Replies

• sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Negligence on my part.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I was skinny but around 8 or so i had an allergic reaction to mosquito bites. Had to get steroids for them to go away and after that I put on weight. Also poor eating habits and pepsi
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've always had a big appetite. I'm also very fond of the internet and video games. I dislike exercise and sports.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I've always been obese and I've always eaten mostly "healthy" with a few snacks thrown in every now and then and a cup (as in 200-250 ml, not a whole bottle) of soda pop every now and then. It wasn't me trying to be consciously healthy, it's just what I liked to eat. My problem was that I ate all day nonstop + very large portions during main meals + lots of olive oil. I would grab an orange, an hour later a small greek yogurt sandwich smothered with olive oil, 30 minutes later a banana...etc, the have my lunch (3 cups of steamed rice for example with some kind of micro stew).

The moment I started becoming morbidly obese was when I started working from home after a back injury and introduced more high calorie convenience snacks like chips and chocolate that I could just keep next to me and snack mindlessly all throughout the day without having to get up (in addition to my main meals of course).

To lose the weight, I had to start paying attention to what I'm eating. Mindless was no longer a choice. Funny, when I started paying attention I actually noticed some of the things that I ate I don't actually like, I just ate them because they're there and easy to grab without thinking. I also had to re-think portions. It was hard at first, and if I let go I could still eat large portions because my hunger signals are messed up and I'm always and constantly hungry. With strategic planning I was able to identify things that fill me up more than others like oatmeal, potatoes, apples, cheese...etc. and eat more of those than other things.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Stopping exercise while eating the same amount
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I turn to food during times of stress. Also don't sleep well and find myself reaching for sweets and chocolates to try and stay awake during the day.
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hiya, looks like your an emotional eater and there is nothing to be ashamed of with that.

I watched a BBC weight loss programme that put together scientists and doctors from various areas of health to come up with a science proof version of weight loss for the individual.

They had 76 people put into three groups, the emotional eaters, the festers (those who's hormones don't tell them they are full) and the constant craters (those who are hungry all the time).
    It was amazing to learn a few things about our eating habits.

Myself, I suffer from a condition called PCOS polycystic ovary syndrome. A condition women get that can be totally soul destroying as it involves weight gain, fertility and has many horrible symptoms like acne and hair loss or gain.

I'm currently following a low GI, low carb, low saturated fat and no sugar eating plan. It's been a bit rocky but I've been reading a fantastic book called I Quit Sugar which has helped my cravings.

I've lost 1 stone and anyone with PCOS will know this is a miracle!
  • malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    meds for depression... even though I was actually anemic, not depressed... eight years later a better doctor and the pounds are dropping back.. can't wait to feel how I did before that nightmare
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    No idea. I was an obese child in a household of normal sized people. I ate the same things everyone else did, in the same portions everyone else did and participated in the same activities. My sisters were 120 lbs and I was 220 before the age of 14. I lost the weight as a teenager by starvation dieting, sub 1000 calories a day. I kept the weight off for ten years and at some point was able to return to normal eating. I would gain ten lbs, notice and lose it again. I pretty much maintained in that manner until I lost my job in 2008 and promptly gained 60-70 lbs in 2 months to return to my previous childhood weight of 220. I didn't drastically change my eating, but, I was really stressed. Since then, I've been doing the whole 'lifestyle' change thing, but that has done nothing. I'm getting ready to jump back into old teenage me's starvation diet as nothing else has worked for me.

Maybe check with your doctor and have your thyroid checked or your insulin levels? Also people who have PCOS have a more difficult time losing weight. Good luck to you.

I do have a thyroid problem, my doctor was in the middle of tracking it down when I lost insurance. She had already had T3 and T4 checked and something was amiss but she wanted another test done. That was back in 2010. Insurance at my work costs more than I earn. I would have to get a second job and pay my first employer $50 a week after they took my whole check.. lol I actually work two part time jobs and the other part time job only offers a micro health plan that is grandfathered in and makes me ineligible for the subsidy at healthcare.gov.
    But, if I ever get fulltime my insurance would be free at the first employer. I apply for every opening at my current employers, but, they would rather pick an outside hire than a fattie.. lol
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Eating too much.
  • baileysellick
    baileysellick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As soon as I finished my last competitive wrestling season, I started eating the things I had deprived myself of all those years. The result was a weight gain of about 60 pounds.
  • wackadoodle87
    wackadoodle87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Pizza and chips and cheese I literally lived on them for 3 years too yummy now I can't even enjoy a pizza taste horrible since changing my diet a few months back :)
  • LiamProctor
    LiamProctor Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Binge eating and drinking fizzy drinks. if my metabolism wasn't as good as it is i would have been in a terrible situation.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Whatever it was, it wasn't my fault
  • shakenthenubake
    shakenthenubake Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The last time I was at a healthy weight was when I was dating my college boyfriend in 2009. We broke up - was extremely nasty, he was a liar and a cheat - and I used alcohol and nachos to feel better.

6 years later I am engaged to a wonderful man and much better about drinking alcohol, but we are both lazy and enjoy computer gaming and pizza. I finished physician assistant school in August 2014 about 40 pounds heavier than I started (over a 2 year period) and I am getting married in December.

I am here to get back on track and to hell with excuses this time. I don't have PA school to blame, I don't have a crappy boyfriend to blame, it is time for me to do me.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with my weigh my entire life. But I did get to a healthy weight with proper eating and rigorous workouts. Then...

I turned 40
    Quit smoking
    Suffered a significant back injury
    Diagnosed with adult onset asthma
    Diagnosed with Meniere's disease

Ta-dah!

I've gained 50 lbs.

Oh, and I eat more than I burn. :p
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eating too much delicious food, being lazy/doing no exercise and an underactive thyroid. A trio of things guaranteed to mean fat!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    mrsjb1984 wrote: »
    An accident at 19. The 11 following years having 30+ operations and being on and off crutches. Have been in wheelchair nearly 3 years now. Im 30.

That's really tough and I feel for you. We are here if you need us!
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Being a very active recreational ballet dancer, and runner, up to age 37 - then injury, and surgery to fix the injury, stopped me in my tracks and made me virtually immobile while I recovered... BUT I forgot to stop eating at my pre-injury levels - hey presto... 2 stone weight gain.

So, basically... eating too much, moving too little (of course!).
  • virelay129
    virelay129 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh I've got all kinds of people and things to place the blame on.

My mother/my childhood and her lack of teaching me proper eating habits. etc.
    My childhood...dear goodness, lets never go back there.
    My marriage, my job, my emotions, depression, weight gain, lack of will power, etc.

But really it was me not wanting to say no. A lying "non-fiction" author once said, "Every addiction is the conscious decision to say yes or no." No matter the source, it's still true.

It was me....not saying no. I take responsibility for the past, but I also take responsibility for my future. As well as my sons. I'm hoping he'll thank me one day. :)