What made you fat?

Options

Replies

• fitinthe6
    fitinthe6 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cookies, popcorn, mcdonalds, chinese takeout, fried chicken, potatoes, rice...
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    albalegume wrote: »
    The terrible trio: Stress, Boredom and Peach Pie.

OMG...

NOT THE PEACH PIE.

(Running. Toward the peach pie)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Starvation mode. I was eating 700 calories and balooned up to obese status.

dat starvation mode
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Popcorn and jelly beans. I ate them all day and night.
    When I stopped, the weight fell off easily.
    I always see popcorn mentioned here as a healthy low calorie treat. I can't just nibble on a bit of popcorn, I eat a whole jumbo bag to myself.

So do I. I still think it's low calorie for how much food it is.

I ate 47g of air-popped popcorn tonight with lots of marge and shredded cheese on it. Only came up to a few hundred calories for being a HUGE bowl.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go the way of air popped corn soon. It seems like it shaves off like 100 calories for a similar quantity as a bag of newmans or something? And I like it too.
    I've eaten air-popped for years, not for weight loss. I think it tastes good... the bagged stuff in the microwave is good but only sometimes, it's just super greasy and salty!

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I started dating my husband! Actually--I would say the initial weight gain *was* caused by way too much restaurant/take-out at a time in my life (age 17-18) when I had a) just stopped growing and b) hadn't really learned the self-control/mindfulness habits required to have all that freedom with food.

Beyond that, just too many calories, bearing 5 children, and eventually the forced inactivity of obesity-related joint problems.
  • vividii
    vividii Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Getting a car. Prior to getting a car, I underestimated how much exercise I got just getting places, even with taking public transportation. Driving everywhere and not adjusting how I ate had a big impact on my weight.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Laziness.....Xbox, animal crackers, and the dairy queen two blocks away. Oh and beer
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I got fat from snacking every single night from 8pm until midnight! EVERY NIGHT~!
    Never, ever, ever going to do that again.
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    My weight really started to get out of control when I was pregnant with my daughter. I had hypertension, bad. I couldn't even wear shoes because my feet were so swollen. I had to go on bed rest because of another issue, and things just went down hill from there. When she was born she was very high needs and I had the worst post partum depression/anxiety in the world. The last thing I cared about was eating right. Then my thyroid decided it was done working properly. One thing after another, really. I had finally started losing weight and feeling alright again when I found out I was pregnant with my 3rd child. FML. Oh well. Back on track now.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    vividii wrote: »
    Getting a car. Prior to getting a car, I underestimated how much exercise I got just getting places, even with taking public transportation. Driving everywhere and not adjusting how I ate had a big impact on my weight.

Getting a car all those years ago definitely contributed to my fatness. Before, i would think "Mcdonalds' sounds good. But i don't wanna take a bus and then transfer and then come back. Thats a long trip. And i'm not gonna walk 3 miles! I'll just get it later".

After i got a car "hey. It'll be a 20 minute round trip and i don't even have to use my legs!" Fatness came easy
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Too many large European-style ice creams while touring Europe a couple years ago.

You know the kind ... they come in a large glass, several scoops of ice cream, topped with a generous coating of chocolate and irish cream or rum or something, plus heaps of whipped cream.

They were lunch on many of the days over the 2-ish months we were there, and the cycling we were doing was just not burning them off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I've more or less maintained my weight since then in a ... down a few kg ... up a few kg ... down a few kg ... up a few kg ... pattern. I'm not far into the "overweight" BMI category, but just enough that I'd like to go down a few kg, and stay down.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    The real reason: Eating and drinking too much and not exercising until I was over

My excuses: Quitting smoking sucked. I put on 50lbs like instantly. I always dealt with emotions with nicotine. Once I quit I used food and food tasted better when I quit smoking. 2 back to back pregnancies didn't help, but that's what happens when you decide to have kids and you're old as *kitten*. Gotta bang those suckers out while the clock is still ticking.
  • laurenjill25
    Options
    Quitting my job and working from home did it. I went from running around serving all day to sitting. All day. When that happens you need to make the time for exercise. Or it's fat city :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I just said no. Then found food.
  • brookekato
    brookekato Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I definitely overeat. Whether it's binge-eating or just eating too much when going out to dinner, I do it, and I do it often. Which is also a leading cause as to why I'm not losing any weight and gained back all the pounds I lost. (I'm very sad about that, actually). But how did you guys lose it and stay motivated and focused even when you wanted to go eat? How did you change your mindset?
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    A combination of sloth and gluttony.
  • tffcx
    tffcx Posts: 20 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Crash dieting to lose that extra few pounds led to binging and putting on WAY more than the initial extra few pounds. :(
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I sure understand emotional eating. I eat when I am happy sad and anything in between. I am getting better but i still have days when I just eat to eat. Now I try to at least make it something healthy like carrots or celery instead of chips etc.