Favorite Kitchen tools/appliances that keep you eating healthy

rumijs
rumijs Posts: 218 Member
This one probably seems silly to some, but I was recently gifted an egg cooker and it's my favorite thing to use in the kitchen now! It fits 6 eggs and is timed for how boiled you'd like the eggs, or can make poached/cooked omelet/ etc. It's small and quick to use.

I used to cook eggs in microwave if I was too busy to use stove in morning, or boil eggs on stove. Not that doing that was too difficult or time consuming, I just like not having to watch over them with this.

This is the one I have

I'm thinking about purchasing a kitchen scale. Any recommendations for best value of one? I'd like to keep it cheap, but don't mind paying a little extra for better quality/accuracy/extra perks.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Blender - I love my smoothies. They are the best for a quick breakfast. You can also mix up a quick batch of batter for gluten free pancakes.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2015
    A food scale. As long as it's digital, has a tare button, and can do grams and ounces that's all you need. You can find them at Walmart/on Amazon for cheap.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Do I have to pick one favourite? (1) My nutri-bullet. I tried juicing for about a second and couldn't get past how much fibre I was missing out on, sold the juicer & bought the bullet. (2) My citrus zester & reamer (3) My pineapple corer
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Scale
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    rice cooker =)
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    rb-chained-fridge-0809-lgn.jpg
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Besides my food scale which I use every day, I splurged on a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer. I got tired of spending almost $5 on 4 gluten free hamburger rolls that pretty much taste stale and hard, especially since the only place I can get them is the health food store and they keep them in the freezer. I wanted nothing more than a fresh, delicious hamburger roll. Now I make my own, I actually made another batch yesterday, wrap each one separately and them put them in a freezer bag, and when I defrost one, they're still soft and not hard like a hockey puck. A lot of the gluten free recipes I've found require a stand mixer and it was a good excuse to finally buy one.
  • rumijs
    RunTimer wrote: »
    rb-chained-fridge-0809-lgn.jpg
    Hhah! I have one of those but my refrigerator is Houdini so it doesn't work out
  • 9Rounder
    9Rounder Posts: 40 Member
    #1: Food scale. I use it several times a day. I have a Salter brand and like it, but wish the platform was a little bigger. The TARE button and grams/ounces switchover is great.
    #2: NutriBullet. I make a smoothie nearly every day.
    #3: Rice cooker. Perfect rice every time!
  • rumijs
    I have a rice cooker/veggie steamer combo that I LOVE. I'm trying to find my next kitchen addition. Definitely a kitchen scale. I've thought about a nutribullet many times but don't know if it's something that I'd use a lot. I do like smoothies, but think the "usefulness" of it would ware off after a few weeks and then I'd never look at it again :-/
  • 9Rounder
    9Rounder Posts: 40 Member
    rumijs wrote: »
    I've thought about a nutribullet many times but don't know if it's something that I'd use a lot. I do like smoothies, but think the "usefulness" of it would ware off after a few weeks and then I'd never look at it again :-/

I have used my NutriBullet most days for more than a year. It's a habit now and I love starting my day with 2 cups of spinach and a cup of berries, plus water. The usefullness has not worn off yet. I've gotten way more than the $90 I paid for it out of the product.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited March 2015
    Food scale, George Foreman grill and immersion blender.

Still want a rice cooker and bread maker but no room.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    A sharp knife. I use that more than anything.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Can't pick one but I love my nutribullet, rice cooker, George Foreman grill and kitchen scale. In answer to your concerns about whether you would continue to use the bullet, I almost never use mine to make drinkable smoothies. I most often use it to make homemade hummus, guacamole, salsa, veggie smoothies to be added to meatloaf/burgers/soups/etc., blend homemade spice mixes...all kinds of things besides smoothies to go.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    My Ninja blender.I usually have a smoothie for brfast made with Greek yogurt,protein powder,vanilla,cocoa...lots of ice for 190 cals.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    My mandoline and my garlic press. Cutting up vegetables is the big one.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Before I got my nutri-bullet, I wore out 2 magic bullets with my everyday use, and my kids' everyday use. It sits on the counter and I make a drink with it every single day.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    I love my salter scales. As well as a kg and oz option it also measures fluid oz and mls so you can measure your oats, then tare and measure your milk / water.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    I ditto the rice cooker / veggie steamer combo, and I'll have to add on my George Foreman grill.

If someone broke into my house and stole my stuff, I honestly, genuinely think that I would curl up in a corner and cry over the grill. I bought mine 12 years ago, and I heart it so bad!!!!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Aside from some already mentioned here - the deep freezer. Before we had it, it was a constant cycle of make the same one or two things all week, then hurry and use the leftovers before they went bad. Half the time, the last of them went bad anyway, because we were sick of them. Now I have a ton of options in the freezer, and I don't have to make something with the intention of eating it all week, just package up what's left and throw it in, and defrost the leftovers from 2 weeks ago the next day if I don't feel like cooking.