Options
2»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    rsm193 wrote: »
    I use to think calories were burned by the sweat you produce but i guess i am wrong according to another thread i was reading....so how exactly how calories burn and how do you lose weight burning those calories?

You "burn" calories 24/7...you burn a *kitten* ton of calories by merely existing.

A calorie is just a unit of energy. Your body requires so much energy to function optimally and maintain the status quot. I huge chunk of this energy requisite is you simply existing...these are your BMR calorie requisites. Beyond that, if you're not in a coma you do all kinds of stuff during the day...all that stuff from brushing your teeth to driving your car to typing on your keyboard burns calories. This is called your NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis.

In most cases, outside of being an athlete, your BMR + your NEAT is going to make up the bulk of your energy (calorie) requisites. After that you have exercise...and in most cases, energy requisites for exercise pale in comparison to your BMR and NEAT.

So, when you consume more energy than your body requires, that energy is stored as body fat...your energy reserves. When you consume less energy than your body requires, that difference is made up by burning stored energy (body fat). When you consume a balance of energy you maintain the status quo.

A large part of the energy reserve we use is not body fat but glycogen in the liver and muscle. As a complement to what is explained above, this article also covers the energy systems pretty well:

http://breakingmuscle.com/health-medicine/understanding-energy-systems-atp-pc-glycolytic-and-oxidative-oh-my
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Maybe im just ignorant but dont you pratically breathe in what you breathe out?
    Actually, you breathe out a little less than you breathe in. For every 250 ml of oxygen your body takes in, it produces 200 ml of carbon dioxide. So the amount of gas exhaled is slightly less than the amount inhaled.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Maybe im just ignorant but dont you pratically breathe in what you breathe out?
    Actually, you breathe out a little less than you breathe in. For every 250 ml of oxygen your body takes in, it produces 200 ml of carbon dioxide. So the amount of gas exhaled is slightly less than the amount inhaled.

Volume vs mass. Yo.
  • GPHX_GEEK
    GPHX_GEEK Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand it. Calories are a measure of energy. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. So going by that logic, I would assume that your body uses energy to perform tasks. If you have an excess of calories, your body will transform those into fat or muscle mass depending on what you are doing. So eating at a calorie deficit and exersicing will simply shift the way that energy is used and stored. I'm gonna go read some articles about this and come back with a better answer.
  • rsm193
    rsm193 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So is it pointless to wear a sauna suit to burn calories?
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    So is it pointless to wear a sauna suit to burn calories?

Yes.