Runners Who Never Thought They'd Run

Options

Replies

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Before this moment, none of the people pictured were runners.
    bear-runner.jpg

ahahahahhaaaa!!

I was talked out of running as a kid (ugh), and subsequently became a speed walker. I never really thought I'd run because really, I just liked building my quads and running kinda sucked. A few years ago, I was having lunch on the waterfront, and a girl ran by. She just looked so graceful. I wanted to fly.

It actually took longer than I thought to catch the love the way I did for walking. It really happened one day. I was running, and I ran past my stopping point. I just kept going.

If it's in your soul like it sounds like it is, you'll love it someday. Don't give up. C25K is a great way to ease into it. Also, try to run beautiful places with a beautiful playlist (I'm listening to my running playlist right now to get me motivated to make dinner lol). Get out of your head; don't think about how much it sucks. That will pass. =)

Good luck!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I actually never wanted to be a runner. Then I started losing weight and became good friends with a bunch of runners. I started cycling and everyone encouraged me to take up running to complement my cycling (strong bones and all that). I started C25K and haven't looked back since. I was the kid in school that always had to walk much of the mile run test. And C25K was hard for me, really hard, but I love a challenge. I just ran my first half marathon. I have 2-3 more on the calendar for this year, and plan to do a full marathon next spring. I would have never thought in a million years. I love it. Even on the rough days where I run way past my happy place. I am that lady always with a smile on my face, a high five or "way to go" or good morning for everyone, jamming to the tunes while out on a run or in a race. Running makes me happy. Go for it!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    It can be done. No doubt. I know this first hand.

First, I have been fat most all of my life. Only in good shape when I was 23 and younger, but even then was overwieght. I tried getting into running when I was 18 or 19, but always developed a nasty case of shin splints and would stop. When I was 23 years old I had a knee injury that sidelined me for a long time, and I never got back into good health after that, always assuming I would trash my knee if I tried being too active.

January 2nd, 2014 I had just turned 42, weighed 316 pounds and was determined to be borderline diabetic, put on Metformin to help out and told to eat no more than 120g total carbs per day. I did this and started losing weight at a surprising rate.

On April 3rd, 2014 I had finished a follow-up appointment, weighing 284 pounds (32 lost in 3 months). My numbers were all better on my blood labs. I assumed I would soon hit a plateau on my weight loss and wanted to continue, so I decided to start a regular routine of walking. I walked 2 miles that day.

I continued walking nearly every day, increasing my mileage as soon as I felt the current distance was no longer a challenge. I wanted to feel like I worked out with my walks. I was walking 3 miles each time by the end of that first month, and by the end of May the next month was walking 4 miles and had begun walking EVERY day. By the end of June I was going 6 miles every day, taking about an hour and 50 minutes each time.

I suspected at some point I might not have enough time in the day to keep pushing myself further by walking alone. I began wondering while on my walks what I would do to go higher impact. The thought of running crossed my mind and I laughed, literally laughed at myself for the thought. My knees could never take up running! Especially at this age! So I assumed biking would be my next choice.

So July 9, 2014 rolls around and I go on my 6 mile walk. I was needing to either walk further or move on to my next activity like biking but I was strapped at that time, could not afford a bike. I decided to run for short bursts during my walk.

Looking back at the data for that day, and in the next few runs afterward, I would only run for a minute or so each time, if that. I ran 13 times this way on that walk. I kept doing this on each successive walk. However I did learn from some soreness that I should not do this EVERY day like I had been doing with walking. So I switched to running/walking 3 or 4 times per week.

By the end of July I realized I was regularly walking/running 6 miles all the time so I could complete a 10k with no problem, and live the rest of my life knowing I had actually done a 10k! So I signed up for one. By my final run before the race the longest single run burst I had completed was just under 1 mile.

September 20, 2014 was the date of my 10k. I had never run in a race and was told I should start towards the back and just pace myself with people as long as I could. I did exactly that, keeping up with those around me as we started. I passed mile 1 and kept going. It was at that point a personal record. I reached mile 2 and kept going! By the time I reached mile marker 3 I knew that there was no reason I could not actually run the whole way unless I just collapsed...and that was what I was focused on for the rest of the race. I completed the whole 10k running in 1 hour, 17 minutes and 41 seconds! I was SO TIRED, but SO PROUD! I can not describe the feeling in words.

That day proved a lot to me. I could run further than my mind previously was telling me. I could run so much further than I thought without dying or injuring myself! Granted, I was quite sore that night and the next day. But I recovered.

Knowing I could run 6 miles and being familiar with the concept of 10% increases per week (and also having looked at Hal Higdon running plans), I looked at upcoming races. In my mind I wondered if I could do a half marathon before the end of the year. The latest one in the year that I found in town was scheduled for November 15th, 8 weeks away. I realized I could actually follow such a training plan and reach that mileage in time for that race, so I signed up!

The next few weeks were a little harsh, I admit. I struggled to get further than 6 miles, and in the process learned a lot more about my body, and how to fuel it. One thing I will credit running for, it has taught me more about my physiology than any courses I ever took in school (Granted, I'm an IT guy, not my forte).

I managed to reach 12 miles as my longest distance run prior to the half marathon. I had great confidence I could do it. And I did, finishing in 3 hours and 9 seconds.

Those last few weeks ahead of that half marathon I looked back at the changes I went through over that one year alone, from January to then in November. It may sound strange, but I am not so much proud as I am humbled by it. I can do this, I know it now. I am pushing myself further still. I keep doing it because I still can. I don't know why I never did this before, especially some 20 years ago when all of this would have been easier. But I can do it, and I plan to never look back. If I step back, I can always look ahead again.

It is possible. I encourage you to just do it. Not trying to sound corny. Just start with what you can do, and just keep going.

Sorry for such a long post.

Awesome story! :-) I don't even know you, but am so proud of you!!!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Do it! It'll be hard but you won't regret it. I started my weight loss journey because I had a literal dream about running and decided to make it come true. I started with a Couch to 5K app and worked my way through so I could buy the Zombies Run app. I love it. I run just to run, no goal, no races, just me and my body moving through space. I'm really excited that the snow is almost melted so I can finally get back to it again! I miss it.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Running is mostly mental. One day I just started running at a comfortable pace and was able to do thirty straight minutes...just like that. I didn't have to build up the endurance or anything. I was running 5 mph which is really just a jog. That is my comfortable pace, but I will up the speed because my body wants to go faster.

Again, it's mostly mental. The first 5 minutes or so are the hardest, and then your body goes on autopilot. And music helps a lot. Sometimes I will put on songs that will give me an energy boost and I'd add more time to my run. Forget your mind telling you to quit...don't give up unless your body gives out.

A lot of wisdom here! So many people say they can't run more than a couple minutes... but if they'd press through, it would get easier. I liken it to jumping in a freezing lake. It sucks at first, but then you get used to it. Go at a slow enough pace that you can still talk, but then give yourself a few minutes to allow your body to relax and adjust.

OP, the fact you want to be a runner means you CAN be one. As so many of the others have said, running is mostly mental. Can't wait to have you post a follow up one day in the success forums!

• CaterinaThrace
    CaterinaThrace Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to be very fit in high school - my parents pretty much made me play every sport going, and I enjoyed it. But once I'd graduated and started travelling and going to university, things started to slide... Very slowly, as I've never really eaten badly, but after 15 years of not doing any regular sport (AT ALL) and enjoying fine wine and good food - well, do the math.

One Saturday morning this January just gone I got up and went for a walk/run/shuffle. The next day I went on another... And so on and so forth. Now I average about 25 kilometres a week, with that going up week by week. I'm starting to think about my first 5k. I bought a GPS watch...

Thing is, I've only lost 3 kilos in two months (about 5 pounds I think) but I feel AMAZING. I've gone down a size, I am so much fitter, I no longer get achy thighs from just one set of stairs, people are commenting that I've lost weight, and I'm not that bothered that I haven't undergone some sort of dramatic weight loss - I feel like this is the best way (for me) to do it because I can feel myself getting fitter and fitter, my stomach is getting flatter and I don't have to give up too much of the things I like. This was probably the most important part for me to stick with things - I was never going to be able to yoyo diet and restrict stuff like wine and pork belly. Just wasn't going to happen in any sustainable way. So I had to go the 'moderation' route - just cut back a little and exercise as much as I can. And it's been great.

My advice - concentrate on how great it makes you feel after. That any just KNOWING that you're working towards your goal.

Best of luck!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hands down, the best thread I've read all morning. I've also imagined myself a runner and when I did try it once years ago got planar fasciitis terribly bad and never tried it again. But I just bought my first pair of Saucony running shoes and Balega running socks and am going to give it another shot. They've already eliminated the shin pain I was getting from my other shoes. My goal is a 5K this fall. Stenobun, you can do this, too!
  • AbbyJaws2003
    AbbyJaws2003 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was overweight, lazy and lacked motivation. One day I decided to lose weight, and thankfully something just clicked in my head, so I worked hard for a year to lose the weight through diet, but the exercise thing never really kicked in. When I got closer and closer to my goal weight I figured I needed something more than just diet, especially if I was going to maintain the loss. Right around then, a little over a year ago, I learned about the Disney Princess Half Marathon, and what better motivation than running through Disney to get me on the right track! I started running (slowly!) and started signing up for a few races. I did a few 5ks last summer, then a 10k this last fall... I was hooked! Found some fun races to keep me motivated and keep me going. A few weeks ago, I did that Princess Half Marathon, finished in 2:47:45 and that is with some stops for photo ops and personal pictures and say HI to my dad who was at the castle to support me! I enjoyed every moment, and now I am plotting my next runDisney Half! When I got home, I immediately signed up for a bunch more runs so my summer is now filled with 5k's, a 7k, a 10k, 15k (in a few weeks), a 10 miler and another half this fall... and hopefully another Disney race in November. It opened my life up to a whole new level of confidence and fun I didn't think something so simple as running could do.... I was never a runner, I never thought I could be a runner, and although I am not the fastest one out there by a long shot, I am enjoying every step.

My advice is to find some fun races to try, some no pressure fun runs to get into the excitement of what a race can be like and what running can be like. You will be hooked! It gives you a goal to work for, which for me is necessary to keep my lazy self from slipping back. Mostly, enjoy it, have fun, lose yourself in the run!!! It is worth it once it all clicks!
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yep, these stories all reflect mine in some way.

I started the C25K program at the same time I started MFP in August 2014. I weighed 230lbs at 44 years old and couldn't run even the first 60 second interval. But I kept at it, repeating weeks when I needed to.

In November 2014 I ran/walked my first 5k, finishing in 39:47. I was dead last but finished it and going across that finish line was amazing!

Two weekends ago I ran my first "official" 5k race with a bib and timings and everything. I ran the whole distance and finished in 36:10. The next weeknd I ran another race, knowing I'd left some in the tank at the previous race. In the second race I finished at 34:22!

If you'd asked me before I started this process, my answer was that I'd only run if being chased by a bear. Now I want to go faster and farther! My general plan includes as many 5k races as are convenient this year and to look for longer ones with my ultimate goal of running a half marathon this time next year.

You can do it!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm also a C25K fan. I just finished the program this week. If you can walk for 30 minutes then you can do couch to 5k. Go slow. Really slow. I started running at the same speed I was walking. Now I can run 30 minutes straight for a little over 2 miles. I started 80 pounds overweight. You can do this! And believe it or not you will love it.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    That's me! I was 212 lbs when I started and never thought I would like running. I started because I wanted to do a fun run with family and didn't want to be 100% embarrassed.

I started with C25K and it took a few tries before I made it through the program. When I was done with it, I still wasn't running for 5k because the program assumes you can run a 10 minute mile. I found other online training programs to get my distances up gradually (Hal Higdon is one of my go tos for running plans).

Remember to start slow. It doesn't matter if you could walk faster than you are running. Its about building endurance, not speed. I've been running at least 3x a week for over a year and I still can't run a 10 minute mile. Go slow. It's ok. You don't want to injure yourself.

But I agree with everyone who said that its really a mental sport. When I leave the house and feel like I can't do it, I won't do well. If I believe I can, I will finish my run. If I hit a wall, I actually start chanting to myself "I can do this, I can do this". The feeling will pass. I promise. Believe in yourself and you can accomplish anything (with a reasonable training program).

I went from "who would ever run for fun?" to "I can't wait to get home and run tonight!".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Running isn't your issue. It's the amount of weight you're carrying that's hampering you from doing it.
    So lose the weight from calorie deficit (you don't have to exercise to do it) and just WALK to start. As you lose, then increase the speed little by little over time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner. I've hated running ever since I was a kid.

I was always slow. Born with flat feet and a lousy natural stride. I was never as fast as any of my friends, and I loathed running.

I enjoyed sports, but played the ones that didn't require me to outrace anyone. I played catcher in baseball. In football, I was an offensive lineman. I made it worse by thrashing both knees in high school.

As an adult, I thought the only cardio work I could ever do was low-impact stuff... elliptical machines, stair machines, that sort of thing. It worked well enough; I was fit in my 20's.

I let myself go in my 30's. When I turned 40, I was 300 pounds and I had high blood pressure. I needed to make a change. But I live in a rural area; there's no gym nearby, and I couldn't afford to buy equipment.

I was done making excuses. I figured I have miles and miles of open farm roads around my house, and I could use them. So I threw on my crummy Wal-Mart tennis shoes and jogged down my driveway. I made it about 30 yards before I had to slow to a walk.

That's what the first week or two was like. Jog a bit, walk a bit more. Started with a mile. Then two.

When I could jog a mile straight without stopping to walk, I invested in slightly better shoes - still cheap ones from Costco, but they had decent, thick soles, which is what I needed for the dirt and gravel roads I was working on.

In a few weeks I was able to hit two miles uninterrupted. I was offered my sister's spot in a 5k she had registered for, but could not run in due to her advanced pregnancy. I thought it was crazy - me running in an actual race. But I had a goal to train for, and I made it - in November I finished that race in 43 minutes.

I kept training. I ran 3 days a week, and stretched my runs to 3 miles, then 4. My sister wanted to try a 5k again, and we ran last week. I figured I could finish this one in 40, but I set a stretch goal for myself - if I finished in 38 or less, I'd invest in *real* running shoes.

I finished in 37.09. I went out and bought a nice pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 15's - had them properly fitted at a good running store in town where they took exact sizes, analyzed my stride, and let me try jogging in several pairs to find the perfect fit (I highly recommend this, by the way).

It's like night-and-day having good shoes. If you have the means, and you can commit to actually putting them to good use, I highly recommend taking the time and investing the money in getting fitted for the right pair.

I've added strength training to my routine (doing Stronglifts 5x5) and am already targeting another 5k in April. I intend to finish in 35 minutes or less.

I'm a runner now. I'm still slow, but I'm getting faster, and along the way, I've discovered I really love the sport of running.

• JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Read "The Courage to Start" by John "The Penguin" Bingham. It changed my life.
  • glwage
    glwage Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It absolutely can be done! I always viewed running as punishment going back to my high school football days. When I got to the point where I realized I needed to lose weight I started walking which inevitably turned to running. I actually started to enjoy it! I would suggest that you start easy and find a group to run with. Look into the Galloway Running System too. It's run-walk-run-intervals and is especially good for somebody new to the sport who needs to lose weight. Don't go out there and kill yourself! Have fun with it! I have run a half marathon best time of 2:10 using 2:1 run-walk intervals. So don't listen to anybody that tries to pooh pooh Galloway.....and they will! Good luck!
  • gymboreejunkie
    gymboreejunkie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started running to help encourage a friend who said she would like to start. I never liked running, it wasn't my thing. We did the Couch to 5K app (which is wonderful). I would run at my house and she would run at her house and then we'd talk about how exhausing it was but couldn't wait until the next training day. Then my son started playing football so while he was at practice I would run around the football field doing my C25K. At first I was really self concious thinking all the other parents were looking at the "fat Mom" running around the field. Then it hit me... the "fat Mom" is RUNNING around the field.

My friend and I ran our first 5k together on Thanksgiving Day and as I crossed the finish line I cried. Even though it wasn't my goal or dream, I did it. Something I never ever thought I would do, but I did. I'm still horribly overweight, but it is my goal to run the half marathan at DisneyWorld in February next year. Now that the weather is warming up I cannot wait to get out onto that bike path and here the cruch of the peagravel beneath my shoes! Take it one step at a time. Even when you don't think you are making progress, trust me you are!

Enjoy your journey!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I never ran more than about 100meters strait until 3 years ago (I was 25), and those times were when I had to for that freaking mile in gym class, that I always failed. Then I started running as part of weight loss....with my husband....which was a huge mistake. What seemed like and easy 2 miles "anyone should be able to do" was way more than I could handle at the time, and after about 2 weeks I ended up with horrendous shin splints and quit for a while.

The following year I wanted to try again, and being a little smarter this time decided maybe listening to hubby was not the best idea, so I did it myself. I can now run 5ks no problem, I am slow but eventually I will get faster. I walked/ran and half marathon last fall, which was an amazing accomplishment for me. Now I can say I truely enjoy running, something I never ever thought I would say.

The important thing is to start off were you need to start. That might be short distances and slow pace, but being nice to your legs while they adapt to a new exercise will benefit you in the long term over trying to push yourself too hard too fast.

This is a great post someone put together for runners a while back that I fully agree with, you should give it a read

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running

last thing, google and see if your town/area has a local running group. I just found out mine did and joined up and it has been really awesome getting to run with different people and finding buddies who are more my level than my husband. Ours does a semi annual C25K program to help new people get started, maybe you can find something like that so you don't have to go it alone.

~best wishes on your running adventures, feel free to add me if you want a friend who understands :)
  • wiseashh
    wiseashh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started jogging/running about a month and a half ago. At first I just tried to jog without stopping until my body couldnt take it anymore (I could go maybe 3 minutes without stopping, yeah i know, sloooow). I started at 275lbs (5'5). After about 2 and half weeks of doing that I felt like I wasnt getting anywhere and I needed guidance. So, I started using c25k. Im in the fourth week of it now and I can already see results. I am down to 267lbs now. I can now jog/run for 8-10 minutes without stopping! It's definatly hard sometime but it helps if you have a partner with you (I have my boyfriend with me who lost 65lbs in about 4-5 months). The feeling you get when you start to see and feel results when you run is amazing. I never thought I would be where Im at right now and Im excited to go run when before I would have to literally be dragged out the door by my bf lol. It does get easier! Just hang in there.
    Feb-March
    9elby9h84qb8.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth-on a separate side of the coin... I'm not a runner. I was a runner in school- but I've pretty much given up running- I'm a lifter.

I like running- and I do it- but I'm not a runner- I'm actually not even BAD at running

And I still run. and sometimes it sucks. sucks a lot- it takes a lot of motivation for me to go run- verses a small just do it will work to get me to go lift.

So I do not consider myself "a runner" under the label.
    But I still run- on and off- but I still run.

so just a reminder you don't have to get really wrapped up- you don't need to be A RUNNER- to run. You dont' need to be good at it or bad at it. As long as you go DO IT.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Love this Thread!
    Am adding my 2 cents for a C25K app.
    I like the one by Zen Labs