Half Marathon training

Options

Replies

• jb290978
    jb290978 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and girls. I'm just going to stick to plan and add another day here and there when I can also for interval/Hill work. I should get my mileage to what I want by mid April. Then home in on the hill work etc whilst running my long runs so they feel more comfortable. Initial target was 2 hours 15 but think I was a bit optimistic.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    jb290978 wrote: »
    Thanks guys and girls. I'm just going to stick to plan and add another day here and there when I can also for interval/Hill work. I should get my mileage to what I want by mid April. Then home in on the hill work etc whilst running my long runs so they feel more comfortable. Initial target was 2 hours 15 but think I was a bit optimistic.

That sounds like a great plan! And, sometimes it's difficult to say what your first time may/may not be. Enjoy the race, give it your best shot, and use whatever time you get as a benchmark.

My first HM was 2:15 and the longest run I'd done prior was 9 miles. I really surprised myself, so you never know. :) Make sure to come back and post how things go. I'd love to hear! Good luck & happy running! :)

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I have my first half marathon in June. Training from more or less a complete beginner. I am currently up to 8 mile in my long run and also do a recovery run and a short fast tempo run. My long run pace is around 12 mins 30 per min/mile.
    So I'm quite slow but have gone from 2 miles to 8 in last 9 weeks.

I have been advised to Foret distance now and work on speed to get faster then carry on with distance nearer the time.
    However my plan was to continue with what I am doing and I should be up to my correct mileage with a month to spare. Then work on speed with also added days throughout that time.

Should I continue to plan or keep at 8 miles for a few weeks and work on speed??

That "forget distance and work on speed" advice is garbage. Aim to complete your first half, and do that by nothing but easy miles. You don't need the speedwork yet, especially if your long run is 12:30 miles. Your body isn't there yet and you'll get marginal benefits vs the chance to injure yourself.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Grumbers wrote: »
    I trained up to about 11 miles before my first half and knew I could do that comfortably. Combined with the support and buzz of the day, you'll be fine. I'm confident anyone who can run a 10km can run a half marathon. To me it's 90% in the head from that point on.

That "it's all mental" stuff is best saved for those "fitspiration" pictures, which really mean nothing.
  • arussell134
    Options
    I trained up to about 11 miles before my first half and knew I could do that comfortably. Combined with the support and buzz of the day, you'll be fine. I'm confident anyone who can run a 10km can run a half marathon. To me it's 90% in the head from that point on.

That "it's all mental" stuff is best saved for those "fitspiration" pictures, which really mean nothing.

I think it's both. It starts from a belief and a desire, and the training flows from there. Obviously sitting on your bum going "I think I can" is only going to take you so far. :)

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

believe.jpg?w=300&h=208

Running with balloons to make you lighter and faster is the other half.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

believe.jpg?w=300&h=208

Running with balloons to make you lighter and faster is the other half.

I'm so trying this lol
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

I think it's both. It starts from a belief and a desire, and the training flows from there. Obviously sitting on your bum going "I think I can" is only going to take you so far. :)

My motivation comes from Chipotle burrito bowls :D
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    They say you run about 1min/mile faster for every 10lbs you lose. I wonder how many balloons it would take to make me 10lbs lighter, and if the wind resistance of the balloons would overcome the increase in speed?
  • RudeboyCantFail
    RudeboyCantFail Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'll echo most of the comments here - just enjoy your first half. Worry about the distance, not the speed. I guarantee you'll set a PR! :) Then you can work on speed to beat it in your next race.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    They say you run about 1min/mile faster for every 10lbs you lose. I wonder how many balloons it would take to make me 10lbs lighter, and if the wind resistance of the balloons would overcome the increase in speed?

I thought it was 2 seconds per pound. If it were 1 minute per 10 pounds I'd drop 20 and BQ this next race. LOL

Last race the 4:15 pace guy had several balloons tied to his sign stick. That must be what he was doing. Shedding weight.
  • arussell134
    Options

My motivation comes from Chipotle burrito bowls :D

Well hey, can't argue with that! :)

• GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So, to OP and all you helpful posters: suggestions for programs or apps to train a newbie looking to Half in fall 2015? Maybe sooner than fall if that is realistically possible based on my current level: I just started running in last 3 months. Run 3 miles at least 3 to 4 times/week and 6 miles once/week. Consistently a 10.4 min pace across any distance at this point. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you'd be willing to share B)
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    labyars wrote: »
    So, to OP and all you helpful posters: suggestions for programs or apps to train a newbie looking to Half in fall 2015? Maybe sooner than fall if that is realistically possible based on my current level: I just started running in last 3 months. Run 3 miles at least 3 to 4 times/week and 6 miles once/week. Consistently a 10.4 min pace across any distance at this point. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you'd be willing to share B)

I know a few of us in the monthly running challenge have been using the Hal Higdon HM training program. It's basically 4 running days per week (3 consecutive weekdays and long run on the weekend). Sounds like it'll fit what your doing.....

• kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great thoughts so far, but I'll chime in since I'm doing my first half in a few weeks. Focusing on endurance is definitely good advice--just aim to finish. Keep running, and you will get faster.

I originally was going to do a HM on 3/1, but the weather was horrible, and I didn't want to risk injury (I have several other races planned this spring). To prep for that race, I actually ran a couple 12 mile long runs and one 14, so I knew I could finish. I backed off for two weeks (running nothing longer than 6 miles) then ramped back up. Not only has the additional time running helped my overall endurance, but I've gotten slightly faster just as an effect from spending so much time on my feet :)

Also, I was injured at this time a year ago, and when I started back running I was doing around 10-11 minute miles on average (I've been running for a few years but never really got serious about distance until this year, mostly 5ks with a couple 10ks thrown in). The training for the half, without doing much speed efforts has definitely improved my time.
  • GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »
    suggestions for programs or apps to train a newbie looking to Half in fall 2015? Maybe sooner.... current level: I just started running in last 3 months. Run 3 miles at least 3 to 4 times/week and 6 miles once/week. Consistently a 10.4 min pace

I know a few of us in the monthly running challenge have been using the Hal Higdon HM training program. It's basically 4 running days per week (3 consecutive weekdays and long run on the weekend). Sounds like it'll fit what your doing.....
    Thank you @gabbo34 - Appreciate the program info & I found the Monthly Running Challenge Thread too :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You know, I can't recall anyone ever saying that when they can begin lifting weights faster for just a few reps that they should be able to hold that same amount of weight for 3 hours straight without putting it down. I just find that an interesting parallel.
  • jb290978
    jb290978 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Just a bit of advise. How quick do you see improvements on the tempo runs. I have increased my long runs by 1 mile each week and so far so good so it's easy to see the progression.

I also do a tempo run which is aimed to be run at my 5k pace minus 30 or 40 seconds so around 10 min 30 pace. I have only been doing tempos for a month as the first month was just getting me to run. I managed 20 minutes at 10 min mile pace and realised I was to fast. I have also set off too fast on other occasions and not able to complete the desired time.

I completed 30 minutes last week at 10 min 30 mile pace which was on target and a lot better than previous attempts. Today's run was 35 minutes but only managed 31 minutes. Slight improvement but very hard to judge.

Is my pace to fast for my ability at this stage or shall I just continue as I am trying to do more each week. My long run pace is 12 min 30 per mile pace. End of month the tempo goes back down to 25 min run but should be at faster pace than the previous.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Thanks guys. Just a bit of advise. How quick do you see improvements on the tempo runs. I have increased my long runs by 1 mile each week and so far so good so it's easy to see the progression.

I also do a tempo run which is aimed to be run at my 5k pace minus 30 or 40 seconds so around 10 min 30 pace. I have only been doing tempos for a month as the first month was just getting me to run. I managed 20 minutes at 10 min mile pace and realised I was to fast. I have also set off too fast on other occasions and not able to complete the desired time.

I completed 30 minutes last week at 10 min 30 mile pace which was on target and a lot better than previous attempts. Today's run was 35 minutes but only managed 31 minutes. Slight improvement but very hard to judge.

Is my pace to fast for my ability at this stage or shall I just continue as I am trying to do more each week. My long run pace is 12 min 30 per mile pace. End of month the tempo goes back down to 25 min run but should be at faster pace than the previous.

You're doing tempo runs way too fast. They should be around your HM-MP, closer to HM. And since we're talking those paces anyway, you probably don't need to work about speedwork so much as you should concentrate on the easy runs. Save the speedwork for when you're hitting 40ish MPW and running sub 2 halfs.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

halhigdon.com