how exactly are calories burned?

Options
I use to think calories were burned by the sweat you produce but i guess i am wrong according to another thread i was reading....so how exactly how calories burn and how do you lose weight burning those calories?

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Any activity your body does burns calories

Breathing
    Sleeping
    Walking
    Driving etc just going about your day, all burn calories

Intentional exercise will also burn calories, likely at a faster rate than your normal day to day activity for the most part.

That's why you don't have to do a bunch of cardio or sweating to lose weight. Though exercise has tremendous health benefits, so long as you consume fewer calories than your body burns or expends over time, you will lose weight
  • rsm193
    rsm193 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I guess my silly question would be....where do the calories go? Lol into the air? I have always been confused on weight loss and how exactly the whole burning calories work? And how are body becomes smaller losing weight.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I've heard it's actually through the carbon dioxide you breathe out, of all things! I suppose there's usually a lot more breathing during exercise lol
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    When you consume fewer calories than you burn, your body takes its energy from either fat or muscle from your body (usually a combination of both). Calories are just a measure of energy, so when you consume fewer calories than your body requires, your body then turns to burning fat and muscle for energy.

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Carbon dioxide and water?

The actual mechanism is scienc-y, haha. But that was the gist that i picked up from reading stuff.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I actually just read something the other day (cannot remember what or where at this point) that said when you lose weight it is mostly expelled through breathing. Which makes sense.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I actually just read something the other day (cannot remember what or where at this point) that said when you lose weight it is mostly expelled through breathing. Which makes sense.

Bingo! Now you tested better then half the dietician, doctors, etc that were asked. Just don't hyperventilate trying to lose weight.
  • kellychameleon
    kellychameleon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The 'calorie' is a unit of measure for energy. Many of the processes our body does automatically require energy, just as purposeful exercise does.

The foods we eat, as well as our fat and muscle, contain potential energy, which can be measured in calories. For example, one pound of fat=3500 calories of potential energy. We can use energy from food to do the work our body needs to do each day, and if we don't eat enough to fuel our basic processes, we can use our fat or muscle for energy. This will cause weight loss. The molecules from fat or muscle are oxidized, and we can use the energy to make ATP, producing heat and excreting CO2.

Basically, if you take in fewer calories than your body needs to function, fat and/or muscle is used to make up the calorie (energy) deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You breath, you move, you exist and calories are burned.
  • rsm193
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    A lot of people used to think that you pee'd out the fat. Hence why it was/is always recommended to drink lots of water. So they drank a crap tonn of water and pee'd constantly throughout the day, thinking they were weeing out the excess fat. Aaaahhhh how wonderful (and easy) if this were true
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    rsm193 wrote: »
    I guess my silly question would be....where do the calories go? Lol into the air? I have always been confused on weight loss and how exactly the whole burning calories work? And how are body becomes smaller losing weight.

Calories are unit of energy. When your body does work it uses energy and converts it to heat. Not necessarily to the point of sweating.
  • glfernandes828
    glfernandes828 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Aurpr

Surprisingly yes! I've read some awesome informative articles that say that with eating healthy and staying under a certain calorie limit, you literally breathe the fat away. I'll try to find the articles to link them here
  • rsm193
    Options
    Maybe im just ignorant but dont you pratically breathe in what you breathe out?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I use to think calories were burned by the sweat you produce but i guess i am wrong according to another thread i was reading....so how exactly how calories burn and how do you lose weight burning those calories?

You "burn" calories 24/7...you burn a *kitten* ton of calories by merely existing.

A calorie is just a unit of energy. Your body requires so much energy to function optimally and maintain the status quot. I huge chunk of this energy requisite is you simply existing...these are your BMR calorie requisites. Beyond that, if you're not in a coma you do all kinds of stuff during the day...all that stuff from brushing your teeth to driving your car to typing on your keyboard burns calories. This is called your NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis.

In most cases, outside of being an athlete, your BMR + your NEAT is going to make up the bulk of your energy (calorie) requisites. After that you have exercise...and in most cases, energy requisites for exercise pale in comparison to your BMR and NEAT.

So, when you consume more energy than your body requires, that energy is stored as body fat...your energy reserves. When you consume less energy than your body requires, that difference is made up by burning stored energy (body fat). When you consume a balance of energy you maintain the status quo.
  • rsm193
    Options
    :)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

No "lol" about it. You are (kind of) correct.

They *really do* go into the air... metabolized into water, and the CO2 that we all expire when we breathe out.

This might help (...or it might not)

FYI, though - calories aren't really a thing to go anywhere, they are just a unit of measurement of energy ... your question is kinda like asking "where do the inches go when I cut this string", right?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Maybe im just ignorant but dont you pratically breathe in what you breathe out?

As in air? Oxygen is the only usable component of air as far as I know. Your body makes CO2 and breathes that out...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

No "lol" about it. You are (kind of) correct.

They *really do* go into the air... metabolized into water, and the CO2 that we all expire when we breathe out.

This might help (...or it might not)

FYI, though - calories aren't really a thing to go anywhere, they are just a unit of measurement of energy ... your question is kinda like asking "where do the inches go when I cut this string", right?

THIS^.

The key part of the process is called:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle

Energy is used in all the biological processes - from moving (muscle contraction) to breathing to making protein to being warm. Everything uses a little energy. Just sitting there reading this uses energy.