Childhood food pleasures

Options

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Whatever my Mom put on the table was delicious. Oh the memories.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    When my dad was too lazy to cook anything, he'd take a baguette, smear laughing cow cheese on it, sprinkle on some sugar, then toasted it in the oven and gave that to me for lunch. Hardly nutritional but tasted like heaven...
  • ellieco
    ellieco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My mum used to make banana sandwiches if we were in a rush to get out the house! It's carbs on carbs but I guess there are worse things in the world...
  • cailah332
    cailah332 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Grilled cheese with pickles and ranch dressing. American cheese is a must!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I second the fluffernutters!!! Or a pb&j with crushed chips in the middle!!!
    I use to love the pop Big Red. I found a shop that carried them a while back and couldn't even make it past 1 drink.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I grew up in France... My favorite meals were some frozen onion burgers and mashed potatoes/carrots mixed with ground beef. Or just pasta with tomato sauce (not pasta sauce... good plain tomato sauce).

And mashed potatoes with deli ham.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Spaghettios with cut up hot dogs. Shudder! That was my "go to meal" for years. My Mom was not much of a cook. No fond memories of home cooked food from her. She was always on a crazy diet, and fed me something out of a can.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    ellieco wrote: »
    My mum used to make banana sandwiches if we were in a rush to get out the house! It's carbs on carbs but I guess there are worse things in the world...
    Ooh, yes. On white bread, with butter, and sprinkled with sugar?

• BadgerFaced
    BadgerFaced Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Breaded and fried scallops and haddock, with creamed potatoes, corn, and carrots. It was so buttery and rich and my dad made it the best.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My godmother used to make my toast, or my bread with both butter, and peanut butter. If it is bread with a meal, then it must be folded in half.

That's the way I still make it to this day, and everyone looks at me like I'm some sort of weirdo.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Also, oxtail soup out of a can, with a dollop of mashed potatoes in it.
  • Tubbs216
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My godmother used to make my toast, or my bread with both butter, and peanut butter.
    I would still do this, if I was going to eat toast or a PB sandwich. It's a big part of how I gained weight, and why I don't have toast very often these days! Probably would be about 200 calories, just in butter.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    It might be dangerous to even type these things out! Mac and cheese with spam, grilled velveeta sandwiches, bologna sandwiches on soft white bread...it's been many, many years and will be many, many more!
  • franola12
    franola12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter on apples, really tart apples.
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Tater Tot Sandwiches. Frozen tater tots heated in microwave, with untoasted white bread, mayo and ketchup. I don't think I could eat one again though
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    *kitten* and mash. Proper butcher *kitten* too. Yum.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My mom is from the Philippines, so a lot of my tastes are weird things I inherited from her. Spam, either fried crispy in a sandwich, or with a big pile of white rice. Eaten with this Filipino banana ketchup called Mafran. Eggs, scrambled with tomatoes and green onions, with fish sauce. Chocolate rice porridge for breakfast. Any "hard" fresh fruit, like apples, pears, nectarines, diced up and covered with vinegar and lots of salt.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Sweet pickle sanwiches--white bread, mayo, sliced sweet pickles.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Mmmmm

Peanut butter and strawberry jelly on Ritz crackers

I still love both, but don't eat them that often.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Potato chip sandwich. White bread (Wonder Bread, accept no substitutes), ketchup, yellow mustard, and Lay's or Ruffles. Something about the soft and the crunchy.

Anything Hostess. Twinkies, Ho-Hos, the cupcakes with the white squiggly, all of it. I have been very sad the last few years to discover the creamy white wonder inside doesn't taste good to me anymore.

Peanut butter and jelly on matzah. But I still eat that. :)