Running in the Rain

Options

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I did a 14.5 mile Spartan Race in 30's temps with rain and hail. Was dressed for 50 degrees like they were calling for. It was not the most fun thing I've ever done....but it was worth it.

Any time you do something absurd that has a good story behind it, it was worth it.

One time a friend and I were out on a long training ride when it was expected to rain all day. The two of us rode 111 miles, climbing 10,000ft in on and off thunderstorms and downpours. Our other riding buddies all bailed on us, but we knew we needed to get that ride in that day (it was the last big ride before an Ironman, so it just had to get done), so we rode.

We finished all caked in road grime and dirt, soaked to the skin, and said "no way" to the planned transition run. We cleaned up and then drank all the beer.

Then we made endless fun of our "less hardcore" friends who chose to skip the epic ride :)
  • Grumbers
    Grumbers Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If I tried topless running in UK at this time of year, I'd very quickly become just a statistic.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Only 2 weathers are bad for running. The first is close by lightning. The second is hail.
  • glevinso
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    Only 2 weathers are bad for running. The first is close by lightning. The second is hail.

I'll add ice storms and blizzards to that list.

An ice storm 2 weeks ago is what forced me into a 13 mile day on my treadmill... oh joy

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Living in the PNW there are very few runs without rain from Oct-May. HA
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I did a 14.5 mile Spartan Race in 30's temps with rain and hail. Was dressed for 50 degrees like they were calling for. It was not the most fun thing I've ever done....but it was worth it.

Any time you do something absurd that has a good story behind it, it was worth it.

One time a friend and I were out on a long training ride when it was expected to rain all day. The two of us rode 111 miles, climbing 10,000ft in on and off thunderstorms and downpours. Our other riding buddies all bailed on us, but we knew we needed to get that ride in that day (it was the last big ride before an Ironman, so it just had to get done), so we rode.

We finished all caked in road grime and dirt, soaked to the skin, and said "no way" to the planned transition run. We cleaned up and then drank all the beer.

Then we made endless fun of our "less hardcore" friends who chose to skip the epic ride :)

I live for those moments lol. My above race was obviously epic in itself. But I had just started hanging out with/dating a guy at my gym and he convinced me to go to OH (6hr drive) with him and some other people from the gym. He totally screwed me over and I got stuck driving 6 hours to OH, spending a night in a hotel room and doing the race (which took us 5 hours) and then driving 6 hours home with people I had never met! It was that or waste $150 on the race. So incredibly glad I went. We are now best friends for life (minus the guy, obviously) and will always have jokes about that adventure.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

An ice storm 2 weeks ago is what forced me into a 13 mile day on my treadmill... oh joy

I did a 13 mile run in 40 degree rain. The next weekend it was 34 and raining. I did it indoors. 40 is about as low as I'll go with it being actual rain.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,444 Member
    Options

Here it's dust (can get you to the ER really fast). I'm not sure yet if summer temperatures of nearly 50 degrees C are a problem, but I'll report back in due time.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Love running in the rain provided it's not freezing rain.
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a wet run. It was 2 degrees celsius (about 35f) and very strong north wind, which I ran against the whole way back. I am a goddess. That is all.
    wchshg8l4xtd.jpeg
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh good tips here! I am running in my second 5K race in the rain tomorrow (100% chance), and was wondering how best to prepare. Towels are a great idea!
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I'm a wimp for anything below 20F. I feel your pain for a 13 miler on the treadmill!
    There should be a support group or something for survivors of 13+ mile runs on the treadmill.

• glevinso
    Options
    cindaymom wrote: »
    Oh good tips here! I am running in my second 5K race in the rain tomorrow (100% chance), and was wondering how best to prepare. Towels are a great idea!

Body glide your feet. Otherwise you will get blisters in places you never knew you had.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it if I have a waterproof jacket and a cap to keep the rain out of my eyes. In Ireland it rains A LOT so it's no good waiting for a dry day!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    jhall260 wrote: »

I'm a wimp for anything below 20F. I feel your pain for a 13 miler on the treadmill!
    There should be a support group or something for survivors of 13+ mile runs on the treadmill.

Put me down for an 18 mile run 2 weeks ago. 3 hours and 7 minutes of joy.
  • glevinso
    Options
    jhall260 wrote: »

Oh I'll run in almost any temperature as long as it isn't precipitating. Coldest I have done so far was -10F (actual temp, not wind chill), and it wasn't that bad after bundling up. But cold rain, no way...
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't run in the rain myself because I hate it when my glasses get wet ~_~
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Wear a hat and nothing that will rust
  • glevinso
    Options

I think if all you wore was a hat, you would get arrested...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I think if all you wore was a hat, you would get arrested...

Depends on if you're doing one of those "undies runs" I suppose :D