What made you fat?

Replies

• SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Lisa_0527 wrote: »
    depression....or more specifically the emotional eating combined with the medication I was on.

I was going through a very bad time and in a matter of 8 months I gain 70 pounds. Now I am off the medication and regaining control of my life day by day.

^
    This

• DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Eating whatever and as much as I wanted. That was fine, until... I hit 50.
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Fructose its additive its in everything avoid like the plague.
  • Shauna2626
    Shauna2626 Posts: 196 Member
    I love food!!
    I did not learn the best eating habits from my parents, and developed a complicated relationship with food.
    I used to use food as a way to manage negative emotions.
    I used to be very sedentary.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    I just somewhere along the line lost my hunger-fullness cues. I just don't feel either hunger or fullness, which is a problem because I can just keep eating as it's enjoyable.
  • domidatt
    domidatt Posts: 28 Member
    Cashew Clusters
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    I sat on my *kitten* most of the time and paid little or no attention to how much I was eating. And I was eating a whole bunch, in part to avoid dealing with some crap I was carrying around.

Dealt with the crap, and started moving more and eating less.
  • Mine was lack of activity, I think. I always ate fairly poorly, but it never impacted me until I was about 12, when I stopped playing outside as much. I was really into books, and still am, and therefore it was... just a nicer feeling to seclude myself away and read for days, hardly moving at all, while then eating exactly the same crap. Food hadn't been an issue until I stopped playing (I was a VERY active kid - played soccer at school, always joined in with sports, danced around at home, played with younger siblings).
    - As an adult, I just hadn't been able to get back into it, until about two years ago, when I started swimming and exercising. Now I have complete control over what I eat, and it's great. I'm losing weight and feeling better than I have in years.
  • antiguadreams
    antiguadreams Posts: 8 Member
    I snickered at a few jokes here... but I am going to give you the honest answer as it pertains to me.

My dad died in october 2006. I previously moved back home to take care of my parents who were both in ailing health. I'm the baby of the family... mom had me at 42. so my folks were in their mis 70's and needing someone to drive them places and just be around to help out. When dad died it started me on an emotional trip of food and alcohol abuse, that escalated when mom died in november 2008. That destroyed me. Food and alcohol were my medicine, and I gained 150lbs from 2008 to 2013. (50lbs from when dad died in 2006 to end of 2008). I lost 65 pounds from october 2013, to may 2014. I put 38lbs back on by 3/9/2015. so I'm working down from 410lbs now. I know my body has the time and health to recover. I just need to keep focused on my diet with support of people who care. My girlfriend Molly Rose is my biggest supporter, and without her I would not have the drive to loose the weight as much as I do. I want to be a better man for her, and for our future together. She has a few pounds to loose herself, about 50lb to get back down to her 140lb goal weight.

So to summarize, depression and grief. that lead me to gain my weight. Food was my comfort, along with alcohol. I kicked the bottle over two years ago. now its still food. I love to enjoy good food. now I am focusing my attention on making good tasting healthy foods.

That's a look into this big teddy bear. :blush:

-Matt
  • SlimBride2Be2016
    SlimBride2Be2016 Posts: 28 Member
    Genetics.. 2 kids, having a passion for culinary arts, and going into the grocery store hungry.... Lol... Oh and procrastination..
  • ArcticSero
    ArcticSero Posts: 63 Member
    My job.
    Before I got one I was some kid in HS, never really bothered eating much except for lunch, breakfast, w/e my parents made for dinner.
    Then I got a job.
    That job got me money.
    Money made me realized I can buy whatever I want and eventually college hit and I was just eating and augh. I gained the freshman 20, forget freshman 15.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Mindless eating. Being too sedentary. Putting my family members needs before my own.
    Pain. And...lots of excuses.
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Being called 'fat' when I was young and not even overweight,just shaped differently than other kids because I'm short led to a very poor self esteem that decayed more and more growing up. Then add birth control,lack of exersize,eating too much fast food because the only money we had fed 3 people and we had to eat what the 3rd person wanted to avoid a fight, drinking soda,more years of birth control, a desk job, a bad galbladder that required surgery, and now that I'm working to resolve the birth control, have resolved the fast food and soda problem and the galbladder is gone, the only thing keeping me overweight is big portions and not enough activity. All on me now and I accept that, but I will never allow someone to call me 'Fat' again and get away with out a rebuttal.
  • Omg I feel u
    For awhile it was just that I ate my feelings. Whenever anything bad happened, I needed something to make me feel good. ( as pathetic as that sounds) then i just developed a huge appetite. The idea of eating even 2000 calories a day made me cringe. Like "how the hell would I get full off that?" I must've stretched out my stomach a lot to feel like I needed so many calories just to be full.

Now I'm at that point where I can get full off only 1500 calories a day and even then, I don't really think about how hungry I am anymore. My only problem is eating from boredom. I get a couple days off and I just don't know what to do with myself sometimes! I'm sitting around the house and thinking of what to do with my time and it just seems like a fun idea to make plans to go out and go to a restaurant or something. It's not even really the craving of the food, it's the social part of it that gets me. Right now I'm just trying to keep myself busy with other things and reminding myself that if I need to stuff my face because I'm bored, then I've got a problem lol

• FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Beer and pizza...not necessarily in that order.
  • kcaitbpaitw
    kcaitbpaitw Posts: 14 Member
    I was fat my whole life, so I don't know what started it. Definitely used food as my hug at the end of the day for ~20 years.

I do know what is making me less fat though. Last year I put a lot of emotional work into stopping the guilt related to eating food (whether I overeat or not). It put things in perspective and at least stopped fueling the fire.

This year I have made it a point to take up pottery and create goals for both my art and my fitness. I do better with an action plan, and creating gives me an outlet to let some stuff go.
  • timeisfiction
    timeisfiction Posts: 25 Member
    Sitting on the couch eating chips and watching the biggest loser and feeling sorry for myself day after day. It was exhausting.
  • A few things, but I think the big one is that I was raised not to feel anything, so I ate instead from a very young age. So now I'm an adult and still eat as an alternative to feeling any emotion. It's gotten worse and worse over the years, and now I'm trying to get control over it.
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    CI > CO.