Mirena Removal - Eliminating a possible cause of not being able to lose weight

Options
So last year I lost about 25 lbs over the course of about 5 months. But throughout the remainder of the year it came back. I restarted my goal to lose weight at New Years and lost about 6 lbs in a month doing what I had done the year before. It was a very strict diet and working out 6 times a week. I had one bad day after I went out with some coworkers and the weight came back and I have struggled to re-lose it.

After taking some time to think about and read the internet, I have decided to have my Mirena IUD removed and have my tubes removed (yes removed, not tied). I am having them removed due to new research about ovarian cancer to prevent that, as there is a history of it in my family. I am in my 30s. I have 2 kids, 7 and 5. My husband and I are confident we do not want any more kids. Anyway since I have been on my Mirena I have gained about 35 lbs. I have also noticed that short of starving myself, the weight doesn't like to come off. I have noticed this about myself when I have been on hormonal birth control in the past in my 20s, so going back to the pill is not on option either. I read alot of stories about feeling bloated or stomach weight with the Mirena, and that is EXACTLY how I feel.

My surgery is scheduled for March 23. I am so excited to just eliminate this as possible cause of my struggle with my weight. I have a pretty good workout routine in place and have the diet thing under control. I see lots of posts of women thinking about having the Mirena removed or having their tubes tied and various results of doing so, but no comments about what BC method(s) they used after having the Mirena removed, nor before having their tubes tied. So I'd like to hear has it worked for you? Is it all in my head? Any feedback would be awesome. Thanks.

Replies

• goldenstone01
    goldenstone01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your surgery!
  • afur73
    afur73 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    this story rings very true for my wife at the moment. i have suggested she have it removed but she hasnt done it yet. she has always struggled to lose weight when on any form of birth control.
    we have also came to the decision that we dont want any more kids, got 2 also.

i am interested in finding out how it goes for you. i hope it works out for you.
  • esasse
    esasse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll keep ya posted.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I also hoped the weight would drop off after I had mine removed, but no - it's the same, slow, steady slog that it's always been.

Hope your surgery goes well. Is it a major op? I'm trying to get my husband in for the Snip, but he goes green whenever I mention it, so I'm starting to wonder whether I should get myself taken care of instead. (Don't really want to though. After 25 years of getting MY body messed around with, I feel like he should take one for the team...)
  • esasse
    Options
    What BC did you go to after you had yours removed? It is a general anesthesia procedure that takes less than an hour. Besides insurance, I am having it done vs him getting snipped because with the snip you still have to wait 3 months to see if it worked, where with the tubal it is instant. There is also a short recovery period.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Right now, just condoms, which I really hate. He's working away a lot at the moment, so scheduling appointments for him is difficult, which is why I'm wondering whether it might be better for me to take charge (again!)

I don't want to take any chances. I have three kids and the youngest is 14. Even though I'm 47 and wondered if my fertility might be on the wane (I get pregnant way too easily!!) my period returned immediately after getting the Mirena removed, so I figure we have at least a few more years of worrying.
  • esasse
    Options
    Yeah I agree. I don't want to take any chances either.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I take bc pills right now. When I went to get my prescription renewed this week I talked to my doctor about getting a more permanent form of birth control. She recommended Essure, which doesn't involve surgery and takes about 3 months to set in. I'm seriously considering it so I don't have to continue to take bc pills until I hit menopause.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena now, and while I can lose (and gain) weight just fine with it, I'm thinking about venturing to get a tubal again. I got the Mirena because I have a kidney transplant, and the health care center didn't feel comfortable with that invasive of a procedure and Essure only works if you have a normal immune response. Please keep us updated! Have they explained the details of how they perform the procedure to you? Is it laproscopic?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked by an endocrinologist to see if you have any other metabolic issues?

My guess is that this will help, but that it may not be the whole answer.
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi - I had my Mirena removed on 13th February this year. I had many of the classic problems that seem to be associated with Mirena - hair loss, acne on my jaw line and boils on my neck, no libido AT ALL, bloating, puffy face and a ring of flab around my middle, (mmm - attractive!). I felt great after the removal (had read about the "Mirena crash" so I can't say I wasn't nervous) - about a day and a half after removal I had a severe bout of diarrhoea for two days or so (sorry - TMI!) and dropped about 3-4 lbs. I think this was related to the removal - I wasn't ill in the stomach 'flu sense and I hadn't eaten anything that could have caused the stomach "purge". The puffiness on my face and the "rubber ring" look around my middle disappeared immediately - my new efforts in exercising and eating correctly are, I think, gradually paying off (too soon to say really, since it's only a month since removal). Personally, if anyone suspects they are having problems with Mirena I would say get it removed - but I know it's great for a lot of women... it depends on the individual.

We're using condoms now as I realised I've had about 25 years of artificial hormones from various types of bc - so I'm hoping to let my body balance itself hormonally.

@esasse - Good Luck with your surgery!
  • esasse
    Options
    @jkal1979‌ I would do a lot of research about Essure before you go that route. I'll be honest the information that is out there scares me. Part of why I am wanting to do a tubal is to get the foreign objects out of my body. So I would just say do a lot of research before you go that route.

@Vune‌ Yes we have gone over it. It will be laproscopic. Two holes about the size of a pen. He will then remove the mirena and both tubes, check around for any abnormalities and close me back up. I was also going to get an ablation but the insurance didn't cover very much of it so I changed my mind.

@LittleNell107‌ That is really good to know and makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. I want to get as my body as close to naturally regulated as possible and feel this is the best way to do it. I have a good workout schedule of about 45min - 1hour 6 days a week. I eat pretty well..could be better. That's part of why I am doing this, so that one cheat day doesn't undo a months worth of work, which is what's been happening. Keep me updated with how it's going for you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I also hoped the weight would drop off after I had mine removed, but no - it's the same, slow, steady slog that it's always been.

Hope your surgery goes well. Is it a major op? I'm trying to get my husband in for the Snip, but he goes green whenever I mention it, so I'm starting to wonder whether I should get myself taken care of instead. (Don't really want to though. After 25 years of getting MY body messed around with, I feel like he should take one for the team...)

I booked my hubby in for the snip next month.. hallefrickanleauhlea :bigsmile: I'll drag him there by his ear if I have to!!
    I went through 30 hours of pain having our 2 kids. He can go through a 20 minute procedure :wink:
  • esasse
    Options
    Hahaha I love that!!!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I got my mirena removed in 2010 after i gained a lot of weight and was unable to lose any at all. Right after i had it removed, i lost 30 lbs. I went from condoms to the pill and the weight stayed off, although i didn't lose any more because i wasn't actively trying. Went on depo because i wanted something longer-term and gained all the weight back and then some, every single time i got a shot i gained 10 lbs overnight. It was crazy. I quit taking that and got put on a pill and have been losing weight on that.

I have so many issues with my cycle that i don't want to be off something that regulates it, but i do wish i could just not have to deal with hormones. Good luck with everything!
  • esasse
    Options
    My friend mentioned an ablation. It gets rid of the lining of your uterus. It is used for those that have issues with your cycle. No hormones. You have to be done having kids though. I was going to do it with this but my insurance didn't cover it as much as I'd like.
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I lost 10lbs in about two weeks after having my Mirena removed! I loved how well it worked and that I didn't have a period for 4yrs, but I didn't feel well while I had it. Felt so much better after it was removed!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    esasse wrote: »
    My friend mentioned an ablation. It gets rid of the lining of your uterus. It is used for those that have issues with your cycle. No hormones. You have to be done having kids though. I was going to do it with this but my insurance didn't cover it as much as I'd like.

I have thought about ablation since I'm definitely done having kids, but i have a good friend who had it done and still got pregnant and now has a 3 year old (in addition to her 2 much older children). So I'm very wary, lol.
  • ChicagOH
    ChicagOH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I applaud OP for taking advantage of the new bc and procedures. A lot of women have a lot of unfounded fears and hang ups about having stuff removed/inserted/tied, etc. My husband a vasectomy 17 years ago when our 2nd child was just months old. No muss. No fuss for all these years. Push for it.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did the Depo for years with no issues (8 years to be exact) got a dose and my hormones went crazy. My OB said no more hormones for at least two years (we were done having kids) had my tubes tied and got pregnant with my son 16 months later. After he was born I did a copper IUD while waiting for hubby to get the two sperm counts after his vasectomy (to make sure we were in the clear). About 8 weeks after having the IUD placed it punctured my uterus and I had emergency surgery to remove it. If having your hubby get a vasectomy is an option I highly suggest it, it's a 30 minute procedure and even my hubby (who's a wimp about being sick or in pain) was back to "normal" in 3 days