Soylent

Options

Replies

• cj2075
    cj2075 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    50452 wrote: »
    So it sounds like most of you sip throughout the day. It's not as if at your designated lunch or dinnertime you drink a meal portion over the interval of time that you would normally eat your meal, right?

I try to drink my Soylent during normal meal time. Once for breakfast and once for lunch with a sensible meal for dinner. Sometimes I crave the American breakfast of bacon, eggs, hash browns, toast, and a glass of OJ. I will just switch it up and drink Soylent for dinner instead that day.

Definitely meals though and not sipping it like a good bourbon..
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That's what I would like to do with it should I choose to use it. One habit that I want to have is regular mealtimes with no in between snaking.
  • darkbeth
    darkbeth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For those of you using/supplementing with Soylent, do you make up one batch and drink it throughout the day, or make it and drink it right away?

If you are going the one-batch route, to you refrigerate it between meals? Or maybe you just sip on it until it is gone?

I make it fresh every morning, and drink it for lunch. I strongly prefer it fresh daily, because experience with day-old Soylent has been a bit unappetizing (it does go bad eventually, and even though it is technically okay up to 2 days, I can tell a difference).
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    darkbeth wrote: »
    For those of you using/supplementing with Soylent, do you make up one batch and drink it throughout the day, or make it and drink it right away?

If you are going the one-batch route, to you refrigerate it between meals? Or maybe you just sip on it until it is gone?

I make it fresh every morning, and drink it for lunch. I strongly prefer it fresh daily, because experience with day-old Soylent has been a bit unappetizing (it does go bad eventually, and even though it is technically okay up to 2 days, I can tell a difference).

I haven't noticed this. I made a batch last Saturday and have been keeping it in the fridge (mind you, I don't add water until I'm ready to drink it). I haven't noticed a change in flavour at all.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Seriously. Is no one going to chime back in and say that real food has better nutrition and can be cheaper? Everyone seemed so intent on convincing everyone that Soylent is a bad idea - that's it's more expensive and less nutritious. I guess no one likes to see the fact in front of them.

Anyone?
    Options
    darkbeth wrote: »

I've had the same experience with fresh, homemade vegetable juices. Even if they are in the fridge, day #2 is never as good as the first 12 hours.

I like the Evolve (I think that's the name) juice I get at WF. They are pressure pasteurized as opposed to heat pasteurized. They last a week or two unopened.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Seriously. Is no one going to chime back in and say that real food has better nutrition and can be cheaper? Everyone seemed so intent on convincing everyone that Soylent is a bad idea - that's it's more expensive and less nutritious. I guess no one likes to see the fact in front of them.

Anyone?

I don't think anyone wants to tell someone what to eat who claims to have allergies to everything and can't spend more than 50 bucks per week on food. You've done a pretty good job rationalizing your decision. But don't kid yourself, in all likelihood this is just a temporary experiment that you'll eventually get sick of. Probably sooner rather than later once the novelty of DIY wears off.

I (and a few others) have already tried to point out the reasons Soylent is probably not a good idea for the average person who cares about long term health or long term weight management. But people who've been caught up in the latest diet fad craze never want to hear that stuff. Unfortunately I doubt the final solution to health involves consuming a diet of almost all maltodextrin, rice protein, liquid mvi's, and some pre-packaged oil du jour.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Anyone?

I really don't understand why you want to pick a fight. And if you really want a fight, just create a post that says you can lose weight on this stuff even if you're in a calorie surplus. Otherwise, eat what makes you happy...
  • chivalryder
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »

Anyone?

I don't think anyone wants to tell someone what to eat who claims to have allergies to everything and can't spend more than 50 bucks per week on food. You've done a pretty good job rationalizing your decision. But don't kid yourself, in all likelihood this is just a temporary experiment that you'll eventually get sick of. Probably sooner rather than later once the novelty of DIY wears off.

I (and a few others) have already tried to point out the reasons Soylent is probably not a good idea for the average person who cares about long term health or long term weight management. But people who've been caught up in the latest diet fad craze never want to hear that stuff. Unfortunately I doubt the final solution to health involves consuming a diet of almost all maltodextrin, rice protein, liquid mvi's, and some pre-packaged oil du jour.

I agree with you. It's not a long-term solution and not something anyone should ever consider doing unless certain variables bring them to doing so.

If they have access to, and can afford good, healthy foods, and have the time to prepare their meals, then they should not, and I would never recommend anyone drink Soylent as a means to get their nutrition.

I do not, however, see it as a diet craze or a means to lose weight. If they're drinking this stuff to help them lose weight, they're doing it wrong.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Niff314 wrote: »
    All I know is - Soylent makes it hella easy to fill out my food log. ;)

All I know is- Real food is better.
  • chivalryder
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Niff314 wrote: »
    All I know is - Soylent makes it hella easy to fill out my food log. ;)

All I know is- Real food is better.

Could you support your claim with reasoning (note: please read the rest of this thread and take what has already been said into context)?
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Serious questions:

What does it taste like?
    Can any human eat the same flavour all day, day in and day out for the rest of their lives? (it seems like it's advertised like that on the website)
    How many calories per shake? (I couldn't find that on the website)

They advertise it like it's cheap too but $85/week seems expensive. I purchase about $50 worth of fresh fruits, veggies, meats, some frozen fruits, and some canned items every week (a lot of the food is even consumed into the following week) and that's my grocery bill.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

@50452‌ - I make a pitcher at a time, 64 ounces total, using 397 grams of my mix, that's one day's nutrition. It chills overnight, and I drink it as two dosings, one in the afternoon, one in the evening after the gym.

I've been working nonstop this week, this is the perfect food for that. I can have this, which is a well formulated and fairly whole food, or I have about enough time to get delivery or fast food. Luckily, my mother in law is here, so I've got plenty of food on hand, but if she wasn't, I'd probably be drinking my whole damn week of food. I swear, I'm breaking out my sous vide stuff this weekend, and a fresh bottle of bourbon.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Serious questions:

What does it taste like?
    Can any human eat the same flavour all day, day in and day out for the rest of their lives? (it seems like it's advertised like that on the website)

They advertise it like it's cheap too but $85/week seems expensive. I purchase about $50 worth of fresh fruits, veggies, meats, some frozen fruits, and some canned items every week (a lot of the food is even consumed into the following week) and that's my grocery bill.

There essentially is no real "flavour" to it. It's bland and tasteless.

What you said is one of the things the creator is going for. People get bored of the same taste over and over again. Therefore, he tried to make it as tasteless as possible (though it's not like toilet water). The maltodextrin makes it slightly sweet, so it goes down easily.

I don't know how many calories per shake there is. I use the DIY variant (I made my own recipe) and I drink 2000 calories/day.

My recipe also costs me $50/week. Where you live must be pretty inexpensive. I can't get 2000 calories/day worth of meat, fruit and veggies without spending $70-$100/week.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @dbmata‌ considering you make your own hams, bacon, etc. I'm kind of surprised you're do excited about non food sustenance.

Regardless, I think most people agree that you've proved your point and that's why Noone is coming back to refute it.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Serious questions:

What does it taste like?

What you said is one of the things the creator is going for. People get bored of the same taste over and over again. Therefore, he tried to make it as tasteless as possible (though it's not like toilet water). The maltodextrin makes it slightly sweet, so it goes down easily.

I don't know how many calories per shake there is. I use the DIY variant (I made my own recipe) and I drink 2000 calories/day.

My recipe also costs me $50/week. Where you live must be pretty inexpensive. I can't get 2000 calories/day worth of meat, fruit and veggies without spending $70-$100/week.

I live in Canada. I don't consider it cheap to live/eat here. We travel to the states to stock up on foods too (chicken, condiments) because it's much cheaper there and we live near the border. But I do try to buy in bulk in Canada and freeze portions. I just don't think I eat a lot I suppose, and I stock up when deals happen. I also shop at a premium grocery store.

• chivalryder
    Options
    Serious questions:

What does it taste like?

I live in Canada. I don't consider it cheap to live/eat here. We travel to the states to stock up on foods too (chicken, condiments) because it's much cheaper there and we live near the border. But I do try to buy in bulk in Canada and freeze portions. I just don't think I eat a lot I suppose, and I stock up when deals happen. I also shop at a premium grocery store.

I'm in Mississauga. Expensive here.
  • darkbeth
    darkbeth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Serious questions:

What does it taste like?

Taste:
    The original official Soylent tastes very slightly of vanilla. I have read that version 1.4 will be a little different, and I have not tried it yet. As for the original formula, I've yet to tire of it. It's very neutral.

Calories:
    Original Soylent is packaged in a bag with separate oil bottle, each set intended to be a daily amount of Soylent totaling 2010 calories. This is divided into 3 servings, according to the packaging, of 670 calories each.

Soylent 1.4 will combine powdered oil into the bag and contain 2000 calories, divided into 4 servings of 500 each. This is due, according to the company, to most people not eating full servings of 670 calories in one sitting [myself included].

That said, you have control over what size shake you want to drink, so calories are ultimately up to you. I use half servings for my work lunches, totaling 335 calories each, and I ignore their ratios for powder to water, easily doubling the water they recommend for a nicer consistency and extra hydration.
    Options
    I ordered it but know it will be months before I get it. I signed up for a subscription of a two week supply that, I figure, should last me a month. I don't want to replace eating completely, just free up time with food prep and clean up. As long as it is relatively nutritious and sates me between meals, I'm really liking the idea.

I cannot quite understand, yet, how to formulate a DIY version that will fit my needs. There is a Clean Schmoylent version that, along with the recipes I've gotten here, looks interesting.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    @dbmata‌ considering you make your own hams, bacon, etc. I'm kind of surprised you're do excited about non food sustenance.
    Right, I'm an amazing cook, and only miss doing it professionally because I miss the time and access to materials.

I don't view it as a non-food, as its base constituents are all food. For example. People rant, rave, and bloviate about how oatmeal is good for you right? The base for my drink is organic oats I keep store in vaccuum, and then grind precisely what I need to the fineness I want, at the time of making my drink mix. Chia seeds are teh kewlest, right? In there, I grind them immediately prior to mixing. Olive oil and coconut oil are viewed as quality lipids, no? I use cold pressed olive oil and an organic coconut oil. It goes on and on, but everything I'm using is the highest level of quality on the market I can find.

For me it's a matter of time, consistency, and it's right in my wheelhouse. I make weird stuff. The ham, bacon, pate, sausages, meat moussilines, cheese, etc. those are all the old school stuff I do. I engage in a lot of new school stuff now too, particularly molecular gastronomy, and I feel this fits in with that. Depending on which stabilizers I want to use, I can make a particular thickness for mouthfeel, etc. It's a fun gastronomical puzzle, that tastes good and lets me focus time during the weekdays on other things. That's all. If anything, I'd say the worst ingredient in it is my whey protein, I'm using the optimum nutrition performance whey isolate. I'll need to find a better ingredient, but if that's the worst in there, it's pretty dialed in then.