Why do so many people hide their food Diary?

Options

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Why do you care so much?
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Free choice enough said
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    But he seems to be talking about people on his friends list. Just invite friends who share their diary if thats your thing.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    PaulLester wrote: »
    If anybody wants a look at what i am eating and questions how i eat what i do and lose weight, its because my body is burning fat not sugar.

Now, I'm not going to get into a fight about fat or sugar or whatever. I do want to point out that you are implying others would not lose weight while eating sugar. Someone who finds that eating sweets daily in their calorie goal helps keep them on track and losing weight could feel like you are claiming your diet is superior or that you judge them for eating sugar.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    But he seems to be talking about people on his friends list. Just invite friends who share their diary if thats your thing.

Yep. Easy.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've found that I'm much more honest about logging if it's private. It's hard enough admitting to myself that I ate 4 ice cream cups out of anger. I wouldn't log that if I knew others were looking at my diary. And for me, logging accurately is essential to my success. Plus, I often document my emotions in the food diary notes (what triggers a binge) and that's personal. However, I can and would ask someone for help if, say, my progress was stalled and ask them to review my diary. It's great to have options!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If anybody wants a look at what i am eating and questions how i eat what i do and lose weight, its because my body is burning fat not sugar.

Now, I'm not going to get into a fight about fat or sugar or whatever. I do want to point out that you are implying others would not lose weight while eating sugar. Someone who finds that eating sweets daily in their calorie goal helps keep them on track and losing weight could feel like you are claiming your diet is superior or that you judge them for eating sugar.

That's not what I got from him at all. He also said "I personally am on a low carb diet and if anybody on a low fat diet saw what i was eating they would throw a fit. This is however working for me i have lost 10 plus lbs in the first couple of weeks and am still losing."
    Then he went on to say
    "If anybody wants a look at what i am eating and questions how i eat what i do and lose weight, its because my body is burning fat not sugar. "

I thought the point was if someone wants to judge his diet, he would be happy to explain why he feels it is working for him (I not going to get into the debate if he is correct or not). I didn't think he implied his was a superior diet.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    I think that some people are more accurate knowing that others can't judge their choices. They can admit to themselves that they had mostly cake that day, but they don't want others knowing they ate 1000 calories worth of cake.

This is why I keep mine hidden ;)

That's what is important! Just logging and admitting to yourself. Now you have the numbers and trends and can see what is going on. Nobody else needs to know. Sometimes we eat 1000 calories worth of cake. It's far from the end of the world and it's not a failure. Getting healthy, losing weight and improving our fitness isn't going to be a perfect process and that's okay. Progress, not perfection.

YES!

I personally have mine only open to friends because I'm extremely active on many different social media sites so when people google my username, I want to be defined by the things I say and do, not the foods I eat.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Last time I used MFP, I kept my diary open. I sometimes wasn't as accountable as I should have been in that if I had a bad binge I wouldn't log it all (I'd kind of log it in my head thinking that made me accountable for it, but I just didn't want it shared).

This time, I am being fully accountable. Not to anyone else, but to myself. I log every damn bad decision I make and it's helping me a great deal.

We're all here for different reasons. What I do now works for me and I have quite a lot of friends on here, who I try and support as much as I can. If someone had a particular question about my diet, I'd happily answer it. If I wanted advice if I wasn't losing, then I'd open it.

TLDR; Everyones different.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

That's not what I got from him at all. He also said "I personally am on a low carb diet and if anybody on a low fat diet saw what i was eating they would throw a fit. This is however working for me i have lost 10 plus lbs in the first couple of weeks and am still losing."
    Then he went on to say
    "If anybody wants a look at what i am eating and questions how i eat what i do and lose weight, its because my body is burning fat not sugar. "

I thought the point was if someone wants to judge his diet, he would be happy to explain why he feels it is working for him (I not going to get into the debate if he is correct or not). I didn't think he implied his was a superior diet.

I understand that completely. You know how MFP is though. I'm not saying I saw his comments that way, but there are people who think comments like that are saying others are doing it wrong. That's why some people keep their diary private. They're afraid of being judged.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    People are different... I prefer people with open diaries so if I "like" what they ate I know what they ate, there's no point to liking someone's completed diary if it's closed. If it is closed, I ask if they'll think of opening it up someday, if they do - great, if they don't - oh well. I'll keep looking for people who have open diaries. Some people on my FL have it open with a password only. I have mine's open, not that anybody cares anyways. But if you don't like people having a fit with what you eat, either close your diary up, kick them of your FL, or just ignore them.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    My food list is just boring as I tend to eat the same food .....works for me.Not interested in what other ppl eat,so just not a very interesting topic.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My food log is closed because I want it to be closed. I get enough judgmental looks from strangers when I'm out doing errands. (I got about 130 lbs to lose, so yeah, I'm a fatty mcfatterson.) I don't need strangers giving unsolicited opinions about what I put into my mouth. If I want opinions on what I eat, I'll ask for them. :#
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Mine is only open to my friends, but that's because I don't feel the general population of MFP needs to see what I'm eating. I'm not in the forums asking for specific help in regards to my diet, so it's not necessary that I have it open. I have sucked at logging lately, and I'm pretty open on my feed in saying "I totally ate like 5 servings of ricotta today."
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how many people are afraid of other's judgments. Keep living,...you'll see tons of people everywhere feeling they are right and feeling that they know best. The worlds full of people like this. You've just got to learn to let it roll off and keep on going. You can't stay all closed up, afraid of what others think and say. Opinions are like as*holes--everyone's got one. Stand up and be yourself and be proud of the things you accomplish.

If you have self confidence, and surround yourself with positive friends, who truly care about you, and go on about your business, you can eliminate so much worry over what others think.

I don't get critical comments from my friends here on MFP, nor, do I give critical comments. I'm always looking for the positive things for my friends and myself. It's just a way of thinking and living.

If people keep their diaries open, their friends can be happy for their efforts even more. My diary is open to my friends and I intend on keeping it that way. You get much more out of MFP with honesty, being positive, and truly learning to be accountable.

I think we all are here to do our best. We all are different and that's what makes it all so great. I love seeing my friend's diaries. It helps in so many ways. If you see a friend struggling, you can be more supportive. Also, when you see friends struggling, it helps you to avoid some of the same traps they might be dealing with at the time. When friends are having great success, you are more aware of the journey they've been on to get there. Then, you can be so very happy for them, and feel so great that they are doing so well. How can you possibly be very supportive of someone, whom you know hardly nothing about what they do and go through, day after day?

There's a lot of bad and evil in this world. MFP should be a place you can come, be supportive of your friends, be happy, be productive, and learn things. Don't be afraid and lose the chance to feel all of the good that's possible here. Yes, there are jerks and sometimes you have to delete a friend or two, but, so what? Later, you just have more room for great friends on here.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Hes talking about people on his friends list. What other things do people get out of being on his friends list? Someone saying awesome burn or liking you? Syrely the point you asked or acpeted is because you expected some level of interaction or are you a person collector?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Hes talking about people on his friends list. What other things do people get out of being on his friends list? Someone saying awesome burn or liking you? Syrely the point you asked or acpeted is because you expected some level of interaction or are you a person collector?

Honestly I can't even keep up with looking at diaries anymore. I have some friends with closed diaries. We talk about our interests in fitness, we support each other with what we're cooking (I keep burning food, evidently), we share logging tips, help each other resolve issues with the app and website etc. Basically similar interaction that you might see on the forums but a bit more intimate since it's the same small circle of people usually

Me, my diary is public because when I first started out logging, I needed ideas of how the heck people were doing this but there were so many closed diaries. Honestly now, thinking back to it, that may have actually helped me since I did the research and decided to change my target from 1 lb to 0.5 lb. also I'm not sure how useful it would have been to copy food that I may have not even understood. That was always my problem following structured meal plans. It's like, what is this? I don't eat this I don't know this. Blah...

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »
    I can't believe how many people are afraid of other's judgments. Keep living,...you'll see tons of people everywhere feeling they are right and feeling that they know best. The worlds full of people like this. You've just got to learn to let it roll off and keep on going. You can't stay all closed up, afraid of what others think and say. Opinions are like as*holes--everyone's got one. Stand up and be yourself and be proud of the things you accomplish.

If you have self confidence, and surround yourself with positive friends, who truly care about you, and go on about your business, you can eliminate so much worry over what others think.

I don't get critical comments from my friends here on MFP, nor, do I give critical comments. I'm always looking for the positive things for my friends and myself. It's just a way of thinking and living.

If people keep their diaries open, their friends can be happy for their efforts even more. My diary is open to my friends and I intend on keeping it that way. You get much more out of MFP with honesty, being positive, and truly learning to be accountable.

I think we all are here to do our best. We all are different and that's what makes it all so great. I love seeing my friend's diaries. It helps in so many ways. If you see a friend struggling, you can be more supportive. Also, when you see friends struggling, it helps you to avoid some of the same traps they might be dealing with at the time. When friends are having great success, you are more aware of the journey they've been on to get there. Then, you can be so very happy for them, and feel so great that they are doing so well. How can you possibly be very supportive of someone, whom you know hardly nothing about what they do and go through, day after day?

There's a lot of bad and evil in this world. MFP should be a place you can come, be supportive of your friends, be happy, be productive, and learn things. Don't be afraid and lose the chance to feel all of the good that's possible here. Yes, there are jerks and sometimes you have to delete a friend or two, but, so what? Later, you just have more room for great friends on here.

The food entry is only one aspect of this site. I know a lot about my friends. I don't need to look at their diary to know about them or their struggles.
    I've gotten a lot out of MFP. I am positive, honest and have learned to be truly accountable. I am successful.
    I have found mentors to help me with my fitness goals. I've found good friends and a whole support system. I've done just fine without an open diary. I maintained my weight for a long time with a closed diary. I gained again because I got pregnant and I am 9lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight with a closed diary. Keeping my diary closed does not make me dishonest. The only person I need to be honest with is myself and I am.

We aren't all here for the same thing. That is how you find success with MFP, and that's great, but that is not what I want.

I prefer my friends being happy about my new PR over being under my calorie goal for the day. I'd rather advice on lifting over what to eat.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »

The food entry is only one aspect of this site. I know a lot about my friends. I don't need to look at their diary to know about them or their struggles.
    I've gotten a lot out of MFP. I am positive, honest and have learned to be truly accountable. I am successful.
    I have found mentors to help me with my fitness goals. I've found good friends and a whole support system. I've done just fine without an open diary. I maintained my weight for a long time with a closed diary. I gained again because I got pregnant and I am 9lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight with a closed diary. Keeping my diary closed does not make me dishonest. The only person I need to be honest with is myself and I am.

We aren't all here for the same thing. That is how you find success with MFP, and that's great, but that is not what I want.

I prefer my friends being happy about my new PR over being under my calorie goal for the day. I'd rather advice on lifting over what to eat.

Yep.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Having an open diary does not necessarily mean you are looking for people's advice. Big difference. What I'm talking about is being a "friend" to people and not being here for giving advice. I don't think that people on here are qualified to go around giving others advice all the time. We are all working to do our best. Let's not get stuck on the giving advice part. An open diary is not an invitation for advice. I'm talking about real support, not advice. There is a big difference.