What made you fat?

Replies

• runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Eating like crap and drinking all the time, and never exercising.
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    fitinthe6 wrote: »
    cookies, popcorn, mcdonalds, chinese takeout, fried chicken, potatoes, rice...

This is me.!
  • Sunnysided1
    Sunnysided1 Posts: 35 Member
    Eating out nearly every meal. I gained about 13 lbs in a year. I gain weight whenever I eat out more. Even eating 2 meals a day diss not cut down on calories. I could blame eating unhealthy food too, but it's really the calories in the end. It's much easier being a normal weight when I make all my meals at home especially from scratch.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    tffcx wrote: »
    Crash dieting to lose that extra few pounds led to binging and putting on WAY more than the initial extra few pounds. :(

I hear ya on that. At the time I didn't realize it, but I had an eating disorder for years and years. I would starve myself until I lost a pound and then binge eat like crazy. Even all these years later, it's hard to escape that mindset. I thought I was so good at losing weight at that time when in reality, I set myself up to fail again and again. You can't truly keep the weight off until you have a healthy relationship with food
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Eating out nearly every meal. I gained about 13 lbs in a year. I gain weight whenever I eat out more. Even eating 2 meals a day diss not cut down on calories. I could blame eating unhealthy food too, but it's really the calories in the end. It's much easier being a normal weight when I make all my meals at home especially from scratch.

I'm glad you were able to have enough insight to figure it out. And I see that was your first post. Welcome!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Meds led to a huge and sharp gain, then lifestyle aggravated it
  • wildflowerherbal
    wildflowerherbal Posts: 28 Member
    I have a big appetite and get shakey if I don't eat regularly. I'm now eating a lot of protein and moderate good fats. But previously it was a carb fest. Also had 2 kids and got chubby.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Simple, way overeating too much food.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    In 1996, I gave birth to my first child, who ended up being born with a very rare metabolic disease. So rare, that 75% of the children born with this disease die in the first few weeks of life.. To date, (she's now almost 19 years old!) she is still the ONLY child born in West Virginia with this disease and lived. But, those first several years of her life were very harrowing, I could never let her out of my sight, I had to be on constant alert for any sign of a decline in her health, it was very hard to keep her alive those first years.. Needless to say, I was exhausted all the time and had absolutely no me time. I swilled Coke to stay awake. I ate on the run, which tends to be high calorie stuff. I could not exercise at all. And then I had her brother.. more baby weight. I was overweight most of my 20s and all of my 30s. Finally at 40, I began running and tracking my food. It saved my life and my sanity.
  • tmorm
    tmorm Posts: 32 Member
    KayRisTee wrote: »
    Not having any idea of what correct portions sizes were. I would eat 6 cookies without realizing that 1 or 2 was the correct number to eat. Years of doing this made fat. I had no idea how I much I was actually eating.

Yep. Totally the same here, no idea at all of portion sizes or moderation, warped from the time I was little. Even as a kid, the portions my mother would serve, I look back on it now, and I was used to eating huge portions of everything from a young age. In our house we had to eat every single thing that was put on our plate, if we didn't we had to sit there until we had eaten it all, if we took too long then we got a hiding for wasting food.

When I got older, all of a sudden takeaways, fish n chips etc weren't a treat anymore, they were part of my weekly diet, as well as Maccas for breakfast, mince and cheese pies, sausage rolls, KFC. Had no idea what I was doing to myself. Or maybe I did and didn't care enough about myself to actually give a toss.

I have learnt and continue to learn so much doing this. Regular portion sizes can actually fill me up! One portion of chicken does not mean two thighs and a drumstick lol, and there are other ways of cooking rather than frying the shite out of everything. I can feel energetic, healthy and fit by watching what I eat, enjoying treats in moderation, and exercising. Who would have thought? lol
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    I ate to god damn much and I wasnt active.
  • mrsjb1984
    mrsjb1984 Posts: 18 Member
    An accident at 19. The 11 following years having 30+ operations and being on and off crutches. Have been in wheelchair nearly 3 years now. Im 30.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    going on the contraceptive injection at 17 which increased my appetite, slowing my metabolism by making my body progesterone dominant and lack of exercise. i put on 5 stone in a year and stayed this way until i had my son. put on some more weight and then had 2 more children. 193lbs at 5ft was the time to change
  • bb4886
    bb4886 Posts: 118 Member
    I had an operation and ate because i was alone because everyone has jobs and i sat in the house not being ablte to get our or move around, people bought me cakes and sweets and i sat and ate them watchin buffy re-runs. Then my husband insisted i ate to get better so ontop of that i had 3 decent meals a day with what ever i wanted in them, bacon, chips, decerts etc
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited March 2015
    Eating too much and not exercising.

Someone blamed their mother :o . lol
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I forgot to poop.
    Or maybe it was me.
    You know, putting fork to mouth.

Is this a trick question?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    It wasn't my fault I got fat - it was down to the guy who drove his car into my knee and put me on crutches and off work for 3 months. Bored, depressed at the permanent loss of function as well as being much less active. Gained a load of weight as I watched my leg muscles atrophy. Got fit again but never lost the excess weight.

And 20 years later I finally faced up to the fact that the car driver wasn't visiting me every day and making me eat too much. Taking personal responsibility for what I stuffed in my cake hole led to the loss of the excess 34lbs of blubber.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    No idea. I was an obese child in a household of normal sized people. I ate the same things everyone else did, in the same portions everyone else did and participated in the same activities. My sisters were 120 lbs and I was 220 before the age of 14. I lost the weight as a teenager by starvation dieting, sub 1000 calories a day. I kept the weight off for ten years and at some point was able to return to normal eating. I would gain ten lbs, notice and lose it again. I pretty much maintained in that manner until I lost my job in 2008 and promptly gained 60-70 lbs in 2 months to return to my previous childhood weight of 220. I didn't drastically change my eating, but, I was really stressed. Since then, I've been doing the whole 'lifestyle' change thing, but that has done nothing. I'm getting ready to jump back into old teenage me's starvation diet as nothing else has worked for me.

Maybe check with your doctor and have your thyroid checked or your insulin levels? Also people who have PCOS have a more difficult time losing weight. Good luck to you.
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2015
    I ate roughly 5000 calories a day in the Army.

Got out of army.

Continued to eat 5000 calories a day.

Stopped exercising.

Played 50hrs+ of WOW a week.

Two years later...well, *kitten* happens.

Realized it was the 5000 calories, stopped eating so much. but only ate enough to maintain my weight for the next 6 years.

Only started losing my weight 3 years ago. Im not in a hurry.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Besides the obvious I ate too much. I think the main reason I let myself become that way is that I stopped caring.