get a routine and think if anyone asks I'll show them what I do, as everyone has the same goal, had / has the same injuries etc.

Cause if it okay to do that, then who needs to be qualified right?

I missed where OP said he was going to train somebody long term for a specific goal. He sees a man not using full range of motion and struggling to do one pull up. You don't need credentials to give somebody the most basic of advice. You don't need a certification to suggest that somebody try negative pullups.