REALLY?

1tmqsbw8pb3x.jpg

WTF.jpg 69.4K

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Because companies would rather hire attractive, normal-weight people to sell clothing than the people who they cater to. It's my mom's main complaint about the clothing catalogs she gets. Plus, why give the better looking suits to plus-size women too?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    That first model is totally photoshopped though. Her proportions are off.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    My issue with the plus sized catalogs is half the clothes aren't even cut the same in larger sizes as they are in the sample for the "plus sized" model. Near my heaviest, I bought a suit like the one on the right. In recutting it at a larger size, that skirt literally went down to my knees, and I'm 5'11". I've seen others where they had an embroidery detail or a graphic, and instead of scaling the graphic up with the size, it looks like a completely different shirt or dress.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    This feels like some optical illusion, where the big reveal is that the models are ... exactly the same size.
  • KitKat47
    KitKat47 Posts: 6
    Options
    The "plus size" model actually looks 100% better in her suit. IMO. For real.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Is that the same model in both pictures? But, yeah, I know what you mean about the models used for plus sized clothing (I'm looking at you, Lane Bryant). It really does not help you figure out if the clothes will look nice in your size. Plus, a lot of the time the clothes are tailored or pinned up on the models to make them look less tent like. Very much not helpful.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If that's plus size, than I am way more overweight than I realized... WTH?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    PiSquared wrote: »
    It really does not help you figure out if the clothes will look nice in your size. Plus, a lot of the time the clothes are tailored or pinned up on the models to make them look less tent like. Very much not helpful.
    You do realize this happens with non-plus sized clothes too?

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The pic looks like it was smushed a little to make them more narrow. I hope it's just a display thing and photoshoppery that terrible isn't the official picture.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Looks like the exact same model...photoshopped to the brims in the first photo.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    In this case, if "plus size" is wrong..I don't want to be right.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I just find it completely insulting for women who are actually plus size. Seriously, it drives me nuts. I do love that 'plus size' suit though.
  • cgrooms676
    cgrooms676 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's like the "plus size" model that posed for Sports Illustrated. It was a huge deal that they finally had a "plus size" model, but there's no way she was truly plus size.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    This feels like some optical illusion, where the big reveal is that the models are ... exactly the same size.

(*)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Because companies would rather hire attractive, normal-weight people to sell clothing than the people who they cater to. It's my mom's main complaint about the clothing catalogs she gets. Plus, why give the better looking suits to plus-size women too?

Both swim suits are horrendous
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    They had a "Plus Size Model" on Bachelor this last season. Bo. She was sent home right away. She had real curves, though. And a stunning red dress!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    is that the same model? i like the blue one piece anyway. it's pretty and stylish.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere once that a plus size model was a size 12. Correct me if I'm wrong but a size 12 is not "plus size". I love the plus size suit though.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    And we wonder why so many girls have eating disorders and become obese from emotional eating.....*sigh*

Woman on the right just has curves.... :(
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere once that a plus size model was a size 12. Correct me if I'm wrong but a size 12 is not "plus size". I love the plus size suit though.
    Anything above US size 8.