What made you fat?

Options
For awhile it was just that I ate my feelings. Whenever anything bad happened, I needed something to make me feel good. ( as pathetic as that sounds) then i just developed a huge appetite. The idea of eating even 2000 calories a day made me cringe. Like "how the hell would I get full off that?" I must've stretched out my stomach a lot to feel like I needed so many calories just to be full.

Now I'm at that point where I can get full off only 1500 calories a day and even then, I don't really think about how hungry I am anymore. My only problem is eating from boredom. I get a couple days off and I just don't know what to do with myself sometimes! I'm sitting around the house and thinking of what to do with my time and it just seems like a fun idea to make plans to go out and go to a restaurant or something. It's not even really the craving of the food, it's the social part of it that gets me. Right now I'm just trying to keep myself busy with other things and reminding myself that if I need to stuff my face because I'm bored, then I've got a problem lol

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eating and drinking too much.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    EL Fudge and all those elves.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Boredom eating of chocolate/salty snacks, overeating in general, and being extremely sedentary.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Beer. But that's not something I am going to cut back on too much.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    50 surplus calories a day, and time.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Living in new jersey, I ate pizza, cheesesteaks and hoagies every day of my life. I was 205 lbs from high school through 27 years old. I move to the midwest and started eating corn fed everything and i blew up to 300 lbs. science.
  • nowweseeyou
    nowweseeyou Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    My mother
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eating and drinking too much.

enough said
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thought this said "what made you fart "... Never mind, then.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Popcorn and jelly beans. I ate them all day and night.
    When I stopped, the weight fell off easily.
    I always see popcorn mentioned here as a healthy low calorie treat. I can't just nibble on a bit of popcorn, I eat a whole jumbo bag to myself.
  • jlhudsons
    jlhudsons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a few months back and now working on the weight loss. Amazing how you feel like you eat so little yet it takes SO long to drop the pounds. When I get to my goal, I wonder HOW I am going to maintain.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eating way, way too much.

I stopped watching my portions and started the many "all you can eat of only Food Category X" diets in rotation, one to the next to the next, in the late 80s. From that point onward it was a struggle of eating, say, "low fat" (10-15%) but "all I wanted" and gaining, then severely restricting. For many years I went up and down that way and was overall very slim...but all the while I was wondering, "Book X said this was GOING to work. What am I doing wrong?"

Then 11 years ago, everything went to shoot and I could no longer maintain the severe restriction portion of the equation following the binges of "only Food X" and I got...fat.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Initially? My parents not telling me no whenever I asked for more and them insisting I not do any real physical activities out of worry that I would hurt myself.

What kept it going was a love of overeating and a love of a sedentary lifestyle.
  • DucklingPrincess
    DucklingPrincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Junior year of high school. I had four different AP and Dual Credit classes so I didn't have any time for anything other than schoolwork. So I decided to make up for not having time to do anything I like by eating what I like, and well....
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    No idea. I was an obese child in a household of normal sized people. I ate the same things everyone else did, in the same portions everyone else did and participated in the same activities. My sisters were 120 lbs and I was 220 before the age of 14. I lost the weight as a teenager by starvation dieting, sub 1000 calories a day. I kept the weight off for ten years and at some point was able to return to normal eating. I would gain ten lbs, notice and lose it again. I pretty much maintained in that manner until I lost my job in 2008 and promptly gained 60-70 lbs in 2 months to return to my previous childhood weight of 220. I didn't drastically change my eating, but, I was really stressed. Since then, I've been doing the whole 'lifestyle' change thing, but that has done nothing. I'm getting ready to jump back into old teenage me's starvation diet as nothing else has worked for me.
  • Lisa_0527
    Lisa_0527 Posts: 90 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    depression....or more specifically the emotional eating combined with the medication I was on.

I was going through a very bad time and in a matter of 8 months I gain 70 pounds. Now I am off the medication and regaining control of my life day by day.
  • lostangelntx
    Options
    My back went bad in my early 30's due to a riding accident and the hard physical work I did. I spent 3 months in severe pain, stooped over and barely able to walk. When I finally was able to go back to work I found I could no longer do the strenuous job I was doing without extreme pain. I became fearful of doing anything physical. So I took a desk job and 20 years later I looked in the mirror weighing in at almost 300 lbs at only 5'7". Because of it I am now having a lot of other health issues. I realized it's time to face the fear or die.
  • KayRisTee
    KayRisTee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Not having any idea of what correct portions sizes were. I would eat 6 cookies without realizing that 1 or 2 was the correct number to eat. Years of doing this made fat. I had no idea how I much I was actually eating.
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Not that I've ever been officially diagnosed, but I think I had Compulsive Over-Eating Disorder. I got fat at like, 6 or 7 years old, right after my baby sister died, and stayed that way until I was 22. I remember taking my mum's food one time and hiding in my room to eat it and getting in so much trouble. I was in such a trance when I did it. I guess I've just always dealt with stress through food, even at such a young age.